Kimbobee December 15th, 2015 4:45am

Does caffeine intake at night affect your ability to sleep?

kjs Minnesota
12/15/15 6:25 pm

I don't drink any form of caffeine, so it won't bother me at all.

pedwingeorge Benson IL
12/15/15 7:13 am

There was one time that i drank a 20 oz bottle of mt dew right before bed and i didn't sleep very good that night but it usually doesn't bother me

shiculka optimistic realist
12/15/15 5:48 am

Not at all. I sleep like a baby.

EarlyBird Portland
12/15/15 4:02 am

Yes!! That's why I'm still up! I had strong coffee at 10am and still can't unwind.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/14/15 11:28 pm

Actually, it helps me sleep. A "feature" of ADHD. 🙃

Maj Worth Economist
12/14/15 10:48 pm

No caffeine after 5 pm for me. Caffeine usually lasts about six hours in my system. I'd tell you to drink some decaf green or black tea to negate the effect of caffeine on your system, but you can't drink it. It works miracles for caffeine withdrawal, too.

Kimbobee the middle of nowhere
12/14/15 10:52 pm

I've had herbal tea before but I'm not really a fan. Do you have any favorite brands? The only tea I've ever liked was some kind of peach tea I tried on vacation once.

Maj Worth Economist
12/14/15 11:01 pm

Herbal tea doesn't have the same amino acid (theanine) to help with caffeine. Only actual tea, but that's against the WoW so BYU probably won't allow it. 😕

I do drink a lot of herbals, though. Celestial Seasonings is my go-to brand; I just like their blends better. They have a great holiday tea that's herbal that I'm enjoying right now: Cranberry Vanilla Wonderland.

Kimbobee the middle of nowhere
12/14/15 11:05 pm

Ah I thought herbal and green were the same thing... My family has always only considered black tea against the WoW but I'd guess BYU is a bit stricter that that. I'll have to look up that brand and try some someday. That holiday one sounds good! 😊

Maj Worth Economist
12/15/15 12:59 am

Red tea (rooibos) isn't the same thing. It's actually in the bean (legume) family. So that totally counts as herbal. There are some really great chai blends with rooibos instead of tea.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
12/15/15 6:48 am

Roubus and herbals are not teas at all but tisanes. White, green, oolong and black are true teas with oolong and black having the most caffeine. White has barely no caffeine because it is the least processed.

imanag My heaven on Earth
12/14/15 10:24 pm

Definitely, any caffeine after 7 p.m. and I'm guaranteed a night of insomnia. I wasn't like that when I was younger.

susanr Colorado
12/14/15 10:18 pm

It has for some years. If I have almost any amount of caffeine any time after early afternoon, I'm just not sleepy until very very late. When I was younger it didn't seem to affect my sleep at all.

SaintAnger sumkindamonster
12/14/15 10:16 pm

It depends. If I've been drinking it regularly, which recently I have been, no. When I stop drinking it (or eating it I guess) absolutely. I'll be up at 4 am and have no idea why.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
12/14/15 10:06 pm

Caffeine doesn't keep me alert. It usually has no effect. Only if I drink like several strong espressos I will feel nervous but still tired.

Rosebud Ohio
12/14/15 9:52 pm

No. It can help me focus when tired, but doesn't keep me awake.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
12/14/15 9:46 pm

The only caffeine I ever have is in chocolate

Kimbobee the middle of nowhere
12/14/15 9:48 pm

I had an XL Hershey Special Dark bar today too...I'm making great choices. 😂

Kimbobee the middle of nowhere
12/14/15 9:45 pm

A couple friends just brought me a huge 44 oz Mountain Dew...I'm putting it to the test! Although I think I'll sleep fine since I got less than 6 hours last night which isn't nearly enough for me.