steelcity December 10th, 2015 12:04pm

Would you rather go to a prestigious top tier school and get a 2.5 GPA or a lower tier school and get a 3.5 GPA. (All other factors being the same. Result of the difference is the pace of education and expectations placed upon students)

Drpaulitics San Diego, CA
12/11/15 5:57 am

Which has more chance of being noticed by an employer? Your GPA or the school you went to? I agree that most employers don't care about either, but if an employer cares about anything it's probably the school you came from.

DankZane Visus Per Mentem
12/10/15 6:42 pm

If you have a 2.5 it doesn't matter where you went. You're going to have a very hard time getting into any graduate school. I'm sure it's different if you want to start a career right out of college, but if you're like me and want to further your education, a gpa that low is going to cause problems regardless of which school you went to.

badattitude no place like home
12/10/15 8:07 am

Very few need to go to a top tier school. Unless you're planning on being a high powered lawyer that needs those credentials to compete for a job, there's no point. Nobody cares where you went to school. Get an education you can afford. Without loans. Seriously. No loans.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
12/10/15 7:35 am

I have a 4.0 from a large, mediocre State school. I would trade it for a 2.5 from Stanford in a nanosecond. My gpa is on my resume, diploma and linked in profile, not once has anyone cared. A prestigious school opens doors....and you gain contacts. Good question.

steelcity Pittsburgh
12/10/15 7:39 am

I think it depends heavily on the industry you are looking to go into.

Harvard makes perfect sense for a lawyer or doctor, but zero sense for theology.

badattitude no place like home
12/10/15 8:09 am

Steel is right. %99.9 of the time, nobody cares where you went to school. It's just a waste of money.

Drpaulitics San Diego, CA
12/10/15 7:08 am

2.5 - Employers see the school you graduated from, not your grades.

steelcity Pittsburgh
12/10/15 7:18 am

I could not disagree more.

badattitude no place like home
12/10/15 8:10 am

No they don't. Unless you're trying to be a high powered lawyer for a big prestigious firm. Nobody cares.

badattitude no place like home
12/10/15 8:12 am

Even doctors. Unless you're trying to get into some prestigious hospital, nobody looks at the name of the school on the wall of the doctors office.

steelcity Pittsburgh
12/10/15 1:05 pm

Breck articulated my thoughts pretty clearly.