gow488 August 18th, 2015 2:37am

TV host John Oliver has established Our Lady Of Perpetual Exemption, an official tax exempt church to prove how simple it is. Should there be stricter requirements to create a tax exempt church.

jlong105 Indiana
08/22/15 4:54 am

For people who want churches taxed, remember that taxation would require representation. Separation of church and state would have to give in.

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
08/17/15 8:33 pm

There shouldn't be tax exemptions for any church.

08/17/15 8:57 pm

They're not selling anything, so what exactly do you think would be taxed? Gifts? Should gifts be taxed? Or only gifts to churches because you're a religious bigot?

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
08/17/15 9:02 pm

They're selling false hope.

08/17/15 9:16 pm

I can't tell if you're really so ignorant about what happens inside a church that you genuinely believe it's transactional, or if you're just so full of hate that you don't care what the truth is. Or perhaps both. But I won't guess--you tell me.

08/17/15 9:20 pm

I'm not sure which is more appalling: your ignorance of how money works, or your ignorance of the U.S. Tax code. 😜

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
08/17/15 9:20 pm

You clearly didn't watch the clip. Also, I wasted 18 years of my life being dragged to various churches. I think I know how it works.

08/17/15 9:47 pm

Correct, I didn't watch the clip. And you clearly don't understand how money, churches, or taxes work ☺️.

08/17/15 9:48 pm

Or perhaps you don't know what "sell" means. Good heavens... Are you one of those Occupy whatever people?

blitz6799 Chicagoland
08/19/15 9:48 am

What about property value? Homes have property taxes that don't require a business transaction to be due. That's what I always thought the call to remove the exemptions was based on.

08/19/15 10:01 am

That's a good question, and you're the first person that I can recall raising the issue of exemption from property taxes, so kudos for thinking outside the box. Honestly, 99.9% of people saying that non-profits should be taxed have no idea how....

08/19/15 10:05 am

how taxation works; that by itself doesn't make them bad people, but the conversation gets very frustrating very quickly. Regardless, the first thing to recognize is that a 501(c)(3) status is a federal income tax status...

08/19/15 10:09 am

With a few, odd exceptions, there isn't a federal property tax, making it a state and local issue. How the states and localities treat non-profits varies by state and locality. In the instances where they are exempt from property tax...

08/19/15 10:12 am

Or I should say "specially exempt" from paying property tax, my opinion is that the issue of taxation should depend on how the property is being used. For example:

08/19/15 10:16 am

If you give me, a non-profit, $1,000 and I convert that $1,000 to a car that is used to deliver sick kids to doctor appointments (or whatever the function of my organization is), there shouldn't be a tax on the car--

08/19/15 10:19 am

Because the alternative is that the money be given directly to the kids for bus/taxi fare, or some other cost inefficient process. In that instance, the non-profit allows people to pool their gifts efficiently. But if you had a church that was...

08/19/15 10:23 am

Renting out their facility on weekdays, or running a side business, or creating any scenario wherein the function of ownership isn't cost efficiency, taxation would be appropriate...

08/19/15 10:27 am

all that said, non-profits pay a cost for their existence. For example, they can't be used to advocate for political positions and they have to function within their declared purpose. Isn't it best if we help them do what they're suppose to do...

08/19/15 10:28 am

And encourage them keep it that way? I argue that, under the current situation, everyone wins.