mim December 11th, 2015 2:07pm

After meeting with several childhood specialists, this week and last, it appears my grandson is showing signs of autism. My daughter is struggling with this as am I. Do you know anyone who is autistic?

mim formerly 97123
12/12/15 2:55 pm

Overwhelmed by everyone's positive stories. Thank you all so much!

bubba2526 New Jersey
12/12/15 12:29 pm

Yeah and he has a degree in quantum physics and is one of the most successful, smartest, nicest people I know. Just listen to your dr and treat him like any other kid. Autism isn't anything to be worried about

Brilliant10 Ioway
12/11/15 10:36 pm

Classmates but no one personally

nicnerd
12/11/15 7:19 pm

My son was officially diagnosed a few weeks ago. It is not a bad thing, it just means that he interacts with the world around him differently, he is still very bright, and a very happy kid.

alynn Somewhere wonderful
12/11/15 1:27 pm

Yes! He is a very successful history professor, and has been for decades. He is a curator at a museum. He has a wonderful wife, awesome adult children, and travels the world doing missions work when he can. A diagnosis of autism is NOT the end of the world. 😊

Zomb1ePoptart Golden, Colorado
12/11/15 1:08 pm

My brother has it in a somewhat more severe manner. I've known him his whole life, 21 years.

Happy Hong Kong
12/11/15 12:40 pm

The doctors said that I was "showing signs of autism" when I was a kid too. It hasn't stopped me from living a productive life.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/11/15 10:10 am

I wish I could hug you. My grandson was diagnosed just over a year ago. I adore him I love you. But I know it is a struggle. It was very tough on my son and his wife too. Sending my love to you and your family.

theexman Practical Atheist in L.A.
12/11/15 12:14 pm

Group hug. My two year old grandson was also recently diagnosed.

professorwho Madness and Genius
12/11/15 8:58 am

I have asbergers so I'm on the autism spectrum. It's like high functioning autism.

ronderman North Carolina
12/11/15 12:08 pm

Many high functioning Austin people are extremely successful. My wife works with a physician why has that condition. He saves lives every day.

HopefulChaos ohio
12/11/15 8:57 am

My boyfriend and many previous ones.

HopefulChaos ohio
12/11/15 8:58 am

I relate better to people with autism apparently

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
12/11/15 8:31 am

Several people with varying levels.

mim formerly 97123
12/11/15 8:09 am

Thank you all for your support. My grandson is 16 months old and I am thankful we live in an area that offers such great resources. We will be working with a team of experts who will come to our home. The evaluation team indicated early intervention is really important to helping my grandson learn and grow. And they commented on how happy and loved he is. And that is the most important thing: for him to feel secure and loved.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
12/11/15 8:47 am

My girlfriend's son is high functioning. There's moments where he truly struggles, and there are things we need to do to ensure he's comfortable. For the most part though, he's a 9 yr old boy.

PamGH Washington
12/11/15 8:06 am

Huge spectrum - my daughter in law's brother is autistic and he is a ravingly successful engineer, his social skill are a bit off but he is happily married. Best of luck

political Georgia
12/11/15 7:55 am

One of my former teammates is autistic. He played tennis and chess pretty good. He even has a personality that I can appreciate.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
12/11/15 7:25 am

Yes and no: I know individuals who have an autistic family member. I know there are varying degrees of autism and that some treatments are very helpful. The odds for a path forward are in his favor.
It is a big something to wrap your brain around...

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/11/15 10:11 am

Hey sweetie you've been on my mind how are you doing? Have you floated away yet? I need to get inland but we don't know what the roads

imanag My heaven on Earth
12/11/15 7:25 am

Wow, mim, I'm sorry. I'm a special education teacher, so many of the finest people I know are autistic. One of my own boys had a frontal lobe disorder that mimics autism. CrzyChica is absolutely right about early interventions. They make a huge difference. Speech, occupational therapy, and social skills groups can do wonders. The other thing to consider is that autism has varying degrees. Many autistic children learn to function very well.

I know that it is hard to hear this kind of news about a child you love so dearly, but you're not alone. There are support groups out there, I'm a member of one myself. Please feel free to talk with me, too. I'd be happy to help.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/11/15 10:14 am

Is your son verbal? Galvin will get a word use that then lose it. He is such a cuddle bug loves to kiss and he makes eye contact. He does not like sharing my attention with his sister, however, he is 3 1/2. Pretty ordinary probably. When we were up last weekend he kept on calling me something that sounded similar to grandma. He will be four in March. Developmentally I think he's about a two-year-old. However I don't think he is intellectually impaired.

imanag My heaven on Earth
12/11/15 10:26 am

My son is actually dually exceptional. He's academically gifted, but has an executive function disorder. The simplest way to describe him is an absent minded professor. He's extremely verbal, but doesn't like to make eye contact. He's socially behind his peers by a few years, organizationally, my 9 year old us more advanced. He needs checklists to help him flow through tasks. Occupational therapy has been really helpful for him, especially the zones of regulation. I'm glad that Galvin is starting to speak. That's tremendous!! I can understand him wanting your undivided attention, too. It's a three year old and a grandma thing. He knows he's loved!

CrzyChica
12/11/15 7:14 am

I'm a teacher, so I've worked with many autistic children through the years. From what I've learned, the younger a child is when they get help/services the better it will be for them. So better to know so you can help him than not know and he struggles, you know?