BetweenRivers August 16th, 2015 2:20pm

I've been questioning different routes in which I could potentially major. Two seem to stick in my mind when thinking about it. Which is a better major in your opinion?

PB246 California
08/17/15 11:16 pm

Consider School Psychology to become a school psych! I LOVE my job-- you get training in both psychology and education as well as cognitive testing, school systems, crisis intervention, and mental health. There are ways to do private practice as well

PB246 California
08/17/15 11:17 pm

You can work in a school, private office, district office, or branch off into research. Plus you can do a mix of both. If you work in a school you generally get higher pay than most jobs in a school and you still get summers and holidays off

PB246 California
08/17/15 11:22 pm

You get to work with kids, help families and teachers, use psychology a ton, work your own schedule during the day, work closely with the admin, and you get regular school hours. It's like the best of both psych and education

PB246 California
08/17/15 11:23 pm

Oh and did I mention counseling? You can also get your degree in school psych and get your LPCC which allows you to practice any type of counseling, private practice or with an agency or group.

BetweenRivers
08/18/15 6:02 pm

That sounds wonderful, really. I might consider that

mynamehere69 South Carolina
08/16/15 7:07 pm

I would think psychology could be detrimental to yourself. To the extreme of course, but I could see that happening to myself.

BetweenRivers
08/18/15 6:01 pm

It can be detrimental or beneficial, depending. I can see both happening

catpillow Florida West Coast
08/16/15 5:17 pm

I'd suggest you ask your guidance counsellor or psychology professor what tests you could take to match your personality and aptitude to that of people in various careers. It might help you choose.

catpillow Florida West Coast
08/16/15 5:18 pm

You might also consider not choosing and doing a double major.

BetweenRivers
08/16/15 6:16 pm

Both very very good ideas.

brianator2
08/16/15 1:38 pm

It really depends on the path that you intend to take once you're finished. Don't undertake a course of study just for the sake of doing so. If it's not training you for a specific career, you're wasting time, money, and opportunity.

BetweenRivers
08/16/15 3:17 pm

Definitely. My major should be what I plan on doing as a career.

brianator2
08/16/15 3:31 pm

Are you considering any other career paths?

brianator2
08/16/15 3:55 pm

Well if you're young, and I'm guessing you are, you probably haven't had a lot exposure to different job paths yet. In that context, psychology will probably be more useful to you if you switch majors later in your studies.

Nik
08/16/15 9:36 am

Same thing I told my kids;
Study/do something you enjoy, don't make the decision by how much money you can make. It really sucks to do something you don't really like.

brianator2
08/16/15 1:39 pm

Are your kids in the workforce yet? How are they doing? I hope they they're well and I agree that they'll be happier following that advice, but happiness doesn't pay the electric bill 😊

Nik
08/16/15 2:04 pm

Yes and no, my son is an accountant full time finishing his MBA, he's love that. First daughter was a physical therapy assist, gone back to school to get full PT. second daughter is in her 2nd year of law school. All three are doing what they love.

brianator2
08/16/15 2:23 pm

Now that I've thought about it, I would argue that your advice is partially right. Find something that you love that will also lead to a career path. It's possible to do both, and it's a mistake to sacrifice either.

BetweenRivers
08/16/15 3:16 pm

My mom said the same thing. My dad encourages money based though, so I get a good blend of thinking really realistically and for myself.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
08/16/15 9:30 am

I went with psych because I study human behavior on my own for fun. What's good for me may not be for you though. Gotta make your own decision on this one.

BetweenRivers
08/16/15 3:15 pm

Definitely. Just looking for general opinions. Thanks! :)

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
08/16/15 9:06 am

Look at the basic classes, the ones you need to take, for both... get a firm base under you, then decide, you may, on your way to one, find something else.
And always keep a fall back plan, just in case something goes wrong with your first choice...

BetweenRivers
08/16/15 3:15 pm

Definitely. Right now I'm in my first year of a college level psychology class, to hopefully help determine if that's what I want to do with my life.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
08/16/15 9:00 am

I'm biased towards psychology, because that's what I want to major in, but I think it's a better paying field, and more consistent than education. You could always teach psychology, haha.

BetweenRivers
08/16/15 3:14 pm

I've honestly considered that. Or child psychology