teachinla December 14th, 2015 6:14pm

This poll is inspired by the Merry Christmas poll. When you say Happy New Year, you are referring to the Christian calendar. Chinese, Jews, and Muslims (I believe), don't follow that calendar. Should you instead say Happy January 1?

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/14/15 4:00 pm

Regardless of their alternate calendar, they live in America by choice. Therefore they should understand what we mean when we wish them a Happy New Year. It's the new year that we use in America. It's an official American holiday.

Sk8BoredR Asian American warrior
12/15/15 2:35 am

"Live in America by Choice" what do you mean?

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/15/15 11:54 am

I am stressing that no one is making them live here. They have apparently chosen this country, with all of its culture and freedoms. Therefore, they should at least put out the effort to learn our customs, holidays, history, and, most of all, language. On the other hand, I will gladly wish them a happy holiday from their calendar, and I enjoy seeing the smiles on their faces when they realize that someone took the time to care that it is Diwali or Ramadan or Chinese New Year's. And I actually have begun celebrating the Jewish festivals, because they are all relevant to my own Christian faith.

teachinla California
12/15/15 5:55 pm

Good for you. I am trying to do more of that as well.

Sk8BoredR Asian American warrior
12/15/15 6:11 pm

Better to say with all of it's "cultures"... Not culture. We're a multicultural nation and its important that we understand that not everyone in this country celebrates each other's holidays based on nation of ancestry, religion, etc... The American experience for you may different from me but we at least see that different subcultures have different holidays. I'm like you, I acknowledge them. I think that's a good thing. 😉

As far as the language I have to disagree with you there. Since there is no official language people don't have to learn English if they don't want to. I was born here but I learned English as a second language and I'm fluent in 5 languages and I'm still in high school. I think we should respect the fact that people have the freedom to choose if they want to learn English or not. Personally I think it's important, but my whole family speaks many languages. We don't have to agree with the choice to not learn English but they have the "freedom" to do so.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/15/15 11:02 pm

Cool! What are your other languages? I'm guessing Korean came first, right?

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
12/14/15 3:51 pm

As a Jew, I voted "silly."

I don't think of the New Year holiday as a religious holiday. I don't think of the commonly-used calendar as a Christian calendar.

I do use the Jewish calendar to keep track of Jewish holidays and the like (anniversary of death, for example). Obviously, I use the normal calendar for everything else in daily life.

Sk8BoredR Asian American warrior
12/15/15 2:31 am

I agree with you it's silly! As an Asian we celebrate both Lunar New Year and the Dec 31 one as well. They're both celebrated across Asia just lunar new year is a much older holiday. No Asian person would expect you to say something different.

Xemanis Lawful Good
12/14/15 12:17 pm

Isn't it a pagan calendar too? Not quite sure about that, but if anyone knows it'd be nice information. I'd look it up myself if my internet were more functional right now.

teachinla California
12/14/15 3:35 pm

It started out as a Roman 10-month calendar, then was adopted and modified by the early Christians, and later tweeked further by the Christians.

OldPoop
12/14/15 12:15 pm

Way too much calendar correctness here.