Ebola1 December 10th, 2015 10:46am

What do you think about the proselytizing by the American Atheists at atheist.org. They are renting billboards over the country featuring Santa and saying "go ahead and skip church".

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
12/20/15 7:23 pm

I dont understand why athiests just keep to themselves. I will go to church all I want, and if you have a problem with it, fuck off.

jayblake22
12/13/15 8:48 pm

Atheists are the angriest bunch of knuckle heads I've ever seen.

drself Gated Community
12/13/15 12:15 pm

Hypocritical.
But who says Satan has morals.

Vayl Reason over common sense
12/11/15 10:37 pm

Frankly, I really don't give a fuck whether they put billboards like that up or not.

wasp a bowl of soup
12/11/15 6:56 pm

I'm catholic, but it does not really matter if I go are not. The only thing I hate about the atheists is that they tried to change the "pledge of allegiance".

wasp a bowl of soup
12/11/15 6:58 pm

To avoid hate comments, I said it's the ONLY thing I hate about the atheists.

GrandmaALiCE Still gardening
12/11/15 10:01 pm

I am not an atheist, but I want to clear up a common
misunderstanding. The "under God" phrase was not in the original pledge.

"In 1954, in response to the Communist threat of the times, President Eisenhower encouraged Congress to add the words "under God," creating the 31-word pledge we say today."

www.ushistory.org/documents/pledge.htm

wasp a bowl of soup
12/15/15 3:33 pm

Oh, our teacher sucks with facts lol.

commonsense Never over
12/10/15 2:19 pm

It's a beautiful idea.
Be good for the sake of being good. You don't need to go to church to be a good person or to even a Christian.

EarlyBird Portland
12/10/15 12:34 pm

As an atheist, it's embarrassing.

trollthepoll Pro Choice
12/10/15 7:27 pm

I disagree, and think it's awesome

trollthepoll Pro Choice
12/10/15 7:27 pm

The day is about being with family not giving a tithing at a church

12/11/15 12:37 am

I am an agnostic - it does not bother me, just as the Christian themed ones do not bother me. It is nice to see some balance.

ladyniner81 I hate people
12/10/15 11:49 am

I think it's hypocritical. Atheists piss and moan about how Christians/other denominations advertise about their "false" religion" shoving their beliefs in their faces. Well, what do you think THEY'RE doing? same goddamn thing. Instead of preaching I'm going to hell if I don't believe in the same dumb crap they do, all the crap they do doesn't exist and I'm an idiot if I do. Ugggghhhhhhh

12/11/15 12:34 am

It s more along the lines of "Fine, let's turn the tables and see how you like it".

jmw7477 Indiana
12/10/15 10:09 am

I've seen billboards trying to guilt people into going to church and putting down non-Christian ways of thinking/believing.

I don't know why people can't just believe how they want without trying to force their beliefs on other people. I always say that religion is like shoes. Everyone likes a different style and wears a different size. Some even feel more comfortable barefoot.

jlong105 Indiana
12/10/15 5:29 pm

If you feel like a billboard is forcing a belief on you, I think you are overreacting a little bit.

Or you are not secure in your own beliefs and they intimidate you.

jmw7477 Indiana
12/10/15 6:37 pm

I'm not talking about just billboards. I get post cards and people knocking on my door trying to convert me. I'm secure in my beliefs. I'm secure that what I believe is right for me. I don't hand out pamphlets telling people what I believe, why they should believe it, and how something bad is going to happen to them if they don't believe what I believe.

jlong105 Indiana
12/10/15 8:29 pm

I find them much less annoying than credit card companies and mortgage companies.

At least they are trying to make the world a better place, even if you don't see that as better it is to them.

jmw7477 Indiana
12/10/15 9:31 pm

I can opt out of junk mail. But it doesn't stop the church post cards from coming. As far as making the worlds better place, that's just a very egotistical, self-centered way of thinking. It'd be like me saying I like Coke. You should like Coke. You're wrong for liking Pepsi. Now your tastebuds are going to burn for all eternity.

PoOtiUs SoCal
12/10/15 9:48 am

It could be worse. They could be knocking on my door every week telling me to ask for forgiveness.

smithy0013
12/10/15 9:32 am

Lol enough with the political correctness...

trollthepoll Pro Choice
12/10/15 8:51 am

Hell yes!!! About time fuck the Christian reich in this country

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
12/10/15 9:00 am

Christian reich? Go cry me a river.

badattitude no place like home
12/10/15 9:04 am

What about when there's more Muslims than Christians or athiests? When they play Islamic chants from towers all around the city, when they stop traffic to pray. Will the athiests put up disparaging billboards then? It's going to happen here. They have an average of 12 children to our 1.2. You know that they hate athiests worse than Jews don't you. It's just a matter of time and you'll be wishing you could see a nativity scene somewhere.

trollthepoll Pro Choice
12/10/15 7:16 pm

No we will call for the great khans to once again stop the spread of Islam (it wasn't the great crusades that stopped the Middle East, is was the khans) and yes they are becoming a reich.

trollthepoll Pro Choice
12/10/15 7:18 pm

And it's funny you're scared of a religion... Mormons have shit tons of kids and they haven't taken over the world, India has a huge population they haven't taken over the world.... And if they are having 12-1 ratio then you won't be here

trollthepoll Pro Choice
12/10/15 7:19 pm

When they outbreed the Christians.. Thanks for using religion as a reason to kill and hate... Oh wait that's why it was created....

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
12/11/15 7:13 am

Trollthepoll: No, it's funny that you're scared of religion. Put on your tin foil hate and save us from your ridiculous whining.

badattitude no place like home
12/11/15 11:14 am

You're right. It's hate.

badattitude no place like home
12/10/15 8:14 am

Would they ever disrespect Islam? No way. They hate athiests and pagans worse than Jews. They're scared of making them mad.

badattitude no place like home
12/10/15 8:58 am

Well, I've never seen them make any disparaging remarks about Islam, have you? Is it because they don't want the backlash? They know Christians won't cut their heads off. So it's a no brainier who you're going to make fun of.

smithy0013
12/10/15 9:31 am

Most Christians don't seem to hang around Muslims that much. I think that's why you don't see us rip on them. But don't worry, Muslims don't get a free pass in this

lcamino Florida
12/10/15 3:30 pm

Breck, you are right. There will not be any billboards disparaging Islam. Christians are soft targets for ridicule - the only group that it is ok to bash.

jlong105 Indiana
12/10/15 5:32 pm

You mean no go ahead and skip prayers, mosque, and have some alcohol today.

12/11/15 12:31 am

So, are you suggesting that Christians start beheading people for speaking out against their God?

badattitude no place like home
12/11/15 1:32 am

Ah no. And you know I didn't suggest anything like that. If you're talking to me.

12/11/15 6:03 am

You did suggest that the only reason there are not billboards aimed directly at Islam is fear...

badattitude no place like home
12/11/15 6:15 am

Well. Can you think of another reason that the athiests would only pick on Christians? I don't suggest that they do. They really hate athiests, more than Jews.

12/11/15 7:18 am

How about this: the Muslims in this country don't have quite so many billboards proclaiming the superiority of their faith or calling atheists haters of America, immoral, and doomed to damnation.

12/11/15 8:19 am

Where is that billboard?

badattitude no place like home
12/11/15 11:13 am

You're right. They don't. They just cut you're head off or crush you if they find out you're athiests or pagan or gay. Not so much in this country because we don't have Shari law and will be prosecuted. But, What happens when the courts approve Shari law because it would be discriminatory to deny them? It's coming.

12/11/15 7:47 pm

Way to hit the cliff running and go flying off the edge...
Sharia law becoming codified into our laws?
At a time when Christians (who as you know are a large majority) can not get prayer back on the books? At a time when children and parents are winning lawsuits against school uniforms and for a kid's right to wear a Coke t-shirt at a Pepsi event? You really need to take a breath and lift your eyes away from the apocalyptic news you have been focussed on.

12/11/15 7:50 pm

ebola1 - right now they are buried under the right wing hysteria over a few atheist billboards. When I have time I will find some links.

lcamino Florida
12/11/15 8:06 pm

Face palm, if you think that people do not fear offending Islamic people, you must be in a state of denial.

12/11/15 9:51 pm

I never said, nor do I believe, that people are not afraid of Islamists.

146787456777 .......
12/10/15 8:03 am

I dont see it as any more offensive than the billboards churches and other religious groups put up showing one bible verse or another, encouraging people to attend church or convert. I also dont think its targeted specifically at children either. Just because an ad uses santa clause doesnt mean its targeted at children.

12/10/15 8:55 am

I would disagree but thanks for commenting.

Maj Worth Economist
12/10/15 1:20 pm

Aura, you said what I was going to. 👍

12/13/15 2:55 am

@ Maj, so you still believe in Santa Claus also?

146787456777 .......
12/13/15 10:23 am

That question (although directed at maj, I assume your use of 'too' is intended to include myself) makes no sense whatsoever. You dont have to believe in a well known figure to take in advertizing featuring said figure. Many companies use santa claus to advertize products at christmas. Are you making the argument that every single one of them is targeted soley at children?

146787456777 .......
12/13/15 10:25 am

Excuse me, the word 'also' not too 😅

Maj Worth Economist
12/13/15 12:10 pm

Aura, you hit the nail again. ♥️👍😉😊

12/13/15 12:28 pm

If Santa Claus is saying it's ok not to go to church then yes that is targeted at children. No doubt about it.

146787456777 .......
12/13/15 4:19 pm

We'll just have to agree to disagree about that. Ive seen plenty of ads including santa that were not targeted at children. In any case, even if it were, its still not any worse (or better) than ads targeted at children promoting religion either. I think we can all at least agree advertizing to children in general isnt a good thing.

I personally dont care for billboards of either sort. Imo we should all respect eachother and refrain from pressuring others to accept our owm personal belief system.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
12/10/15 7:37 am

If their goal is to galvanize people against them, they're doing it exactly right.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
12/10/15 7:17 am

I thought atheists were supposed to be smart. The idiots are wasting a lot of their money to either spite some people or get a laugh. Sounds pretty stupid to me.

trollthepoll Pro Choice
12/10/15 8:53 am

Advertising works... That's why kids can't see camel joe anymore. We are smart we are making them question everything at a time you're indoctrinating them....

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
12/10/15 8:59 am

Sure. Let me know your success rate. How about you focus on your own kids and don't try to raise other people's children?

trollthepoll Pro Choice
12/10/15 2:11 pm

Ehhh I just figured the religious reich forces it down my child's throat why can't it be forced down yours?

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
12/10/15 2:41 pm

Oh, so you're going with petty revenge and the childish "they did it so it's okay for me to do it too" mentality? I'm not even surprised.

trollthepoll Pro Choice
12/10/15 7:13 pm

Why can Mormons have billboards but atheist can't?

12/11/15 12:29 am

@Sticksandstones - why is it ok for the church to proselytize to an atheist's child, but not ok for an atheist to encourage disbelief in the presence of a Christian's child?

12/11/15 4:09 am

@FP, feel free to give us a specific example of religious billboards proselytizing to atheist children.

12/11/15 6:32 am

Every single billboard that promotes God and can be seen by children. There are far more of them than of the ones places by atheists.

One would be led to believe that the atheist billboards were as numerous as stars in the sky, based on all the hubbub about them...

Ya'll need to chill out. If two billboards are such a threat to any parents' ability to raise their child into the faith of their choosing, they should rethink how they are teaching their faith.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
12/11/15 7:15 am

Facepalm: Well, I personally don't think there should be any billboards, but freedom of speech exists. However, Christians are called by their religion to spread what they believe is the truth. I wasn't aware atheists were the same way.

12/11/15 7:28 am

So, sharing your beliefs with others is only legitimate if you are "called to" by the doctrines of your faith?

Why should the religious get a free pass?

12/11/15 7:29 am

BTW I agree about billboards in general. Obnoxious blights upon the land.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
12/11/15 7:39 am

Nope. Why do atheists want to share their "faith"?

12/13/15 4:26 pm

Look. If you want ti have a reasonable conversation, do not deliberately use words out if context. It is unnecessarily argumentative and, in my case, leads me to dismiss you as someone who is just looking for a fight.
Atheism is not a "faith". It Is a belief, more specifically a non-belief in a deity. There is no faith involved in a religious sense.
Christians believe that non-belief or lack of faith is inherently bad and some routinely attack and dismiss atheists as being immoral and themselves a superior. They do so with articles, books, videos, and billboards. Some atheists find it necessary to defend themselves against these accusations by creating their own articles, books, videos, and billboards. They are still grossly outnumbered by the Believers. As for sharing what they believe with others, atheists see belief in God as comparable to belief in any mythological character and irrational. So they share their point of view.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
12/13/15 8:25 pm

So they're sinking down to their level.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
12/10/15 6:53 am

They seem butt hurt.

rons screw politicians
12/10/15 6:32 am

They most likely had a bad childhood.

Axl752 NY
12/10/15 6:28 am

I see billboards all the time spewing unintentionally hilarious christian messages, so why is this not ok?

12/10/15 6:50 am

So you think this billboard is "unintentionally hilarious"?

Axl752 NY
12/10/15 6:56 am

How would I know? I haven't seen it.

Axl752 NY
12/10/15 7:02 am

No, that's not unintentionally hilarious. Nor is it offensive.

12/10/15 7:13 am

Not offensive to you but can you see how a giant billboard with Santa telling your children to go ahead and skip church might be offensive to religious persons?

Axl752 NY
12/10/15 7:17 am

No. It would only bother someone who is insecure in their beliefs. It doesn't bother me when I see billboards damning non-belivers, just gives me a laugh. Anyone who is bothered by this should maybe do some introspection.

12/10/15 7:24 am

But those billboards aren't specifically targeting your children. This is more akin to using Joe Camel to advertise cigarettes knowing that he is attractive to minors. Adults can make their own decisions but parents have the right to raise their children in their faith w/o Santa Claus telling them that it's ok not to go to church.

Vayl Reason over common sense
12/11/15 10:42 pm

Parents have the right to raise their children that way, yes, but it is truly depressing when this happens. Indoctrination is a terrible thing.

Vayl Reason over common sense
12/11/15 11:00 pm

Unfortunately, though, that's just the nature of Christianity. The Abrahamic doctrine of hell encourages people to "save" their loved ones by whatever means necessary. Indoctrination into Christianity, although bad, is infinitely better than eternal torment. Hell doctrine causes people to do potentially harmful things for the greater purpose of saving people from a terrible fate. Hell doctrine breeds intolerance of other beliefs -- after all, if hell doctrine is true, then other beliefs are extremely dangerous, as they lead people down a path to eternal torment. This is why I will always be opposed to any religion that uses a hell/heaven afterlife system. Such religions are harmful to society and to humanity. I'm sorry if I sound like an edgy antitheist (i'm not an antitheist), but this needed to be said. And please, don't take it personally. It is your beliefs I dislike. Not you.

12/12/15 12:21 am

I would submit that atheist indoctrination is just as bad.

SugarShaq
12/10/15 6:25 am

They have a belief system regarding god/gods, which qualifies as a religion.

(And Satan has been imitating Christ for over 2000 years. Nothing new there)

SugarShaq
12/10/15 7:55 am

Jesus was born 2000ish years ago.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
12/10/15 8:11 am

In a general sense, I agree. But when I think of Satan imitating Christ I immediately think of the antichrist, who hasn't made an appearance yet, afaik.

SugarShaq
12/10/15 9:15 am

Yet, but we seem close. I can agree in a purely physical sense.

Doesn't the bible say he masquerades as an angel of light?

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
12/10/15 9:41 am

Yes, Paul said that, in reference to false apostles and other people preaching a false gospel who he was basically competing against. What I think is interesting is that you probably believe Paul was talking about the Catholic Church, while I'd say he was talking about people who led people to break from the Catholic Church. But we'd probably both agree that he was talking about groups like Mormons and Islam.

Either way, while satan has certainly been active over the last 2k years, I don't think he's shown up as an actual, tangible individual yet.

PamGH Washington
12/10/15 4:38 am

Stupid wast of money. But freedom of speech trumps the issue.

12/10/15 7:28 am

I agree but it's kind of a low blow to target children with Santa to undermine their parents teachings.

biker4life Arizona
12/10/15 4:22 am

They have every right to put those up. It's no more disrespectful than christian billboards threatening eternal damnation if you don't follow their made up god and religion.

bartman71 USW
12/10/15 4:23 am

👏👊👌👍

12/10/15 4:41 am

Well, it does showcase the fact that atheists do proselytize. Something most of them deny. They're starting to look more like a religion every day.

biker4life Arizona
12/10/15 5:07 am

It's not a religion. Why is that so hard to understand?

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
12/10/15 5:44 am

This user is currently being ignored

12/10/15 6:01 am

Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it might just be a duck.

biker4life Arizona
12/10/15 6:03 am

Or it's a lame ass analogy and still wrong.

12/10/15 6:06 am

No good answer, huh?

12/10/15 4:05 am

"Be good for goodness' sake" is not a negative message.

12/10/15 4:18 am

"Go ahead and skip Church" is offensive to peoples of faith. The billboard specifically targets people of all religions. It really is clear and I can't see how it can be interpreted in any other way.

12/10/15 5:23 am

I disagree. Skipping church is neither skipping faith nor dismissing God. People can keep the Sabbath any number of ways and on any day they choose. In my opinion, if someone is offended by the sign, it is because they choose to be.

12/10/15 6:00 am

Of course they choose to be offended and for good reason. Skipping church... Skipping faith... Same thing in the billboard message. Your engaging in a convoluted rationalization.

12/11/15 12:13 am

I find your insistence that faith can only exist in the presence of a church service disturbing.

I am also puzzled by the apparent double standard regarding "disrespectful" images or slogans. You seem to believe that pretty much anything is OK when couched in the context of religion, but that same behavior under any other conditions is worthy of approbation. I think that is stinky.

12/11/15 3:55 am

But the billboard in question is specifically targeting children by using Santa to tell them it's ok not to go to church despite the fact that their parents may be raising them not as an atheist but in a faith and want them to go to church. The message is attempting to usurp the parents role in the rearing of their children. I'm discussing the billboard in question. I'm unaware of any Christian billboard targeting the children of atheists, are you?

12/11/15 6:06 am

I disagree that they are targeting children specifically. Santa is a cultural icon for the secular celebration of Christmas. He is not solely recognizable or appealing to kids.

12/11/15 6:23 am

I say this because:
a) I know several adults who collect images if Santa,
b) I like the idea of Santa, but I am not a collector

I am also considering the power of parents and the power of the church.

12/11/15 8:22 am

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree on that. I'm ok with that if you are.

12/10/15 3:49 am

I think it's highly disrespectful to people of faith.

12/10/15 4:42 am

See above.

musiman28 Cotton country
12/10/15 5:03 am

I agree that it's disrespectful, but we do have freedom of speech in this country.

12/10/15 5:26 am

Do you think the billboards that threaten viewers with hellfire and damnation are disrespectful of people who either do not share that flavor of religiosity or who are non-believer?

I am just curious.

12/10/15 6:06 am

There's a difference. The religious usually are tasked to spread the word as a part of their religion. They are trying to lead people to religion. The atheists are just saying don't believe what you believe.

JJJSchmidt San Marcos
12/10/15 6:13 am

So religious people threatening everyone who's not in their specific religion because their magic book told them so is ok, but atheists saying "hey, maybe you don't have to do that" because their own personal ethics tell them so is way out of line?

12/10/15 6:53 am

That is the question, isn't it?

12/10/15 7:16 am

@JJ, but should you be forcing your own personal ethics on children through Santa?

JJJSchmidt San Marcos
12/10/15 12:48 pm

Ok, I can understand your objection to using Santa Claus. But the message itself is really not particularly extreme.