Show Of Hands December 27th, 2012 12:00am

Should Westboro Baptist church have its tax exempt status revoked?

rolleypolley
01/01/13 10:53 pm

Good point. I still think they're lost in political whacko land though. They give Christianity a bad name even though what they practice is not Christianity

britnirose New York
01/01/13 9:16 pm

When have we ever looked back in history and say "thank god we were ruled by churches, they totally lead us right!" hint: never.

britnirose New York
01/01/13 9:15 pm

Separation of church and state. Also, this Church is no longer a place of worship, it's a potentially violent protest organization.

01/01/13 6:11 pm

Absolutely, I agree. I haven't seen any more information about a funeral or service for him - I just looked but can't find a thing.

01/01/13 6:05 pm

I don't imagine what they do constitutes treason. SCOTUS has upheld a ruling that what they do falls under the mantle of free speech.

madeit Houston Area
12/31/12 11:57 pm

Do you regularly worship at the altar of hateful, mean spirited and ugly?

Paris
12/31/12 11:46 pm

If Churches become a large part of the government's income than religion is fair game in politics and I know that many of you are against that. Also, we would end up being ruled by corrupt priests instead of corrupt businesses.

synthetik Bay Area, CA
12/31/12 9:11 pm

It's not the governments place to decide the validity of a church or religion. They may be a bunch of hateful assholes, but if they revoke westboro's tax free status, they have to revoke the status of every church.

RunningBare Pennsylvania
12/31/12 3:40 pm

Tax churches and corps and leave everyone else alone.

thinker2 nc
12/31/12 3:18 pm

They are treasonous by cheering for dead American soldiers. They should be tried as such in court.

gs3rd
12/31/12 11:55 am

I cannot event believe they can even call themselves a "Church"

tdaddy diversity
12/31/12 10:21 am

Why just one church, revoke it on all of them. That would more than take care of any fiscal cliff concerns.

bookworm995 New York
12/31/12 2:34 am

Vigalante justice is illegal, and while I agree, the WBC would get off Scott free

12/31/12 2:11 am

As should all churches.

12/31/12 2:11 am

As should all churches.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
12/30/12 12:19 pm

Good. ALL veterans deserve an honorable burial without having their memory desecrated by these @ssholes.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
12/30/12 12:17 pm

What about "Separation of Church and State"?! The door swings both ways!

july475
12/30/12 8:05 am

What charity are they performing

metalhead347 PA
12/30/12 2:50 am

No church should be tax exempt, If you take it from one you should take it from all.

12/30/12 2:10 am

I can't imagine that they wouldn't do that, HYNBDGR, them and probably other human shield volunteers.

12/30/12 2:05 am

Not in the poll question, kpasrlja. But I thought that's what HYNBDGR was intending. Making them stop picketing.

12/30/12 2:01 am

...late 1990s when they had a rather ,primitive web site with a drawing of a young man's head bouncing up & down in side a drawing of red flames. It was captioned "Matthew Shepard burning in hell. Soon after he was murdered. It's not much better now. I despise them, but political? I don't see it.

12/30/12 1:57 am

...of the world, which I don't think really counts.) They're happy to hate ANYONE and any political stance they might take would be only to further their ability to hate. And I personally don't know of any instance of that; I'm just allowing for the possibility. I've despised them since the...

12/30/12 1:51 am

I understand that, bryan. I just don't see how it's political. They're not pro-Rep or pro-Dem or Tea Party, or ANYTHING as far as I know. (Although I read here that they backed Obama because they think he's the anti-Christ and if he stays in office it will help bring about the end...

12/30/12 1:48 am

..find a different way to make that point.

12/30/12 1:47 am

I'm sorry, Senseless, truly. I bristle when gun issues & politics get into other polls, myself. (My "favorite" was the one about requiring CPR training in high school.) I only brought it up because I bristle even more when people are willing to throw out part of the Bill of Rights. I'll try to...

12/30/12 1:43 am

...they can be proven not to be a church, or to otherwise lose their tax exempt status. Does that make me a fool?

12/30/12 1:42 am

What someone might want and what falls under the protection of the law are not necessarily the same. The Supreme Court of the United States upheld a ruling that they have the right to picket at funerals. Do I like it? Hell no. Do I have to accept the fact that it's legal? Yes, until...

12/30/12 1:40 am

That's exactly what they want. When they're attacked, they sue. They thrive on it.

PetePuma Oregon
12/30/12 12:56 am

They need to have their tax exempt status revoked. More importantly, they need to be arrested, true, and convicted for raping their own children. They are beyond disgusting.

gramps
12/29/12 7:18 pm

Aren't most of their members an inbred family?

flyberg Northern Kentucky
12/29/12 5:22 pm

The issue is that their behavior and purpose arguably don't tie into that services bit, so why should they get the privilege of tax exempt status?

flyberg Northern Kentucky
12/29/12 5:20 pm

Revoking their tax exempt status has nothin to do with freedom of speech. They would still be free to say whatever they want. Tax exempt status is a privilege given to entities like churches and charities for the services they provide their communities.

flyberg Northern Kentucky
12/29/12 5:11 pm

What about their free speech makes it more tax exempt than mine? Revoking tax exempt status - a privilege, mind you - has nothing to do with their freedom of speech. They get that tax exempt status based on what they, as a religious entity, supposedly do to enrich their community.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
12/29/12 3:27 pm

They are not a Christian Church; they are a HATE GROUP. Think about this: even the KKK themselves hate the WBC, and the ADL says they're worse than the KKK. Maybe it's just me, but if you're considered worse than the KKK, you might be a hate group.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
12/29/12 3:21 pm

Having faith is not a hateful action.

23 Texas
12/29/12 2:21 pm

And I hope to God Almighty that the 20% that said "no" simply saw the cursed mention of WBC, freaked out in disgust, and repeatedly, furiously, and unknowingly pushed the wrong button.

23 Texas
12/29/12 2:15 pm

That's not the Baptist denomination of Christianity; WBC is a fucking cult that brings shame to Christianity in its entirety.

pvtliberal Ohio
12/29/12 9:44 am

They endorsed Obama. That by law is supposed to remove the tax empt status.

If your wondering, they endorsed Obama because they believe he is the anti Christ and keeping him in power will apparently bring the end of the world.

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
12/29/12 6:09 am

It is not a church, it is a hate group.

wright3f San Diego
12/29/12 4:45 am

Oh. Mississippi is a possible prank ? Makes sense...

wright3f San Diego
12/29/12 4:39 am

Gross... Let's bring in gun politics on this. Because it so MUST be brought to this issue at hand. I find that comment sickening.

wright3f San Diego
12/29/12 4:34 am

PS. Mississippi, find yourself an army because obviously you can't stand behind our troops and all others of difference in the US. My husband does HIS service for all & deserves GREAT respect from ALL.

wright3f San Diego
12/29/12 4:29 am

I think all Gold Star families, that these idiots protest at, should live a tax free life and kick Phelp's ass just once.

RIP Fallen Troops. Always in our hearts!