LordAF August 17th, 2015 1:09am

David is biologically a man, however he has a strong "feminine side" and chooses to identify as a woman. Is David a man, as his/her biology dictates, or a woman, as he/she chooses to identify?

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
08/16/15 10:19 pm

I feel like I'm a NFL quarterback though I'm really not. If I tell everyone that I'm a NFL quarterback, then am I a NFL quarterback? Or, am I a liar and/or crazy...?

DocLove
08/16/15 11:17 pm

I'm a tyrannosaurus rex.

johnnycub Bronx
08/16/15 10:00 pm

If he's actually transgender and identifies as a woman, than u wouldn't mind calling her such. Life is too short to raise a fuss and piss them off over such a trivial thing.

MaxineL New Jersey
08/16/15 9:01 pm

If David is living as a woman, then she should be viewed as such.

d6410 Texas
08/16/15 8:44 pm

Why are so many of you guys judgemental? Why can't people do whatever makes them happy?

scmama South Carolina
08/16/15 9:49 pm

Why are you so willing to ignore a person's mental illness and deny their need for treatment? Gender dysphoria is, by definition, a form of anxiety and/or depression, which deserves real treatment, not just pretty clothes and makeup.

scmama South Carolina
08/16/15 9:51 pm

And where would we be as a society if we let everyone just "do whatever makes them happy?"

DocLove
08/16/15 11:18 pm

Wait. Tomorrow I was gonna be a grizzly bear. So...no?

d6410 Texas
08/17/15 4:54 am

Ok, within the context, it does not affect you in any way. It really doesn't. So why betllitle them? Why demonize them demonize? Who cares if they transition, it doesn't affect you.

scmama South Carolina
08/17/15 5:18 am

First, it's a big assumption to make to say it doesn't affect me. You don't know that. Secondly, recognizing mental illness for what it is doesn't belittle or demonize. You're perpetuating the stigma of mental illness to say so. That's insensitive.

d6410 Texas
08/17/15 5:20 am

Inform me if how it affects you if someone saves up the money and pays for their own gender re assignment surgery. Do you even know anything about this topic? Whether it's a mental illness or not doesn't matter. Transitioning gets rid of their

scmama South Carolina
08/17/15 5:31 am

For the first article, I couldn't get past the part where the author (which, BTW, has no credibility on reddit; could be anyone) says it's easier to give in to the mental illness than treat it. That's an absurd justification for SRs.

d6410 Texas
08/17/15 5:38 am

It's someone who is actually trans, and accurately reflects how they feel. Also the American Psychological Association says it's not a mental illness but I figured you'd ignore everything that you don't agree with.

scmama South Carolina
08/17/15 5:40 am

Johns Hopkins stopped doing the surgeries because long-term effects on the patients no longer outweighed the initial benefits.

d6410 Texas
08/17/15 5:41 am

For them I'm sure
So original question you never answered, why do you care if people transition? How does it affect you what people do with their own money?

scmama South Carolina
08/17/15 5:42 am

And a 30-year study in Sweden finds increased mental illness among post-op transgenders after 10 years, with a suicide rate 20 times the general population. I believe you're the one ignoring evidence.

scmama South Carolina
08/17/15 5:45 am

This is an issue for our entire society. Plus, I have kids and I'm responsible for their health and wellness til they're 18. I have to be informed on these issues if I am to seek appropriate treatment for any illness.

d6410 Texas
08/17/15 5:47 am

And yet the post op depression is highly likely to be from non acceptance in society, from people like you. Same with the LGBT community and coming out.
Again, if a man decides to become a woman, how does that affect you? That's their

d6410 Texas
08/17/15 5:47 am

open decision that they're making for themselves.

scmama South Carolina
08/17/15 5:47 am

Why should I care if my neighbor spends his money on illegal drugs? Why should I care if the woman on the corner prostitutes herself? Because we are all part of this society. That's why.

d6410 Texas
08/17/15 5:52 am

We are all apart of this society. That doesn't just include you and your morals. That reasoning is absolutely ridiculous. That's the same excuse people made against the gays.

d6410 Texas
08/17/15 5:55 am

Also that's an incredibly vague answer to a very specific question. Elaborate or try again.

scmama South Carolina
08/17/15 8:57 am

Listen, I've had fun messing with you, but now I'm done. Transgenderism isn't a moral issue; it's a mental health issue and we need to address it as such. Homosexuality is neither. I don't confuse these two topics and neither should you.

sydwel
08/16/15 8:23 pm

She is a woman and should be recognized as such (gender /= sex). And being a trans woman is not about having a "feminine side." It's more than just seemingly aligning with various gender stereotypes.

MachoMatt84 Mountain climbing
08/16/15 8:31 pm

Please see my helpful flow chart below.

sydwel
08/16/15 10:30 pm

Yes, thank you for your oversimplification (you discount intersex) of biological sex. David's gender identity meanwhile, is a separate issue.

kscott516 EB rules
08/17/15 8:41 am

"Intersex" is a genetic mutation. It's not normal and wouldn't be considered as such.

sydwel
08/17/15 9:00 am

Blond hair is a genetic mutation, what's your point? I'm kidding around a bit here, but I wasn't claiming my comment was a complete and detailed analysis of biological sex and gender identity. Just pointing out that matt's isn't either.

kscott516 EB rules
08/17/15 1:48 pm

Blonde hair is not a mutation so there's no analogy to be made there.

sydwel
08/17/15 3:00 pm

It did indeed arise as a genetic mutation. But I digress, it's unimportant to the discussion.

kscott516 EB rules
08/17/15 3:18 pm

Actually it's not. It's a standard phenotype for a human. Nevertheless, the subject in question is a gender identity disorder. Disorders require medical treatment for correction, not continuation of the disorder.

sydwel
08/17/15 4:45 pm

Being trans isn't a medical disorder however; there is no indication that being transgender itself causes psychological distress.

kscott516 EB rules
08/17/15 5:57 pm

Webster's:
a mental or bodily condition marked primarily by sufficient disorganization of personality, mind, and emotions to seriously impair the normal psychological functioning of the individual—called also mental illness

kscott516 EB rules
08/17/15 5:58 pm

That fits transgenderism quite snugly

sydwel
08/17/15 6:38 pm

There is nothing to suggest transgenderism impairs normal psychological functioning. Regardless, I am more inclined to align with the American Psychiatric Association and various medical studies. It is even suggested that for those trans individuals

sydwel
08/17/15 6:39 pm

Who do experience severe dysphoria, physically transitioning is an effective treatment.

MrMilkdud
08/16/15 8:13 pm

He's a man. If people really cared about him they'd help him get in touch with his male side and deal with his mental problems instead of playing along.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
08/16/15 8:27 pm

Winner winner chicken dinner!

chickencookie It really is
08/16/15 9:26 pm

Hey just leave me out of this😡

kscott516 EB rules
08/17/15 8:40 am

I agree. It's like a child telling you they have an imaginary friend and you continue to play along even as they become an adult.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
08/16/15 8:02 pm

Why do we socially care one way or the other. The only times that gender should be relevant are when choosing who to have kids with (you must discover which gender you are and pick someone who is the other one to do it with) or...

geoag02 Dallas, TX
08/16/15 8:05 pm

Times when you are going to be removing whatever cloth coverings you have over your sex organs in a public place and it has been deemed unacceptable to do this around people who don't have the same stuff that you have down there.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
08/16/15 8:09 pm

If I want to have a kid, I can only pull that off if I partner up with someone who actually is a woman. A man who identifies as a woman isn't going to be able to give birth to my child and I am not going to be able to give birth to his/hers.

Vayl Reason over common sense
08/16/15 7:56 pm

David is biologically a male, but socially a female.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
08/16/15 7:47 pm

The idea of male/female dichotomy has both physiological & sociological aspects.
This is proven by the differences in male/female roles across cultures.
Biologically, David is male. Socially, David is Female & should be treated as such if she wishes.

MachoMatt84 Mountain climbing
08/16/15 7:33 pm

Flow chart:
Has a Y chromosome
/ \
/ \
Man. Woman.

kscott516 EB rules
08/16/15 8:15 pm

Best answer of the day

MachoMatt84 Mountain climbing
08/16/15 8:23 pm

I like to keep it simple and easy to understand, ya know? Thus, I've provided this helpful and peer reviewed flow chart.

kscott516 EB rules
08/17/15 8:39 am

Pictures make it easy

Yoko318 Utah
08/16/15 7:26 pm

I don't care how many hormones you take, how many surgeries you have, your DNA will not change. You will always be the gender you're born as.

MrMilkdud
08/16/15 8:12 pm

But what if you wear a really pretty dress and spend a lot of money on high heels?

LordAF
08/16/15 8:15 pm

Then you are a really feminine dude.
Or a cross dresser.
Or "metrosexual" (the "scientific" term for dudes when they're actin like chicks). Lol

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
08/16/15 7:21 pm

He is unquestionably a man. His DNA will tell you that. And that's all that matters.