PamGH December 10th, 2015 7:47pm

Searching for reasons why the grey matter in some teens brains are stunted. Overwhelmingly found study after study that blame "poverty". My problem with that is that poverty covers a lot, too much, to many common variables.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/11/15 10:23 am

I read a study where males that used pot had their sperm affected. The offspring develop symptoms similar to fetal alcohol syndrome. One thing that was noted is that they would know something was wrong but they would go ahead and do it anyway. With the school shootings it would be interesting to see if the fathers of these people used pot.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
12/10/15 4:04 pm

It's nutrition in the first five years that cause an under developed brain. A mother who doesn't eat right while pregnant, gives birth to a child she won't feed right. How many times have you seen a mother heat whatever food, in a microwave, before giving it to the kid? Then we can blame the rest on fluoride.

PamGH Washington
12/10/15 4:14 pm

You have a point and I believe that research will back up the nutrition aspect of your statement. But, I do not believe that this is a sole contributing factor, nor maybe even the most heavily weighted factor.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
12/10/15 5:06 pm

You are right. But there is no chance to overcome if you don't have a fully developed brain. Which means also you can not deal emotionally either. This leads frustration ,anger, resentment. You know the saying: You can't have a positive life, if you have a negative mind.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
12/10/15 5:12 pm

Also there is research that backs up the fluoride aspect & you just have to read the warning labels on baby food to prove the microwave point.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/11/15 10:25 am

They have the WICK program forgetting nutrition from others. And young children. Our family was on it. They also taught classes and basic nutrition. I think parking a child in front of the TV rather than engaging them in creative activity would also decreased brain development.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
12/11/15 1:56 pm

The wick program does not keep the fluoride out of the water, and the nutrition classes have failed to teach people not to feed children food that has been heated in a microwave.

PamGH Washington
12/10/15 1:40 pm

I'm not surprised. I'm just saying that to simply lift people out of poverty probably would not correct the situation. It's got to be things that go with poverty, like, education, parenting skills, chaotic households, violence, stress, etc...just what my instincts are telling me is all.

Maj Worth Economist
12/10/15 1:52 pm

Poverty is directly related to what you've said: no enough money leads to constant stress, you can't afford good neighborhoods to live in - violence and poor education, you can't get counseling or parental support because parents are working...

Maj Worth Economist
12/10/15 1:54 pm

...and can't afford it - bad parenting skills, poor people tend to live in more polluted locations (I read one study that even linked noise pollution with stunted language development) and that can lead to poorer health. Giving people enough money...

Maj Worth Economist
12/10/15 1:54 pm

...to change their environment and stress levels does A LOT.

MrsCrayonWax Kathys Klown
12/10/15 1:34 pm

That really is broad. Did they mean poverty as in dire straits, poverty mentality, this would link well with your study about words.

PamGH Washington
12/10/15 1:42 pm

Yes thank you so very much for remembering that. If you look at the whole mess a picture starts to form for me. Just can't get that info out in a poll. Heck I don't think a 2000 word essay would be enough to describe the picture that has started to form in my head.

MrsCrayonWax Kathys Klown
12/10/15 1:48 pm

Having taught for a brief time, if you could call it that, I saw this poverty first hand. There is also an emotional component missing in these kids. It's almost like they went from newborn to having to fend for themselves, bypassing childhood and proper development. It's astonishing when you work with these kids and hear the stories they tell with no affect or perspective that the stories are really really bad.

PamGH Washington
12/10/15 1:56 pm

They know nothing else, so it must feel normal. How horridly sad.

allswel Minnesota
12/10/15 1:34 pm

Why are you surprised that poverty covers so many variables?