Show Of Hands December 1st, 2012 12:00am

Should a homeowner be able to legally shoot an unarmed intruder, even if there is no explicit threat of violence?

nRattlehead
12/09/12 8:49 am

There would have to be a threat of violence for that to happen. Calm yourself.

cableguy9161
12/08/12 1:29 pm

Bryank21 you are an absolute idiot, no argument you make is valid. Are you so naive to think that any unwelcome intruder wouldn't take your life and without hesitation your belongings?

cableguy9161
12/08/12 1:25 pm

Yay then they could sue your ass, shoot to kill

4yourhealth Washington
12/06/12 10:22 pm

I fucking dare you to break into my home. You won't be around to tell your side of why you were an idiot.

RoadToRuin
12/06/12 1:16 pm

They can trap intruders in their basement and go jigsaw on them for all I care

mjohn620
12/05/12 8:07 pm

I'm 27 and in great shape and I'll be realistic enough and honest enough to say that I'd have quite a time busting through a window to make a big enough hole to crawl through on my own. Now, if I had a weapon to bash it with, that's a different story. But then the intruder would have a weapon...

mjohn620
12/05/12 8:03 pm

I think breaking a house window enough to crawl inside of it is harder than you think... Not so much like in the movies.

susanr Colorado
12/05/12 4:55 pm

mjohn, I'm an elderly person by most standards, and I DO have the strength to break a window, at least. I do get your point, but elderly does not = frail. Agree completely about locking windows & doors, though.

susanr Colorado
12/05/12 4:51 pm

Thank you. I thought maybe I was the only one who noticed this. (Although I agree with the other commenter that you're not a murderer if the person doesn't die.) I was even more appalled by the person who said if they saw someone running down the street with their tv, they'd shoot them in the back.

2Bfree New York
12/05/12 4:43 pm

Not if they don't die.

mjohn620
12/05/12 3:22 pm

Breaking into someone's house, aka being an INTRUDER, is in itself a threat of violence. Did you eat paint chips as a kid or something?!?

mjohn620
12/05/12 3:21 pm

Thanks. I'd like to thank all the little people for making this possible...

bruhman
12/05/12 11:36 am

Bryan you're a moron. People need to take responsibility for their actions. Guns are inanimate. They do not think, move, or act on their own. Therefore they do not kill people.

bryank21
12/05/12 8:11 am

That's idiotic. Guns are weapons that make it a hell of a lot easier to kill people. So guns kill people.

bryank21
12/05/12 8:09 am

That's not the damn question! It's not saying if YOU think there's always a threat if violence, it's saying if there's NO threat.

bryank21
12/05/12 8:07 am

The question was "If there is NO explicit threat of violence" not "if there IS a threat if violence" so basically you're all saying it's ok to shoot someone if there's no threat of violence. You're all murderers, congrats.

bruhman
12/04/12 5:53 pm

Or blaming Hustler for Carpal tunnel

brandn1687
12/04/12 3:39 pm

There is always a threat of violence with intruders, especially if they haven't announced themselves.

Feelyfeel
12/04/12 12:51 pm

Yup, shot to warn or disable vehicle (for those of us who own land)

natedog1
12/04/12 10:05 am

A criminal's worst fear; the victim is armed...

natedog1
12/04/12 10:03 am

Yes!!! But I would just shoot him in the leg or something so it wouldn't kill him/her but he still couldn't get away.

NiiroK El Taco
12/04/12 9:59 am

If I ever find someone in my house who has not been invited there at any time for any reason, I'll get at least one shot off no questions asked. Trying to mess with me and my life? What a stupid thing for someone to do...

Mud Constitutionalist
12/03/12 11:35 pm

Someone breaking on is bad. Shoot if you perceive your life is in danger.

tg1162
12/03/12 7:57 pm

When seconds count, the police are minutes away...

tg1162
12/03/12 7:55 pm

No gun has ever killed anyone, the person holding the gun is the one who did the killing... Oh... Btw, it like blaming spoons for making people fat.

mjohn620
12/03/12 7:13 pm

Dumb people are bad. They are an excuse and hurt innocent people...

tommyjohn77 New Jersey
12/03/12 6:51 pm

Gun are bad! The are an excuse and hurt innocent people

mjohn620
12/03/12 6:10 pm

You must be an AWFUL shot! If a can hit a deer in the lungs at 100 yards with a handgun then I can certainly hit a kneecap at ten feet with a handgun... Not saying I wouldn't aim for center mass, but maybe I've just had more shooting experience than most, because I'm very confident in my aim.

mjohn620
12/03/12 5:42 pm

There's my point about keeping your doors and windows locked. Most elderly people don't have the strength to bust through a window or break down a door. So if someone breaks into your house, they are a threat.

susanr Colorado
12/03/12 5:33 pm

mjohn, I wrote replies to you that accidentally got posted to the comment just above mine. In brief, intruding may be criminal, but in the ordinary course of events - if judges in court - i itself, it is not punishable by death. And it MAY be an accident.

susanr Colorado
12/03/12 5:26 pm

There's certainly that possibility, mjohn. In the Boulder case I mentioned, though, it happened to be a woman. Occasionally it's been an elderly person with Alzheimer's.

Lordofguitar
12/03/12 4:22 pm

Armed or looking at/touching my family or friends:headshot. Stealing an object: shoot em in the kneecap, tie em up, and take em to the big house.

Christian1
12/03/12 3:39 pm

Should not have been drunk.

Christian1
12/03/12 3:36 pm

You can't wait until danger is present often times.

mjohn620
12/03/12 3:25 pm

Just because it's by accident, doesn't mean that the intruder isn't going to be threatening. Drunk people get violent all the time. What happens when the drunk kid crawls in bed with your daughter because he thinks he's at home with his girlfriend?

Patimen California
12/03/12 2:43 pm

Trained police officers shoot unarmed, unthreatening people and get away with it all the time. Why should untrained, frightened home owners get that same treatment?

andwick
12/03/12 9:33 am

Lol Santa is going to have a tough time this christmas.... But In seriousness I would shoot, no one is going to hurt my loved ones. I don't care if they have a weapon or not

Weave77 Indianapolis
12/03/12 8:51 am

In the wise words of Clint Eastwood, "Get off my lawn!"

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
12/03/12 8:34 am

how would you know that intruder is not trying to make you comfortable BEFORE they attack you? just be cautious thats all..don't be trigger happy

centexken Republic of Texas
12/03/12 3:10 am

Shot him. He will more then likely be robbing people again after he gets out of prison.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/03/12 1:05 am

Mjohn, possession with intent to distribute is just about the quantity. It really does a have nothing to do with the mindset. This is good and necessary because mindset cannot be proven.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/03/12 12:59 am

Shooting a home invader is not murder.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/03/12 12:58 am

Just because it's not as easy doesn't mean I'd take any longer.

And no. I wouldn't shoot the raccoon. I'd catch it in a net or a blanket or something, take it outside, and decapitate it with a hatchet. It's quieter and less messy that way.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/03/12 12:52 am

A baby isn't presenting a credible threat of violence.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/03/12 12:47 am

If he points his gun at you, he can kill you; you've waited too long. If there's a criminal brandishing a firearm, that is a credible death threat to everyone present.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/03/12 12:43 am

WolfInThePen, the pictures of Treyvon I saw on the news were from when he was 8.