TopsQueen August 17th, 2015 5:57pm

I am a natural early riser as is my granddaughter. The rest of the family likes to sleep late. Do you think traits like that are genetically connected? My husband told her mom to blame me. Fine with me.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
08/18/15 12:44 pm

Most of my family except one of my sisters and all of my nieces and,nephews are early risers. I'm usually one of first up. I just lay in bed till someone gets up. I hate being the only one up

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
08/17/15 8:53 pm

I don't know. I recently went from 500% night owl to an early to bed early to riser. I don't think I've gone to bed so early since I was a baby! (Tonight is an exception.)

Yoko318 Utah
08/17/15 7:25 pm

My wife wakes up very slowly, but I can get up with my first alarm.

susanr Colorado
08/17/15 3:53 pm

It's probably at least partly genetics. There was a study on human twins, and a more recent one on fruit flies (don't laugh; we share the same genetic pathways involved) that point in that direction. It's pretty clearly not entirely genetic though

susanr Colorado
08/17/15 3:53 pm

since people can change patterns over the course of their lives, in one direction or the other.

I don't know enough about either study I mentioned, or any others, to know how valid they are.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
08/17/15 9:23 pm

Thank you that's really interesting.

KatG Liberal in Ohio
08/17/15 3:23 pm

I come from a family of night owls, so I'll go with genetics.

catpillow Florida West Coast
08/17/15 3:17 pm

I don't know, but if my husband and I are any example waking up early is not a dominant trait. We're both night owls and both of our parents were early risers.

gallae Michigan
08/17/15 2:45 pm

My theory is that it has to do with the time of day you were born.

Jeninerd Hoth, AK
08/17/15 12:30 pm

I think both genetics and environment influence things like this.

phen nebraska
08/17/15 12:20 pm

No I don't. Think its something that is trained and observed and learned.

imanag My heaven on Earth
08/17/15 11:57 am

Definitely! Stat & I ate late risers/night owls. Our oldest & youngest are like us. Our middle son is an early riser like my mom & younger brother. Definitely in the genes.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
08/17/15 11:51 am

I do think it has a genetic component! Mom & I were both nite owls!

TreeHugs Oregon
08/17/15 11:18 am

My daughter and I have the same traits: early riser as kids, slept in during teens/20s. I'm sure she'll be like me and start getting up early again when she hits her 30s.

cpaswr just say the letters
08/17/15 11:07 am

I think there is an environmental piece to it as well. My son will wake up on his own between 6-6:30. He is used to being woken up at 5AM to get ready to go to daycare.