Show Of Hands January 24th, 2013 12:00am

Does good parenting virtually always result in kids who grow up to become good (law abiding, caring, etc) adults?

bturney
01/28/13 9:33 pm

This is a skewed question... Most people (even parents of real brats) think they are good parents... And everyone's definition of 'good parents' are going to be different...

Learn
01/28/13 5:39 pm

This question is both a yes and no answer do to the fact that no matter how much a parent tries to raise a child right, that child still has a personality, thoughts, and will of his own and because of this that kid makes choices that go outside of what he was brought up to do.

Nikolaus
01/27/13 12:08 am

If you need a definition of what good parenting is and your kids are screwed up.....you're doing it wrong.

squish
01/26/13 6:47 pm

Bad things happen to good parents.

aba2011
01/26/13 5:39 pm

It depends how you define good parenting, but it seems by definition it would be a yes. Especially from a behavioral and scientific point of view.

melders Entertainment Sometimes
01/26/13 5:18 pm

Secondly, Dream said that trying to force belief on a child is borderline child abuse. He/she did NOT say that Christianity is child abuse, as you seem to think. No one in their right mind would want to outlaw Christianity, nor would they draw the conclusion you did from Dream's statement.

melders Entertainment Sometimes
01/26/13 5:12 pm

First off, cowboy, unless you think I'm related to one of these other commenters, that should say "mothers' hearts".

melders Entertainment Sometimes
01/26/13 5:05 pm

The question refers to good kids, not just law abiding. It says caring too. I think a lot of kids with good parents could become selfish, even if they don't break the law.

ScrewU Gone
01/26/13 3:20 pm

Can't imagine what 64% of you are thinking. Good parenting is THE critical component of upbringing.

I've long said as a cop I deal with only two kinds of kids - poor kids whose parent(s) are too busy working to pay attention to them and rich kids whose parent(s) are too busy working to...

ScrewU Gone
01/26/13 3:17 pm

It says "virtually always"

Reading comprehension much?

Harrith2
01/26/13 1:08 pm

Yes, by its very definition a good parent is one that develops good kids. As a parent you have to learn and adapt to the style that helps each of your kids become a good adult.

cowboy Come on, man
01/26/13 12:44 pm

Geoag is correct. I do believe these people broke their poor mother's heart. Disrespectful brats. Their parents try to raise them right and this is the thanks they get?

cowboy Come on, man
01/26/13 12:42 pm

So dream, do you think that Christianity should be against the law? If you believe it is actually "child abuse"?

tonyp4420
01/26/13 1:23 am

Not always, but more times than not!

Happy Hong Kong
01/25/13 11:50 pm

That's why I said virtually, not always.

brennonos
01/25/13 10:56 pm

This was a loaded question.
"Always?" Come on now.
There are very few "always" in life.

Change this question to "typically" or "usually" or "in most cases, and I bet we would see very different results.

Yes, good parenting developed hood children in most cases.

D330
01/25/13 10:09 pm

Taking the Q at face value, good parenting usually creates good kids. However, personality is partly genetic, some traits & behaviors (like alcoholism) are strongly genetic, and - most importantly - good parenting often cannot overcome traumatic experiences.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
01/25/13 9:29 pm

Oh no, cowboy actually believes what he said. He's just that much of an ass.

jbuty
01/25/13 8:48 pm

Law abiding.... That is not how I wood define good

ayeyguy Arizona
01/25/13 8:27 pm

I'm 99% sure cowboy is trolling, and believes the opposite of what he's saying.

KathrynRose
01/25/13 8:14 pm

It makes it much more likely, but in the end, the kid's their own person, and even the best parents can't change that.

musicnerd RHIT
01/25/13 7:13 pm

Well, if the person is sane, I would say yes. But few parents are that perfect.

ayeyguy Arizona
01/25/13 7:11 pm

Usually? Yes.
Virtually always? No.

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/25/13 7:08 pm

My experience with my parents is actually one of the reasons I worked with kids. I wanted them to have a caring adult in their lives, even if that adult didn't happen to be one of their parents. I sure could've used someone like me when I was younger.

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/25/13 7:07 pm

I had abusive parents and in my opinion, I turned out quite well. :)
I do think that it would have been easier to do right if my parents had done their job. But hey, no one said life should be easy!

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/25/13 7:05 pm

Government restricts you from parenting? Is this a new conspiracy theory? It's getting hard to keep up with them.

dreamitliveit IDLH
01/25/13 7:00 pm

My parents tried to force me to be Christian also. Fortunately it didn't work. That type of brainwashing is bordering on child abuse.

zigtiger823 everywhere
01/25/13 5:38 pm

usually but not always

gonzoboy Arizona
01/25/13 4:48 pm

Agree with @ryno. Thank you Ms. Annie!

outdoorgirl
01/25/13 3:32 pm

I think it gives the kid the best chance of becoming a kind, compassionate, successful, law abiding person but no guarantees.

supermom1
01/25/13 2:49 pm

The trick to this question is that people will not agree on what good parenting is. A lot of what people *think* is good parenting is not nearly good enough.

Marquand635 Florida
01/25/13 2:25 pm

Good parenting is always a help as long as the parent is being more of a parent and not trying to buy the child's friendship ,but there are no guarantees and when the government restricts you from parenting it makes it harder.

Captainbstring Doctors 4 Trump 2020
01/25/13 2:15 pm

The silver bullet to fix education is PARENTS. the kids of parents that dont do their jobs create the majority of the problems and violence.

hexin Wisconsin
01/25/13 2:04 pm

I feel that even though my brother and I are only two years apart, our parents treated us differently, they were more strict with me. He does many distasteful, sometimes illegal things, and brags to our parents who just laugh. You can have the same parents but have a very different upbringing.

AnnieM The Island
01/25/13 1:12 pm

(we never have seen eye-to-eye on anything) and then imagined how much worse that feeling would have been if I'd thought she truly believed I wasn't her kid. Wasn't truly a part of the family.
It just made me feel bad for your sister. That couldn't have been easy on her or your parents.

AnnieM The Island
01/25/13 1:12 pm

Mellow- I figured there was much more to the story, that's why I wanted to clarify that I wasn't passing judgement on your folks or your sister. I'm just thinking about how I personally felt when my mother would tell me that I must not be her daughter because of this or that…

AnnieM The Island
01/25/13 1:11 pm

say he should be doing. It's his life and settling down and raising children isn't for everyone.
Our mother doesn't see it that way, though. ;) She thinks he's ruining his life.

AnnieM The Island
01/25/13 1:10 pm

Fiat- My brother is almost 29 and still says he doesn't ever want kids. I don't really care. It's his choice, and honestly if he flat out doesn't want kids and doesn't think he'll be a good father then I think it's smart of him to not have kids instead of giving in to what society (and our mother)…

AnnieM The Island
01/25/13 1:02 pm

because using "always" and "never" would produce very predictable responses and wouldn't address the real question being asked.

AnnieM The Island
01/25/13 1:01 pm

when the spirit of the question isn't if good parents are guaranteed to have good kids, but if parenting plays such a strong role in who their children are that good parents will typically turn out good kids.

Using words & phrases like "virtually always" or "most of the time," is just common sense…

AnnieM The Island
01/25/13 1:01 pm

I think he uses words like "virtually" in cases like these because if he simply said "always" then 99% of the voters would say "no" because they know one person that had great parents that turned out to be a bad apple or because the role mental illness or other uncontrollable variables can play,…

AnnieM The Island
01/25/13 12:53 pm

Simply sitting down to dinner together 3 nights a week isn't all that important on its own. It's the other things that go with it.

AnnieM The Island
01/25/13 12:53 pm

and encourage hard work in attaining your goals. They'll probably be more likely to do things that encourage good self-esteem. All of these things (and more) will produce children that are more likely to go to college and get decent paying jobs. And so on and so forth.

AnnieM The Island
01/25/13 12:52 pm

Yeah, but I'd bet that's another correlation vs. causation thing. Families that sit down to dinner are more likely to have involved parents. The parents are more likely to encourage or even push the children to make good grades, they're more likely to care which friends they are hanging out with,…

AnnieM The Island
01/25/13 12:44 pm

Geoag-
1) I completely agree and awesome analogy! I'll have to remember that!
B) Autocorrect does some stupid things. Mine always seems to change "our" and "put" to "out." (but apparently if I out them in quotes it works just fine.)

FaceMoose Over There
01/25/13 12:42 pm

Nope! My brother and I had the same upbringing. I was an A student, now a college grad and on my way to being very successful. My brother is a delinquent, barely graduated high school, and on his way to becoming an alcoholic.