Show Of Hands January 24th, 2013 12:00am

In the past several years there has been increased attention on bullying in schools. Has school bullying become a big societal problem, or have we become overly sensitive?

ohm62
01/31/13 1:31 pm

Ok, so to the parents of ~ 2000 american kids a year committing suicide successfully consecutively to bullying, you basically say: tough luck; your kid should have got a grip, just like I did...?

You're weak, you die. No biggie. Natural selection, right?

zyga
01/31/13 11:45 am

I believe you are as strong as you believe you are. The human mind is a very complex thing that can, when it decides, can over come amazing things. Babying, so to speak, can sometimes be more harmful than the bullying, itself. You can not learn if nothing happens to you. Shit happens, clean it up.

zyga
01/31/13 11:38 am

Well considering I am the third generation of clinically depressed individuals, I would say that statistic is incorrect. I even deal with my depression without medication. Once I came to the realization that I am the one in control, I was fine. It's all in one's head. Yes, I had to deal with that.

ohm62
01/31/13 6:12 am

You are strong and resilient; good for you!
The propensity to depression is genetic, and you lucked out in that area. I am sure however your experience helped you developing empathy for those who are not so fortunate...

wright3f San Diego
01/31/13 12:55 am

Plus, those social medias make rumors easier, therefore more kids will accept the humor/behavior and behave what's "popular" (which, let's face it, it's not standing up to bullies but being followers).

wright3f San Diego
01/31/13 12:55 am

You go ahead and tell these kids to delete their accounts and deprive them of that because another kid can't stop their bullying. In this day and age, GOOD LUCK! Ha.

zyga
01/30/13 9:13 am

My husband and I were both bullied in school. We turned out just fine. Made me a much stronger and patient person. Also, having the satisfaction of knowing those bullies became, ummm, NOTHING makes me smile. =D

zyga
01/30/13 9:13 am

Notstr8
01/30/13 6:25 am

You learned from Home to have good self esteem... Consider yourself lucky!
Now do you think if kids don't get this at home.. Its their fault and ok if they're getting bullied?
I think not...

Notstr8
01/30/13 6:22 am

You clearly weren't bullied very bad. Plus with online & cell phone involvement bullying has become exponentially worse in recent times.

Notstr8
01/30/13 6:19 am

Very insensitive... Hope you don't have kids.

Notstr8
01/30/13 6:17 am

Not so easy to "get over it"
Child suicide is sky rocketing, so there needs to be school and parental intervention.

Notstr8
01/30/13 6:13 am

With the use and popularity of online devices, phones etc Bullying has taken on a new dimension.. It is truly much worse now than before all this technology
Plus it seems parents are understandably more busy these days and have less oversight in the cases of the kids that are the Bullies.

skschroen always at school
01/29/13 9:46 pm

Honestly, bullying seems worst in grade school, getting in higher grades tht all levels out , not much even mental that is worth worrying about.

skschroen always at school
01/29/13 9:44 pm

Well, lets see, if there are things she doesnt consider bullying, she is smart. Maybe the US is becomming too sensitive. I mean, you cant really justify something as bullying if there is another person who notices nothing to begin with. You obviously are wayyy to sensitive to deal with reality.Sucks

andyxoxo
01/29/13 5:00 pm

When I was in school, it wasn't so bad. Now my 7 year old cousin comes home crying everyday. The kids take her stuff, they have cut her hair, and they call her fat an make with fat jokes. She's only 7! She shouldn't be afraid of eating healthily! How would you like your kids hair cut by others?

crycry424
01/28/13 10:42 pm

in all reality bullying is a social problem whether or not you want to admit it or not. Today's society is a lot different but then again that's what society does it changes. not everyone has the necessary tools to deal with bullying. you might think it is easy for someone who is bullied to just ign

bturney
01/28/13 9:34 pm

It's no worse today than it was 30 years ago... Only difference is higher tolerance of the whiners

rockstar1980
01/28/13 9:04 pm

The media focuses on it more resulting in both the glorification of bully's and our increased sensitivity to it.

ACMilanFan
01/28/13 8:44 pm

Yes they can. Parents need to PARENT their children and stop trying to be their friends. Take away the social media outlets and the bullying can't follow. No instigators also.

indiaforshado
01/28/13 1:54 pm

They can delete their accounts if they are being bullied. they CAN get away from it, it's a choice don't give them the opportunity, or sit there and take the abuse.

wright3f San Diego
01/28/13 11:34 am

Let us all remember that we now have social media (Facebook, twitter, Instagram, MySpace, etc.). Those bullied can't get away from it.

lacegrenades Chicago
01/28/13 3:58 am

Irony? Most of these comments are people bullying one another.

greghmn
01/27/13 11:09 pm

I have to say I've seen this before on the Internet, but nice job putting it in context. Well done.

msSmith84
01/27/13 10:52 pm

sad but true. I teach my children to take no shit. if someone makes fun, walk away. if someone hits, well that's simple, hit them back harder

msSmith84
01/27/13 10:51 pm

bullies get off on making others hurt physically/emotionally...common sense. some more common sense is to teach your children to have enough self respect to stand up for themselves. children are unfortunately killing themselves due to their own weakness taught by none other than their own parents..

glyiker America
01/27/13 9:58 pm

Go to a teacher to fix it. I would definitely try to solve it on my own.

glyiker America
01/27/13 9:56 pm

Our school has all this anti bullying crap everywhere. I never noticed any bulling in the first place, and even if there was, putting up posters is not the way to go. They need to find the cause of the problem. I have never been bullied, so maybe I don't know, but I think the last thin I would do is

Sallygal
01/27/13 8:15 pm

I think bullying is an issue. But it always has been an now we are becoming aware and overly sensitive. There is always going to be "drama" per say were your son or daughter is put down, verbally abused, insulted etc. That is part of childhood. It happens and you become a stronger person an move on.

greghmn
01/27/13 2:21 pm

If it were survival of the fittest you would be one of the first to go.

Nikolaus
01/27/13 12:04 am

I blame parents. Teach your kids right from wrong. There has to be personal accountability. A child is a product of their environment, which means if they are acting like a bully ask your self "what is influencing them?". And some kids that get picked on might need to show a little backbone.

Titothedog Texas
01/26/13 10:29 pm

You call it bullying, I call it survival of the fittest.

BiscuitJone Florida
01/26/13 10:09 pm

Never bullied, huh?

BladeNut MA
01/26/13 9:38 pm

just because its not crying doesnt mean its not feeling…anger is a feeling.…

but seriously yes it needs to be taught to kids to grow a pair. and it is that simple.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
01/26/13 6:05 pm

Overly sensitive. The US is becoming wussy. Kids have to learn about bullies and standing up to them. Otherwise they'll bend over and say "ram planes up my as again like 9/11 and I'll just apologize that your terrorists died in the impact". Or they'll freak out with a gun when they don't get a job.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
01/26/13 6:04 pm

Everyone has turned into overly sensitive crazy people that are offended by everything.

elyonia679
01/26/13 4:54 pm

you might think its natural and normal, but children are DYING because of this. these bullies are destroying lives for what? self-righteousness? respect? adoration? fear? this is something we can stop, and yet we do nothing.

elyonia679
01/26/13 4:52 pm

bullying has been around since the dawn of time. but back then it was survival of the fittest. but by now we should see that this is a problem. everyone has the right to a safe education, and when kids feel threatened to come to school, that's not good.

cowboy Come on, man
01/26/13 4:25 pm

You're the one fighting about turning a machine off. Now you're upset at me for stating the obvious? You got problems kid.

Evseng2
01/26/13 3:55 pm

Wow.. Someone thinks differently of you and you turn and are condescending to them. Hmm.. Narcissistic I believe!
Oh and btw: this isn't necessarily what I would do, it's just what I believe.
But I think it's so cute how you think you can judge us personally when you don't know us!

cowboy Come on, man
01/26/13 3:08 pm

I guess you can't get past step one. Poor kid.

cowboy Come on, man
01/26/13 3:05 pm

That's a very important lesson. Good for you.

Evseng2
01/26/13 3:00 pm

Hey bro, couldn't care less. Have a nice day

cowboy Come on, man
01/26/13 2:54 pm

No kidding ev? Bullying happens to everybody? Wow you sure cracked that code. Thanks. But to the point. Who cares about "stopping" bullying? Conservatives? Or Liberals? Pretty simple choice here, right?

cowboy Come on, man
01/26/13 2:50 pm

You couldn't last without a computer kiddo. God forbid you turn the damn thing off. Oh the horror!...

Evseng2
01/26/13 1:54 pm

The world changes dude. If technology becomes available.. So what? I'm sure they'll be plenty of things I don't have now that my kids will at my age. Doesn't mean I'm more disciplined. Just means they have better opportunities

BluejayV Life is Cinema
01/26/13 1:36 pm

Grow a pair? Really? It's just that easy! Holy shit! It's just that easy now! Wow! You don't just "grow a pair". You grow some effing feelings.

BluejayV Life is Cinema
01/26/13 1:34 pm

Uh, you may not see it, but that doesn't mean it's there. Maybe they're just things you don't consider bullying.

BluejayV Life is Cinema
01/26/13 1:30 pm

I was actually expelled from my middle school because I was being bullied! I was choked and nearly blinded. I had both my pants and boxers pulled down in front of everyone on my way to school. Yet the school claimed it was my fault and the police didn't care. What kind of sick system is this!