DoctorWasdarb August 15th, 2015 4:31am

Earlier in this summer I asked if you had questions about the French health care system, as it is world renown. Here I answer your questions.

clfs34 Florida
08/19/15 2:36 pm

I work for Mayo Clinic & in our newsletter we had world healthcare rankings for everything (patient satisfaction, quality, etc). France is # 1, Italy is # 2, Spain is # 7 & we (USA) are # 37...

08/20/15 9:08 am

I feel like that should be changed. The US should pick up its game.

dlaw4570
08/20/15 5:01 pm

You could move to France...

clfs34 Florida
08/21/15 6:16 am

I rather go to Spain or Italy...

08/21/15 7:35 am

But I speak French. That drives my choice within Europe.

clfs34 Florida
08/21/15 9:00 am

Makes sense. You could also go to Switzerland.

dlaw4570
08/19/15 1:10 pm

Never heard of as being good, French friends claim its badly abused by third world immigrants...sound familiar?

08/20/15 9:11 am

From the people I talked to, they said that the number of people who cheat the system is low. They say that it's inevitable that people will cheat, but there is not enough cheating for them to consider changing the system.

Nik
08/19/15 1:02 pm

Thank you so very much, well done!

With this info does this show how we Americans are easily swayed by propaganda?

I don't know why I wasn't following you before but I am now.

mynamehere69 South Carolina
08/14/15 9:55 pm

Very informative. Thanks!

08/14/15 9:46 pm

bringsthebeagle: No, they do not have death panels.

08/14/15 9:45 pm

Sk8board: everyone likes the system, despite its downsides, however no one would rather the American system.

08/14/15 9:44 pm

Responding to commonsense on my first poll: walking in for any specialist care is often difficult. The length of lines really varies on how rare your specialist need is and how urgent the care is.

gow488 Wisconsin
08/14/15 9:39 pm

Why do you know so much about the French health care system?

08/14/15 9:47 pm

I spent a month in France, and with supplimental research, I know a lot. I don't know why, but countries with this system spend less money on health care per capita. I can't explain it.

08/14/15 9:50 pm

To clarify, in France I didn't experience the health care system. I simply talked with people who do experience it.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/14/15 9:37 pm

Do the French have a sick day system or is it more like Germany, meaning when you're sick and a doctor writes an attestation you do not have a limit, sick is sick, you get paid sick leave.

08/14/15 9:33 pm

General overview: for pretty much everything, the government pays for health coverage, regular check ups, visits with your primary care physician, etc. If you are instructed to visit a specialist by your primary care physician, that visit is paid by

08/14/15 9:35 pm

the government. If you were not instructed, then you must pay yourself. The way the government pays for things is a bit complicated. Basically, you pay when you go, but then the government reimburses you most or all of your payments. The money for

08/14/15 9:38 pm

health insurance and various other programs comes from a special tax, I believe it is not too different from our Trust Fund. Everyone pays this, even those who receive other benefits.

Going to the emergency room is free. Despite the misconception,

08/14/15 9:39 pm

lines are generally not very long, in the ER or for appointments. Also despite what people in the states will say to advocate our system, the quality of care is equally as good in France and much of Europe as it is here, and some would say even

08/14/15 9:41 pm

better than here because doctors aren't trying to make a buck off of their patients. However, the US does better with cancer research, but that has little to do with our system. In talking with people, there were only two major problems with the

08/14/15 9:42 pm

system. The first being that the manner in which the government reimburses for care, it is often difficult for homeless people to be reimbursed. The second is that it is expensive, although we spend over twice as much per capita on health care here.

08/14/15 10:00 pm

Also, private doctors do exist, but you cannot be reimbursed if you go to them and their rates are independent from the rates of those on the public system.