laika
12/21/15 11:49 pm

Latina has been rich and poor. Rich is better.

SonofThunder peace
12/14/15 5:47 pm

In love and friendship

hb5493 Atlanta Georgia
12/13/15 8:51 pm

Yes I'm very rich I have peace of mind! I pray to never lose it.

Shua01 Ohio
12/12/15 12:29 pm

I feel blessed, but not monetarily rich. I have an awesome family, great friends, and the God who loves me.

NukaCherry The Commonwealth
12/11/15 6:07 pm

Yes and my family has to pay 40% of our income for no reason

theNobamist Silicon Valley
12/11/15 3:44 pm

Got s new job, yay! My taxes are 1/3 of my earnings. I want a personal slave in the govt to do all my govt-related crap.

Cole12 ...
12/11/15 2:27 pm

I come from a wealthy background, but my parents are very frugal, so I never felt rich a child. Now that I'm in college and don't have to deal with student loans like my friends, I definitely feel privileged.

Rosebud Ohio
12/11/15 7:34 am

Financially, no. But I feel wonderfully lucky with my family. I have an incredibly amazing husband and 3 very wonderful children.

kweensixx WA
12/11/15 3:54 am

Rich in the sense of every way but money.

imawench
12/11/15 6:59 am

Well said, me too!

jrp0424
12/10/15 11:36 pm

We are rich because we act like we are still poor. When my husband and I got together we were getting by on 60,000 but spending $ on stupid things. Then we got determined about where our life needs to be. 10 years later and we make close to 250,000. We live a modest home in a good neighborhood but with the plan to resale after the improvements we made(and paid for improvements in cash in steps btw). Bought another home as a rental home. My hubby still buys a majority of clothes from goodwill (trust me no one can tell the difference), the highest end store I shop is old navy. If we want a new table we check out auctions and consignment shops first. We got our couch more than half off because we paid it straight out with cash unused from rent to own. Credit cards are for emergencies. If u can't pay for that new tv you want in cash, keep on saving. But now-I feel just as rich in love now as I did 1O years ago. And that journey together as a team makes us even richer n appreciative now

NewsView
12/13/15 9:43 pm

It's good to be frugal but I would draw the line at thrift stores for clothing. Under/unemployed people looking for jobs are shopping those stores out of absolute necessity and the truly needy shouldn't have to compete with vastly better off shoppers

NewsView
12/13/15 9:51 pm

IMHO, I would leave the professional, interview or career worthy clothing to someone who can obtain it no other way *but* secondhand.

kigman
12/10/15 10:54 pm

Broke af but buying stuff like a boss

arborfamilia on top of the hill
12/10/15 7:37 pm

Maybe it's semantics, but we can pay our bills and don't have to worry about food, but I don't feel RICH. "Rich" people have money in the bank and choose to work.... We certainly don't have that.

Also, these days, SOH might benefit from a fourth family income bucket for above $250k...

DrDollylonglegs in the lab... again
12/10/15 7:22 pm

YES! I recently started my first big-girl job post-grad school. I know that this company I'm working for pays below industry average, but it's still a helluva lot more than I made as a grad student, so I feel positively affluent.

alval California
12/10/15 7:18 pm

Rich yes, wealthy no...not yet. 😁

tdaddy diversity
12/10/15 6:03 pm

Tell me what rich feels like and I'll tell you if that's how I feel. 😂

bnnt Los Angeles
12/10/15 4:57 pm

Maybe if taxes weren't so high out here. You try and do better and the Feds and state take the majority of it. It's like running on a treadmill.

2ndtwin
12/10/15 7:37 pm

I completely understand

NewsView
12/13/15 9:38 pm

Fed/State Taxes + Healthcare through a private exchange = 39% of our income gone. It doesn't help that where spouse & I live people *average 49%* of their monthly incomes on rent/housing. The math doesn't add up. So no, not feeling rich but squeezed!

ovcourse Its Like a Journey
12/10/15 4:23 pm

Not with one kid starting college next year, and another one two years later.

NewsView
12/13/15 10:15 pm

The cost of living in CA is so high that many can't afford the "luxury" of kids/family. Another poll question mentions how birthrates in the US are declining. Housing, college loan costs, taxes & healthcare inflation play a big part in the decline.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/10/15 4:17 pm

I feel well enough off, and broke, at the same time. I certainly do not feel rich.

Tranquility
12/10/15 4:06 pm

I'm rich in love. I'm also very blessed to have an awesome family!

huskermedic Cincinnati
12/10/15 2:46 pm

Rich to me is not having to worry about money or your set for life and don't have to work. I have been responsible with money from the start so I don't worry about it. I just don't spend a lot of it.

NewsView
12/13/15 10:23 pm

I agree with your definition. But what troubles me is that job/wage growth is linked to consumer demand (spending). If more of us consume less it will only mean wage & job growth takes more hits. The frugal don't stimulate the economy nearly enough

malibog 12309
12/10/15 1:19 pm

Not with the folding stuff in my pocket, but life is good.

EarlyBird Portland
12/10/15 12:48 pm

I don't feel rich but I feel comfortable.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/10/15 12:41 pm

Financially no. In quality of life, yes! I find a reason to smile every day. I have plenty to be grateful for.

jayblake22
12/10/15 12:12 pm

Not yet. On the way hopefully.

SaintAnger sumkindamonster
12/10/15 11:31 am

"Hello, Lamborghini? I'd like to buy a car. No, I'm very rich. I can pay you in love."

CoffeeNow CCP virus
12/10/15 12:22 pm

You can pay in love. It's called prostitution. Although you may need to convert it to currency outside the dealership

SaintAnger sumkindamonster
12/10/15 12:50 pm

That's not love, that's just good old fashioned fun!

RINOTom Peoria, IL
12/10/15 11:28 am

I'd say there are tons of people who'd consider my family "rich," but I certainly am not as a recent college graduate, and I think defining "rich" all depends on where you're sitting. Also, there's an incredible distance between someone whose family barely reaches into the top tax bracket and the truly rich like athletes and movie stars.

voc I am...what I am
12/10/15 11:22 am

Depends on how you define it. Monetarily no, but in family, love, and life yes

kristenuk kentucky
12/10/15 11:16 am

I'm in college and just had a lunch able for lunch so no lol

SonofMetal Heavy Metal
12/10/15 10:34 am

Rich in everything but coin :)

Spiritof76 USA 1776
12/10/15 10:34 am

Only 31% of those making over $100k a year feel rich? What the hell are you spending your money on?

RINOTom Peoria, IL
12/10/15 11:26 am

$100,000 is a very good income, and you are very fortunate if you make that. However, if we're going by family income, two parents making that together definitely won't "feel" rich, and even if you make that by yourself, you'll likely never have money troubles ... but you can't exactly spend it on a bunch of luxuries, especially if you have kids. It all depends on how you define "rich." For me, you're rich if you suddenly lost your job and it wasn't kind of alarming (i.e., you could pretty easily get by for a while until you found a new one). $100,000 does not really meet that criteria, IMO, especially if you live somewhere expensive.

Spiritof76 USA 1776
12/10/15 12:34 pm

Right. I guess if you live in a place like Honolulu or Manhattan, $100k is like making minimum wage. lol. But in most places of the US, even if you have kids, $100k seems like it should be plenty to go on for a comfortable lifestyle.

RINOTom Peoria, IL
12/10/15 1:31 pm

Of course, but I admitted as much. People who live a comfortable lifestyle probably don't feel rich themselves. Once you attain a good education, get a good job, climb your way up the ladder, it's only natural to take some rewards from that. "My kid can play club soccer!" "We can go on a beach vacation each year!" "I don't have to keep my old sh*tty Honda!" Haha. At $100,000, if you're going to enjoy it at all or use it to give your kids any additional opportunities, you won't be feeling like you're rich when the bills are due!

Spiritof76 USA 1776
12/10/15 3:46 pm

True. Maybe it's because I'm so damn frugal. I believe in reliability and value. The shitty Honda would still be in my garage after earning $100k.

grondini Mainer in NC
12/10/15 7:04 pm

Spending my money on college loans (started at 80k - almost paid off though), a mortgage, a car loan, and putting money away for my future. I live by myself so all expenses are mine. Also, just because my income is >100k, that doesn't mean that is what I take home - I pay about 30k in taxes every year.

melders Entertainment Sometimes
12/11/15 10:37 am

Most people who make $100k probably live in expensive cities.

Also, I work with a lot of people who make ~$100k, and several don't feel rich partly because they work with a bunch of others just as rich.

NewsView
12/13/15 10:28 pm

In certain parts of the country that's not as much as it seems. The average 1200sq ft 1950s tract home where I live requires a $100k income to afford with apartments of just one bedroom demanding almost $70k per year income

RINOTom Peoria, IL
12/14/15 3:06 pm

That's another thing. When it says voters who make over $100,000 in NY or CA voted for Obama, those are NOT the same types of folks who make over $100,000 and live in Nebraska (who voted decidedly for Obama). The second group has a much higher dispensable income because of a lower cost of living.

aTsumiki Strike Witch
12/10/15 10:30 am

College student. Nuff said.

Ethongoo
12/10/15 12:36 pm

That unfortunate part about this that is true

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
12/10/15 9:59 am

I'm not gonna feel rich until I own every gun on my wish list, a 1970 Oldsmobile 442 W-30, a skydiving rig, and an airplane.

I've got a ways to go.

scrpnHOG Arizona
12/10/15 10:26 am

Did we just become best friends?

shygal47 florida east coast
12/10/15 11:45 am

I had a '70 442 ... loved that car! White with blue interior.

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
12/10/15 3:37 pm

"Had"?!?!?!

What's the matter with you?! You got rid of it?!

shygal47 florida east coast
12/10/15 6:24 pm

I blew the engine in it at the ESTA drag strip. I bought a used '70 GTO, white with black interior ... that one I put over 100K miles on it - THAT one I wish I still had!

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
12/10/15 7:03 pm

Alright. If a 442 has to go, I suppose there's no better place than a drag strip. Still sad though :'(

Krystina Live and Let Live
12/10/15 9:56 am

I am rich in happiness and in a loving relationship. In money, we've been struggling since becoming business owners. But, money is far from being everything.

JTadpole Louisiana
12/10/15 9:44 am

I'm confused how people who make over 100k don't fell rich.

CudOfCow Oregon
12/10/15 10:00 am

debt and unfulfilled goals.

aTsumiki Strike Witch
12/10/15 10:31 am

Mostly the latter I'd think :3

think4yourself Not a safe space
12/10/15 10:46 am

The clintons make way more than that and they are poor.

MrChris80 California
12/10/15 3:49 pm

Many of those folks are in debt. They pay a lot in taxes. And many of them are paying for or saving for their kids to go to good colleges. Also, living expenses are quite high for many of them depending on where they live. Thats how to have nice income but not feel rich.

sea California
12/11/15 8:46 am

If you have to go to work to pay for bills or save for retirement, I don't think that you're rich. Also 100k won't even safely allow you to buy a house in many places in California.

NewsView
12/13/15 10:50 pm

Some combination of the following:

Student loans debt;
High cost city;
Housing expenses that exceed 40% of one's monthly take home;
Taxes;
Health care costs (insurance cost or being unhealthy);
The cost of raising kids.

PamGH Washington
12/10/15 9:40 am

We are a bit above average in money. But I am rich. I feel grateful for my mind, I'm glad I can think through things, I'm glad I like math. I'm grateful for a supportive and loving family who also can think (but holy cow do my adult children think differently than me). I value the ability to reason and think much higher than money.

asia
12/10/15 9:22 am

Not money wise, but my life is enriched and I thank God for that.

greeengoddess Minnesota
12/10/15 8:54 am

I feel extremely privileged and grateful. I have a great life, and especially when I think about how only 28% of American adults have a college degree, I really do feel like I'm part of an elite group. Not that I'm better than anyone; I'm just extremely lucky.

bringstheeagle Colorado
12/10/15 8:39 am

Yes but I know it's an illusion. Still I appreciate my health, my family, my church activities. Things have been much worse.

AppleCougar08
12/10/15 8:38 am

Sometimes.

Rotavele Alabama
12/10/15 8:33 am

No. I have a ton of college debt.