CzarCastic December 10th, 2015 5:50pm

Ppl nowadays get offended easily. Whether it's holidays, policies, religious beliefs etc. this never used to be. Does this movement stem from a few who feel this way & anothers jumped on or did ppl always feel this way & it came to a tipping point?

ovcourse It is a Journey
12/11/15 9:08 am

It seems as though it is taught in college these days.

pietsch Another Adoring Fan
12/11/15 7:01 am

Idiots seen to think being offended makes them look smart, informed and concerned about fairness. In truth, they are just still prickly little idiots and everyone knows it.

tawnybgood35 Las Vegas, NV
12/10/15 9:46 pm

I believe if we could not sue anybody for any little thing a lot fewer people would be offended so easily. I am not litigious. Therefor I do not offend easily. I do have a line in the sand on offenses concerning sexual harassment. But I don't want their $. I want thief jobs taken, thief status crushed and to be forever someone's lesser.

F1Dan Parked in your spot
12/10/15 8:37 pm

There have always been these people. The internet gives them a much bigger voice, so it is noticed much more.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
12/10/15 5:51 pm

There's a legitimate case to be made that it is the result of re-education camps, commonly referred to as colleges these days, performing psychological warfare on our society. Ppl are being intentionally *trained* in negative cognitive behavioral thinking to be inordinately anxious, depressed & otherwise practicing stress-inducing thought patterns. It isn't an "accident" or unpredictable.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/10/15 4:12 pm

I think people were always as easily offended, but I don't think nearly as many people always went so far out of their way to deliberately be offensive. You'd almost think life is so easy for them they have nothing more productive to do.

Rosebud Ohio
12/10/15 3:30 pm

It's just easier to be a mass dick now and not get your ass kicked or completely ostracized for it. It's also easier to hear about or from the people offended than to simply ignore them.

As Maj said below though, at least we've improved. It's more bitching less stabbing/shooting now. And hey, the people shot/stabbed at least get better healthcare afterwords.

TNBONES East Tennessee
12/10/15 2:55 pm

It is very hard for me to be offended. If I have ever thought I had been offended, I would consider the source. If say.........Obama or a liberal said something that might offend me I would laugh. Silly liberals, brains are for conservatives

MrsCzarCastic
12/10/15 2:52 pm

Everyone gets offended by everything. This is racist, that is sexist, blah blah blah. Give me a fucking break and get over yourselves.

FameO
12/10/15 2:49 pm

Everyone is offended and everyone has a disability of some kind. I have a disability....."I'm gluten intolerant". "Don't offend me and say it's not true"

CoffeeNow CCP virus
12/10/15 2:34 pm

Remember 15 years ago when everyone was complaining parents were coddling their kids, supporting participation trophies, and being helicopter parents?

Now those kids are teenagers, and this is the result

Ebola1 Florida
12/10/15 1:38 pm

Young ppl seem to require something to protest. My generation had the Vietnam War. If they don't have something important to protest they'll make something up. I imagine some of those seeking safe zones and telling college professors they're disgusting will be highly embarrassed by their actions when they reach adulthood.

duey in a fools paradise
12/10/15 1:24 pm

This countries always catered to the minority view point it's gotten to the point of ridicules levels. I thank god everyday I went to schools that encouraged free speech, thought and discussion. We didn't need safe zones or complain about being offended if someone said something we disagreed with.

Ebola1 Florida
12/10/15 1:32 pm

Well stated!

Krystina Live and Let Live
12/10/15 1:13 pm

My take is that it comes from a very vocal and whiney minority.

TheCameron UCF
12/10/15 12:51 pm

"Ppl nowadays get offended easily. Whether it's holidays, policies, religious beliefs etc. this never used to be."

I reject the assumptions of your question, I'm not particularly convinced either is the case, so it's hard for me to answer

Maj Worth Economist
12/10/15 12:50 pm

Duels were actually a thing. Hamilton wrote some nasty things about Burr in the newspaper during the NY gubernatorial election and they fought to the death over it. I consider getting pissed off on the Internet and then going about your life perfectly OK an improvement.

Rosebud Ohio
12/10/15 3:27 pm

Nah, better when they were REAL men and fought to the death over hurt feelings or imagined slights!!!

getupbaby South City
12/10/15 12:50 pm

If you're offended by "Happy Holidays!" or "Merry Christmas", then I'm just not greeting you anymore. Have a shitty day!

mugendraco Alabama
12/10/15 11:56 am

Mob mentality. It's a dangerous thing.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
12/10/15 11:33 am

I disagree that people didn't used to be easily offended.
It has always been easy to offend people if you knew the right buttons to push.
The difference is that, nowadays, (1) people mash those buttons as much and as fast as they can, and (2) somehow people have become convinced that the person who is offended is at fault for being offended, not the person who is deliberately causing offense.

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
12/10/15 12:13 pm

Very nicely said Milk.

CzarCastic
12/10/15 2:27 pm

Very true milk. But you don't see this as being more evident than ever? I'm in give me a break it seems like every little goddamn thing somebody says somebody out there disagrees with it. Did all of these people come out of hiding or are they just a weak in joining this revolution?

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
12/10/15 2:30 pm

Czar, it could also be with the rise of social media and the culture of share-every-little-bs-thing-you-do-every-minute that this over-sharing of outrage is a logical step.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
12/10/15 2:32 pm

That's just the Internet. Of course people are more offended now that people can anonymously broadcast offensive things out to the entire population.
People just aren't as well insulated as they used to be. I don't necessarily think that's a good thing. This much exposure to opposition isn't making us more open minded like people thought it would. It's just making us realize how divided we really are, and it's minimizing the things the tie us together.

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
12/10/15 2:37 pm

That's probably a part of it, however I see the brave new world of social media as still relatively new and is still going through its "growing pains." It needs more time for people to figure out what is ok and what isn't (not legally, but generally speaking)and this has spilled over to irl because many people don't seem to really separate the two.

TNBONES East Tennessee
12/10/15 5:57 pm

I think people did get offended, they just had more class and civility in the way they handled it.

GrandmaALiCE
12/11/15 9:14 am

Very well said, Milk!

By the way, did you see my Trump poll? I'm curious about your thoughts.

Czar, I like your new profile pic!

sojourner present
12/11/15 11:40 am

I too think people always got offended. But many didn't have the courage to stand up and say knock it off. Yes, there are those who are overly sensitive, but there are also a growing number of people who seem to want to offend, to desire to say hurtful, biased things. Or who simply don't care about their fellow humans. "So I called you a bitch. Shut up and take it. Don't tell me I'm being offensive, you're just being an easily over offended pussy."

lightsabr2 The Wild Blue Yonder
12/10/15 11:29 am

It comes from weak generations who have never been called to confront true evil.

Carolynn new jersey
12/10/15 11:28 am

I don't think it's so much about being offended. I think most people just feel excluded. I think they are being more vocal to include themselves, not to express offense.

CzarCastic
12/10/15 2:24 pm

Not wanting to be excluded is a basic human emotion. I personally think it's "trendy" to join this movement and being offended by every goddamn thing. We never had this problem in the past

sojourner present
12/11/15 11:42 am

Yeah, but in the not too distant past, if say a black man objected to being called a nigger, he'd be lynched. So he didn't object. Didn't mean he wasn't offended though.

voc I am...what I am
12/10/15 11:26 am

I think it's still a few. They're just more vocal about it

rons on top of the world MA
12/10/15 10:53 am

It was harder in the pre internet days to deliver your hate speech. Plus you might have to look someone in the eye saying it and risk a bloody lip.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH