DerekWills December 11th, 2015 3:26pm

I am sitting in the 308th District Court waiting on Judge James Lombardino to order my legal name change from Derek Auflick to Derek Wills. Once it's done, my username will change from DerekA to DerekW. Just letting y'all know!

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/12/15 5:32 pm

Hey! What happened to Dereq Aleph?
(Congratz!)

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
12/13/15 7:22 am

It would appear that I am now דרק ווילס, assuming that Google Translate is correct.

chinito Florida
12/13/15 10:05 am

דרק ווילס looks fine. There is no "W" in Hebrew so they usually use ״וו״

מזל טוב!

lcamino Florida and Georgia
12/11/15 10:12 pm

That's great. Wondering if you have a wife and children, and if they would change their names also. My daughter legally changed her name after she got married. She changed the spelling of her name, and entirely deleted her maiden name.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
12/13/15 7:23 am

Wait, what happened?

lcamino Florida and Georgia
12/13/15 5:34 pm

She went through the court to change her name . Her maiden name is no longer part of her name . She uses her married last name. Professionally she uses her first name. Her friends call her by her middle name, which now is spelled differently.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
12/13/15 5:34 pm

Weird... Any reason why she did that?

lcamino Florida and Georgia
12/13/15 5:43 pm

Simplification for one thing. Her friends call her by her middle name which she changed from Elaine to Layn. She dropped her maiden name to use her married name. We (the parents) have been through a long , traumatic divorce. She may have wanted to distance as well as simplify .

Kay41 the Midwest
12/11/15 2:57 pm

That's awesome, Derek!

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
12/11/15 10:02 am

Why are you changing your last name?

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/11/15 10:07 am

You typed it before I could. We have a Willis jeep.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
12/11/15 10:28 am

I was born Derek Wills (not Willis). When I was 9, my step-dad adopted my brother and I. I remember him asking if I wanted to take his name and I said yes. He always told me that if I ever wanted to change it back, he would fully support me. I've always had a great relationship with both of my fathers. They both shaped me into the man I am today. After 20 years, I decided it was time to go back to my biological father's name. I asked my stepdad for his blessing, which he gave, and my bio dad is very happy to hear I'm back to being a Wills. This wasn't done due to any sort of animosity. It was done out of love and respect.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
12/11/15 10:40 am

By the way, חנכה שמחה @GrandmaAlice!

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
12/11/15 1:13 pm

That's a beautiful story. It's a tribute to both of your fathers, that they raised you without animosity. I have seen the opposite happen, where the child suffers and it's quite sad.

Did you consider a hyphenated or combined name?

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
12/11/15 1:22 pm

And
תודה רבה (thank you very much!) for the Chanukah wishes!

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
12/11/15 1:24 pm

Ok, SOH really got that mixed up, with the left to right orientation of Hebrew, mixed in with English letters. I'm sure you get the idea.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
12/11/15 1:28 pm

I thought about it, but I always remembered my Mom telling me (before the adoption) that one of the reasons they chose Derek Reed as my name is because of how well it flowed with Wills. So, with that in mind, I decided against it. My parents gave me this name for a reason, and while it really was an honor to carry the Auflick name for the past 2 decades, it was time for me to go back to being known by my true name. It's funny. My stepdad also dealt with this same issue as a kid. His mom remarried and took the name Moore and he was faced with the same question, but he never took the name. He had nothing but love for his stepdad, but Michael Moore wasn't who he was. (Holy crap, I just realized that's what his name could have been! Thank G-d he didn't take it! Haha!). And you're quite welcome! I still need to learn how to properly celebrate Hanukkah... Worst Jew ever!

MrMilkdud
12/11/15 10:00 am

Good luck. This would be a good time to take out a big cash loan in your old name.
Just sayin'

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/11/15 10:06 am

I'm shocked to see an answer like that coming from you, what a stinker! So did you and your family my love the holidays.

MrMilkdud
12/11/15 10:08 am

Yes, but it blew by too fast. Christmas is coming too fast, too. We put the tree up a week early this year and it still feels like we have to take it down too soon!
Even the girls feel like things are going by too fast this year.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/11/15 10:43 am

I'm just not getting into the Christmas spirit this year. Although I did make a rather awesome hat for my red hat society. I've had a lot of compliments on it.

suppressedID keep Summer safe
12/11/15 9:35 am

Wha'chu talking about, Willis?

Get used to it.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
12/11/15 9:51 am

There's only one "i" in Wills!