Show Of Hands January 25th, 2013 12:00am

The U.S. Dept. of Education has said that schools must begin providing equal access for disabled students to compete in sports, including making "reasonable modifications" to equipment, not denying a slot on a team, etc. Approve?

dmshe85
02/02/13 6:17 am

If you can pass tryouts than fine. If they are going to do this then every person who wants to play should. There would be 15 basketball teams, etc. who would all these teams compete against? Where does the money come from? Already in Ohio most public schools are pay to play.

Allie72 coffee lover
02/01/13 5:12 pm

Sports are competitive and I'm a competitive person. If it would hurt chances of success than no. There are the Special Olympics

susanr Colorado
01/30/13 2:11 pm

Wheelchair basketball is pretty fierce. No motors involved. But that's not the sort of thing that's being proposed.

princessjesi
01/29/13 9:53 pm

Best.Comment yet.People are more unaware of the many differences we can all have.seem to think that special needs is some sort of zombie like body that drools.Special needs ranges from dyslexia to autism to anxiety to ADD.To wheelchairs and walkers. Ill bet some of these kids are smarter than them.

susanr Colorado
01/29/13 11:55 am

I didn't see that in any of the examples of "reasonable accommodations."

susanr Colorado
01/29/13 11:54 am

Apparently you don't know much about what's actually been proposed.

rebelfury76 F Trump, F his idiot cult
01/29/13 2:15 am

Get governments out of education

imBobertRobert
01/28/13 9:23 pm

Actually this is a good idea. I'm sure coaches could figure out a way to allow motorized wheelchairs in track...
*sarcasm*

montie AnCap and proud
01/28/13 8:41 pm

Moterized wheelchair football sounds interesting.

poopsmith New Jersey
01/28/13 9:55 am

Put a flamingo in a gorilla cage, see what happens

kianiwaters Somewhere Over There
01/28/13 12:00 am

No worries Annie! I strive to be as compassionate as is healthful. I do have low moments but kindness is important to me.

01/27/13 11:55 pm

honestly and humor and all of a sudden I feel more calm and more able to arrange my own jumble of thoughts in to something I can use.
Not sure if that made sense since I am currently all aboard the Ambien train, but I hope it did.
Thanks Susan. :)

01/27/13 11:54 pm

Awwwww...you guys. :) I think my cheeks are as red as tomatoes now.
Susan, you're often the voice of reason that keeps me sane. I read through a topic and with each new comment I get angrier and more frustrated. Then I come up to posts of yours where you're battling the monster with tact, grace,…

01/27/13 11:47 pm

A bit of advice: read the comments here, then read just one or two short news articles on the matter.
I think it would answer a lot of your questions and assuage your concerns.

01/27/13 11:42 pm

Oh, okay. I get it. I took your original post to mean "Why do disabled kids need/want to be on their school's teams when they can join Special Olympics?"
Using nothing other than the printed word to convey ideas can be so frustrating. Lol

glyiker America
01/27/13 9:45 pm

Be fair to them. And there's no way a school can let a disabled kid play a sport without slowing everyone else down. Your not going to make everyone on a football team walk because a disabled kid is playing on the team are you?

glyiker America
01/27/13 9:44 pm

If the disabled kids can perform as well as a non disabled kid, than let them. I am sure most schools do already. But those aren't the type of disabled kids were talking about here. In our school, we have plenty of kids who didn't make sports teams, and guaranteeing a few spots on a team wouldn't

susanr Colorado
01/27/13 9:33 pm

Thanks for the kind words, fourwinds. I agree Annie's comments, often from personal experience, have been invaluable at pushing back some of the lack of understanding here.

kianiwaters Somewhere Over There
01/27/13 7:41 pm

I was in special Ed in middle school because I was a "slow learner", public school just doesn't like kids who think different or are different. Once in the classes that teach different I was able to enjoy learning.

kianiwaters Somewhere Over There
01/27/13 7:35 pm

It was just an example. I actually don't like sports but I like giving people a choice to do things they otherwise would not get a chance to participate in.
I get the "special" wording but no matter what it's called, someone is going to have a problem with the word.

01/27/13 7:25 pm

Some of these kids just need small modifications made to be able to fully participate.

01/27/13 7:25 pm

volleyball, soccer & run track & be busy all year long. Or even with playing basketball (or anything really) & being on a team with the same kids for several months.

- Many disabled kids *are* physically able to participate in traditional school sports and be on par with their teammates.

01/27/13 7:25 pm

of a 13 year-old makes a lot of sense & is understandable.

- Not all schools have on-going Special Olympics programs. For the school district I went to most of high school at, for example, the Special Olympics were an area-wide 1-2 week event & that was it. Not exactly on par with kids who can play

01/27/13 7:24 pm

Starry/YourTurn, unfortunately the Deaflympics are not very well known in the hearing world.

Kiani- 3acn said below that her/his own child doesn't want to participate in the Special Olympics because of the common use of "special" as "intellectually disabled", which, if you put yourself in the shoes

EarlyBird Portland
01/27/13 7:00 pm

Whoami - I changed my vote too.

01/27/13 6:59 pm

Out of sincere curiosity, what part(s) do you not agree with, if you don't mind sharing?

01/27/13 6:58 pm

knowledge and I just didn't feel I could keep my mouth shut (or my fingers still, I suppose?) if I could inform and/or enlighten even one person as to what the reality is for children with any manner of disability in public schools versus what the misconceptions and preconceptions are.

01/27/13 6:58 pm

Thanks Snuzzy.
I didn't even expect many people to read my, well, ranting on this topic, but I just couldn't let the things people said roll around in my head any more without commenting.
I am a firm believer that the biggest weapon we have against ignorance and all the ills that it causes is…

01/27/13 6:53 pm

Thanks Starry. :)

01/27/13 6:53 pm

*blushes* Aww, thanks, fourwinds.
I fear I'm getting far too impassioned over this poll question, but given my, well, life this topic hits home for me in a huge way.

01/27/13 6:26 pm

But we're also no where near the worst. We're not even the worst among first-world countries alone.

01/27/13 6:26 pm

Okay. I just wanted clarification on that.
I completely agree (not to mention that it is provable fact) that we are no where near the best in education and we have a long, long way to go to even be considered "average," let alone "above average."

01/27/13 6:18 pm

*not on the team
*facepalm* What a type-o to make.

kianiwaters Somewhere Over There
01/27/13 2:25 pm

I have actually never heard of them.

starry7
01/27/13 2:15 pm

How about Deaflympics?

kianiwaters Somewhere Over There
01/27/13 12:05 pm

Oh and I support ($ and belief) the Special Olympic.

kianiwaters Somewhere Over There
01/27/13 12:03 pm

Special Olympics. What are those for if not for non-prime athletes?

elliott7787
01/27/13 10:29 am

Such vague law can be interpreted much worse than the fairly straight forward constitution we have, why I said no but I do agree if a MR child has the capability to play he should be allowed but never guaranteed.

misterzero West Virginia
01/27/13 10:23 am

my daughter is autistic and even I don't fully agree with this

snuzzy
01/27/13 10:11 am

AnnieM- thank you for all the wonderful comments & information. I have a special needs child (classic autism) & I truly appreciate the time you put in to inform people of the reality of reasonable accommodations.

starry7
01/27/13 8:56 am

AnnieM...I read your many sweet comments. I have known you are a disabled person due to your back injury. I greatly appreciated to interact with your messages. Keep up your job as a sign language interpreter for the deaf in your community. God bless you richly! 

SCUBAGUY OSide
01/27/13 8:55 am

Your right, were just below average at a stagnant rate while the rest of the civilized world gains at 2-3x our rate.

SCUBAGUY OSide
01/27/13 8:54 am

American students ranked 25th in math, 17th in science and 14th in Reading.
students in Latvia, Chile and Brazil are making gains in academics three times faster than America. In Portugal, Hong Kong, Germany, Poland, Liechtenstein, Slovenia, Colombia and Lithuania are improving at twice the rate

fourwinds box of rain
01/27/13 8:06 am

But Annie thank you for giving us your perspective from an actual disabled person...some folks could use some serious empathy around here...

fourwinds box of rain
01/27/13 7:54 am

*Actually* smh at most of you...these results are sad, disturbing, and show a lack of understanding of the true nature and issues behind this law. See some of the great comments from AnnieM and susanr below; I'd rather not waste my wrist on this ignorance.

SugarShaq
01/27/13 7:27 am

The dept of education spends 1 B, yes billion, per year. With zero results and no increase in test scoring. Time to cut them and let states and municipalities run their schools

Alienmoose1 New York
01/27/13 4:28 am

Lol 91% of republicans. "FUCK THE DISABLED THIS IS 'MURICA!"

01/27/13 3:10 am

1) I agree with Susan.
2) But it's okay for the disabled kids to have to stand around and wait for the able bodied kids? I'm not getting your logic.