MachoMatt84 August 14th, 2015 11:45pm

Another user has said that I have a "mental illness" because I believe in God. Do you think believing in God is a legitimate mental disorder?

cowboy Here and There
08/15/15 4:54 am

Liberalism is a mental disorder. Stay strong! 🙏🏻✌🏼️

joesoup
08/15/15 4:24 am

I wonder how many that don't believe in God are under 30?

17millionTwats Leeds, UK
08/14/15 11:59 pm

I'm atheist and i have no problem with others having religious beliefs. I only have a problem with it when they try to shove their beliefs down my/ others throats

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
08/14/15 11:20 pm

Of course not. But having an unregenerate sinner's mind is. That's why that user mistakenly thinks you're the one who's crazy.

nicnerd
08/14/15 11:02 pm

I do not believe in any god, but I do not think that people who do are mentally ill.

LetsJustBanGov ohio
08/14/15 10:19 pm

I think believing there is no God is a mental illness.

qwerty13
08/14/15 9:45 pm

I mean, even though I'm an atheist, religion is a beautiful thing. A mental illness? Not even close.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
08/14/15 10:31 pm

I was going to follow you just for that comment, but I'm already following you, haha.

SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
08/14/15 9:19 pm

There seems to be more of this lately. I miss the times when I could have an intelligent debate with someone about God and religion. Now it's all just "you're wrong, you're stupid, you're inferior."

MrMilkdud
08/14/15 9:28 pm

Targeted polls seem to help with this. I've posted a lot of polls that just Christians could see. A few atheists changed their category to "Christian" just to troll those polls, but for the most part poll targeting tends to promote better discussion.

08/14/15 10:26 pm

That's good to know. I've not tried any targeted polls.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
08/15/15 1:47 am

Oh good. I'm glad to hear that, Milk. I'm not religious, but I don't like the way some people around here talk about Christians, in particular. They seem to get the most flack. If you can get away from that counter productive talk, that's awesome.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
08/14/15 8:37 pm

Lots of people historically have done quite well despite suffering this "mental illness". A couple of examples might be those guys who told us how the universe works, i.e., Newton and Einstein.

LeftLibertarian The Age of Outrage
08/14/15 8:30 pm

No don't worry, faith is not a disease.

jayblake22
08/14/15 8:20 pm

Ignore the trolls. They walk the party line and call everyone else intolerant. They're a pretty stupid bunch.

Jade73 I Love Animals
08/14/15 8:19 pm

Your not mental and your not weak. Stay strong.

RadicalJack Anarcho Syndicalist
08/14/15 8:15 pm

Do you converse with him? Cuz then yes, could be psychotic.

Mattwall1
08/14/15 8:14 pm

God damnit, some people don't understand what a mental disorder is. No, belief in a deity (or multiple deities) is not, I repeat, NOT a mental disorder. Neither is a lack of belief, or being unable to say either way. I am sorry someone said this to

Mattwall1
08/14/15 8:14 pm

You. We might not agree about religious belief, but that doesn't excuse someone being pathetic and stupid like this

ZaQ777 Pittsburgh
08/14/15 7:51 pm

It's obviously not a mental illness, but I do consider people with a strong belief in god to be weak minded.

wayde22 Illinois
08/15/15 12:18 am

What do you mean by that specifically?

08/14/15 7:43 pm

Matt, I'm really sorry that your poll seems to have degenerated into some religion bashing, some atheist bashing, and some LGBT bashing as well.

08/14/15 7:45 pm

And now that the user you alluded to has been named, it's likely to degenerate into user bashing as well (actually I see there was a little of the previously, although without a name). I really wish this kind of question were asked without

08/14/15 7:46 pm

any reference to another user or poll (even anonymously) at all.

08/14/15 8:50 pm

(Person calling me a troll has me on ignore (I'm using the web right now, so I can see the comment), because I gave him a hard time for... wait for it... trollish behavior. Too funny.)

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
08/14/15 10:47 pm

That's funny. Sorry, Susan that you have to deal with that. Lame.

08/15/15 7:32 am

Susan has taken to harassing me in my polls and harassing my other followers

Then she lies and claims she's innocent

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
08/15/15 9:17 am

"Logic," I know Susan and I know that what you're saying is false. Your idea of harassment is anyone who does fall over at your pseudo intellectual nonsense. You wonder around making asinine comments and get butt hurt when smacked. Get a life.

08/15/15 9:19 am

Nope, that idiot went apeshit and started brigading polls. She deserved being called out.

08/15/15 9:30 am

Wow. That's simply not correct. All the evidence of what I did is in 2 of his polls; polls that called out other users negatively. I did make a big pest of myself in one of them, because of what was being said about the user who was being maligned.

08/15/15 9:32 am

I wasn't "harassing" anyone else. I was accused of lying in that poll, when I wasn't. And now I'm being misrepresented in this one.

Please, just stop with this crap.

08/15/15 9:35 am

Susan is a liar. She harasses other users when she gets butthurt then lies about it

Gonna keep calling you out until the end of time, pos liar

08/15/15 9:37 am

You can call me a liar all you want; the polls in question are still available. A couple of the nastiest comments may have been removed, but the essence of what you're claiming is still there. Along with your accusations of the user who was the butt

08/15/15 9:40 am

of that poll, that he was "ashamed of what he wrote when he was drunk" - totally baseless, since the thing you quoted was a MISquote of what he wrote.

Anyone who thinks I'm a liar can read through all that.

08/15/15 9:48 am

More lies. She started harassing me and others in all my recent polls. Even when others asked her nicely to stop she kept harassing

Susan is a cancer

08/15/15 10:21 am

Again, totally baseless. I "harassed" no one else; no one "nicely asked [me] to stop," at least not that I can find or remember, reviewing both polls. Which anyone else can read, so I have no clue why you're doing this.

spitfirejmw Alabama
08/14/15 7:43 pm

Would never use it to insult people but I do think religious beliefs are delusions

RepublicanObama Tampa, FL
08/14/15 7:33 pm

Not trying to name any names about what arrogant user made that remark but cough *sailingaround* cough

08/14/15 6:46 pm

Not any more than being gay is a mental disorder.
I guess extremists on either side will call each other out as having disorders. I'll add this to the list of reasons I don't like extremists.

08/14/15 6:59 pm

Being gay is a sexual disorder at least, by definition

SJWs can't comprehend how anything could be unPC though. And I'm 100% pro gay rights

08/14/15 7:01 pm

Are you calling me a social justice warrior?

08/14/15 7:03 pm

And what exactly makes being gay a sexual disorder? Alternative methods of sexual interaction which are also practiced by plenty of heterosexual couples?

08/14/15 7:05 pm

Only if you find it offensive to use correct English to describe conditions

08/14/15 7:06 pm

Because the purpose of humans is to make more humans. If you don't have the desire to do that you have some kind of disorder, again, BY DEFINITION

08/14/15 7:09 pm

I don't disagree, but by that logic, then you could claim anyone having anal or oral sex or handjobs is also suffering from a sexual disorder.

08/14/15 7:11 pm

Only if they never had a desire for vaginal

Think Lovin Life
08/14/15 7:11 pm

Homosexuality is a deviant sexual disorder.

08/14/15 7:11 pm

That's like saying anyone who talks to themselves, even once when shopping for groceries, is a schizophrenic

08/14/15 7:14 pm

Well, some people don't have any desire to produce offspring at all regardless of their orientation. Those people might still have tons of sex, but they're not doing it for its intended purpose, therefore they have a disorder. Right?

08/14/15 7:14 pm

And I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just disagreeing with the way you backed it up.

Brandon1995 San Francisco
08/14/15 7:16 pm

Homosexuality is natural and real, unlike God.

08/14/15 7:18 pm

Corny, if you don't have the desire to procreate, yes you have some kind of disorder

Don't get hung up on the PC stuff. I love gay people

08/14/15 7:18 pm

My original point was, we're never all going to see eye-to-eye, but we should all be able to disagree with one another in a respectful way instead of labeling each other as being crazy.

08/14/15 7:21 pm

As a 21 year-old woman with a gay man for a best friend (he does my hair and he's a great drinking buddy), I think gay people are a gift from God and that's all that matters :)

Brandon1995 San Francisco
08/14/15 7:25 pm

If you don't have a desire to reproduce, you have a disorder? Wtf? Having sex for pleasure is a disorder?

Brandon1995 San Francisco
08/14/15 7:25 pm

If you use condoms and birth control, you have a disorder?

08/14/15 7:28 pm

Brandon, no

Read what I wrote. I have the feeling you get it but are being purposefully obtuse. Next you're gonna post 'so if I kiss someone but don't have sex with them I have a disorder! Whatgarbl!!'

08/14/15 7:30 pm

Well no, I can see where he's coming from. Condoms and birth control don't occur in nature.

08/14/15 7:33 pm

Actually I just confused myself even more. I'm gonna go pour myself another glass of pinot now ~_~

08/14/15 7:34 pm

Sigh. It's not about condoms. It's about your ultimate desire. If you never in your life have the desire to have vaginal sex with the opposite sex for the purpose of having kids then you have some kind of disorder, medically speaking

08/14/15 7:35 pm

And that's fine!

Think Lovin Life
08/14/15 7:38 pm

Brandon ... homosexuality is deviant behavior, like unto loving a goat.

08/14/15 7:41 pm

You really want to enter this discussion, Think? You don't have the greatest of track records when it comes to arguing about homosexuality.

Think Lovin Life
08/14/15 7:44 pm

Corny ... ha ha ... and you're the ultimate judge of that? Please!

Think Lovin Life
08/14/15 7:47 pm

Corny ... my position is consistent with history, science and religion. Homosexuality is a destructive deviant behavior that is a cancer on any society that tolerates it.

Like arson or beastiality, homosexual urges should be treated as a disorder.

08/14/15 7:47 pm

I'd say I have a fairly good grasp on it after that time you tried to convince me that gay activists threaten Christian businesses, then linked me to an article on a bakery that received a death threat for refusing to bake a cake bearing

08/14/15 7:47 pm

an ANTI-gay message. Maybe next time you could try reading content before you use it in an argument.

08/14/15 7:48 pm

You're such a character!

08/14/15 7:50 pm

"Homosexuality is a destructive deviant behavior that is a cancer on any society that tolerates it."

How is it destructive? Gay people tend to improve property values. Can't say that about all groups...

Think Lovin Life
08/14/15 7:50 pm

Corny ... my position remains unchanged, and supported by science, history and religion.

Deflect if you must, facts are not kind to homosexuality.

08/14/15 7:51 pm

You're the one who's deflecting, Think.

Think Lovin Life
08/14/15 7:51 pm

Logic ... lasciviousness has been the downfall of more than just Rome.

08/15/15 9:49 am

Think, gay sex didn't bring down Rome. Why do you think that?

Teakeh A Happy Nihilist
08/14/15 6:43 pm

I think you can believe absolutely insane concepts without being insane.

I for instance think it's possible there are other "laws" and logic in different "existences," and therefore the "what made the universe" question could be irrelevant.

14573 Scary Numbers
08/14/15 6:53 pm

Ok so you lost me a bit there. Are you saying that different regions of space may have different laws of physics? Genuinely curious please clarify.

Teakeh A Happy Nihilist
08/15/15 3:05 pm

Not different regions of space per se, but rather different universes, or existences that is outside the universe. Like a universe could exist that doesn't require sequences of events, so something could be created by itself, or "out of order."

Teakeh A Happy Nihilist
08/15/15 3:06 pm

This doesn't make sense of course, but I figure my logic is formed in the likes of how this universe works, and maybe another entity in another universe would have logic that conforms to that existence.

Very theoretical of course lol

14573 Scary Numbers
08/15/15 3:08 pm

Ok so is it like your saying that there may be universes that operate under different principles that can't exactly be explained because they don't fit our understanding since we have only known the principles of our universe?

Teakeh A Happy Nihilist
08/15/15 10:13 pm

Basically yeah.

I don't think God can be proven or disproven unfortunately. We have no idea about the "outside" of the universe, so we can't really infer about how "it" works. All we have is our universe, which might not apply to other existences.

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/14/15 6:42 pm

Jesus. What an asshole thing to say. No, belief in a god isn't evidence of mental illness.

08/14/15 7:09 pm

😂😂😂 Thank you so much for this hysterically ironic defense of spiritual faith! 👏👏👏❤️❤️❤️👏👏👏

Think Lovin Life
08/14/15 7:12 pm

Beth ... it is ironic that you would invoke the Saviors name in your ridiculous position.

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/14/15 7:20 pm

Irony was intentional. Glad you found it amusing :)

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/14/15 7:21 pm

And think, you think it's ridiculous to call someone an asshole for taking this position? I guess we differ.

08/14/15 7:44 pm

I found it hysterically funny!!!

Think Lovin Life
08/15/15 7:57 am

Beth ... I think your dependence on using the Savior's name in vein and your inability to expression yourself without using crude terms is consistent with you previous posts.

There nothing funny about your Clintonian responses!

MrMilkdud
08/14/15 6:21 pm

No. Of course not.
Good question, btw. Really helps to weed out the good atheists from the bad.

14573 Scary Numbers
08/14/15 6:16 pm

I was on that poll. If it's any consolation my post stating that such derogatory questions were demeaning to both sides. It gained considerable support. I think there are a loud group that over represent atheists and theists alike.

14573 Scary Numbers
08/14/15 6:38 pm

Does misrepresentation in groups that result in an over generalization of each group as only consistent of the traits of their loudest (who usually are some of the worst) members matter? Yeah a little.

08/14/15 6:39 pm

It's an Internet comment. I feel like businesses will still be open tomorrow

14573 Scary Numbers
08/14/15 6:40 pm

What is your point here? That I had a point and because it won't cause radical change it was null?

14573 Scary Numbers
08/14/15 6:52 pm

No but I do know bait when I see it. I have better things to do. Goodbye.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
08/14/15 6:08 pm

As legitimate as a transgender person having a mental disorder, which is to say not at all. And yes I know, "DSM says", well DSM used to say homosexuality was. I'm sure there's a long list somewhere of what used to be considered a mental disorder.

Nik
08/14/15 6:02 pm

I am not religious at all, that said I would never disrespect you or any other people that hold religion dear.
Put the loser on ignore!

08/14/15 6:47 pm

I considered it and then I was like "nah, there's so much fun to be had in this new lIttle world I've found!"

BetweenRivers
08/14/15 6:02 pm

From a psychological standpoint, its simply a high amount of religiosity combined with factors like how you were raised. Of course, not necessarily meaning your parents believed in God-your congition also contributes.

BetweenRivers
08/14/15 6:03 pm

So, no. Believing in God is not, I repeat NOT, a mental disorder. Religiosity can go both for religion and lack of religion and even sports teams, so if thats a mental disorder, many thousands of people have one.

floridalax
08/14/15 5:51 pm

If believing in God is a mental disorder, there is a lot of other things that are also mental disorders.

08/14/15 5:53 pm

*takes a bow* Well thank you!

08/14/15 6:13 pm

Reminds me of John 15
"18 "If the world hates you, be aware that it hated me first."
"20 Remember what I told you, 'A slave is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you."

08/14/15 6:16 pm

"21 But they will do all these things to you on account of my name, because they do not know the one who sent me."

I never view it as a personal attack when someone attacks my faith. The attack is directed @ my Redeemer. He can take care of Himself.

Brandon1995 San Francisco
08/14/15 5:50 pm

No, but it is a state of delusion. No offense to religious people.

08/14/15 5:52 pm

Please explain how that should *not* be taken as an offense? Just out of curiosity.

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
08/14/15 5:53 pm

I forgot who said it the other day, but they were correct. You're the cowboy of the left.

Brandon1995 San Francisco
08/14/15 5:54 pm

My intent was not to insult anyone.

08/14/15 5:55 pm

As a former atheist, I can understand that view point. However, is it enough to be considered a mental disorder? Especially considering that the vast, vast majority of believers are smart and well functioning members of society. And if it is...

08/14/15 5:57 pm

...a mental disorder as it stands, then why shouldn't transgenderism be consider a mental disorder of similar, if not greater, magnitude? It's a fair question and assessment and one I would challenge anyone with if they believe belief in God is a...

08/14/15 5:57 pm

... mental disorder.

08/14/15 5:58 pm

I accept that it wasn't *intended* as an offense nor am I offended. I'm simply *curious* how a patently offensive comment can be followed by "no offense" which completely contradicts the comment which it follows. I'm fascinated by the contradiction.

Brandon1995 San Francisco
08/14/15 6:19 pm

I'm not sure how I could've worded my comment without it sounding offensive. That's why I said "no offense". I have nothing against religious people, but I feel like their beliefs are based on an illusion.

08/14/15 6:36 pm

So, basically, it is your intellectual assessment that something that cannot be seen or proven empirically to exist is, by definition, delusional? And that assessment has no emotional intensity attached, just an intellectual observation?

08/14/15 6:38 pm

Okay. I get that & can see where it would be difficult to find a way to state that in a way that wouldn't sound offensive.

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/14/15 6:45 pm

Brandon, you also can't prove that your physical body exists, because you can't prove that the entirety of the universe isn't a delusion. You intentionally said a patently offensive thing. Trying to shrug it off by saying "no offense" is about as

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/14/15 6:46 pm

meaningful as someone refusing to understand why using "gay" as an insult is inherently offensive.

08/14/15 6:56 pm

"using "gay" as an insult is inherently offensive."

This opinion is inherently offensive to me

08/14/15 6:56 pm

I should probably add that I experientially disagree & have been tested by a number of psychological professionals, over a 15 year span of time - relative to complex PTSD, attachment disorder, clinical depression & related issues.

08/14/15 6:57 pm

At no time did any of my severe emotional/psychological issues meet any criteria for delusion. In point of fact, assessment repeatedly demonstrated that...

Brandon1995 San Francisco
08/14/15 6:57 pm

I didn't intentionally mean to offend others. I've already made that clear, bethany. Okay?

08/14/15 6:57 pm

...I was of a superior intellect & inexplicable sane, rational & of profound integrity psychologically given the degree of abuse/trauma/neglect to which I'd been subjected from birth.

08/14/15 6:58 pm

A faith in a Supreme Being - whom I could not name for many years but was profoundly aware from earliest memory -

08/14/15 6:58 pm

is credited, by those same professionals, not only with my survival but with the fact I survived in such a remarkably state of mental health despite the issues with which I presented. Becuz they could explain it no other way.

08/14/15 6:59 pm

But you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

08/14/15 7:03 pm

I again want to *emphasize* - primarily for the benefit of others reading our exchange - that I personally am not, was not, offended by your initial statement, simply confused.

08/14/15 7:03 pm

I didn't get the sense that you *did* mean any offense & accept your explanation as completely rational given your clarification.

08/14/15 7:08 pm

*pulls down pants and bends over*

POALOgiiize...

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/14/15 7:24 pm

Just for the record, I'm not "offended" on anyone's behalf or "accusing" anyone of being offended (as though that's an accusation anyway). I'm pointing out that it's disingenuous to say something patently offenSIVE and disclaim responsibility for its

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/14/15 7:25 pm

patent offenSIVEness (apart and aside from anyone's particular feelings in response) because of your own subjective intent. The intent isn't what determines the quality of the content.

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
08/14/15 7:37 pm

I have to ask, why did you emphasize the last syllable of "offensive" like that?

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/15/15 12:36 am

To distinguish the character of being offensive (offensiveness) from the state of being offended.

chickencookie It really is
08/14/15 5:45 pm

Matt I know the user you speak of. I have him blocked because he has said only stupid comments to me and I didn't want to hear it anymore.
Loser.

theW0lf Leader of the Pack
08/14/15 5:35 pm

Absolutely not, God is legitimate. Those people just hate truth, your brain is just fine

AmericanWolf For the Benefit of All
08/14/15 5:31 pm

I am not religious. Never really have been. But I understand the important of faith in our society quite well and am a strong advocate for greater freedom of belief. Religion is a great thing and I feel sorry for whomever was so blind as to say that.

knetzere Illinois
08/14/15 5:26 pm

I didn't even bother with that poll just shook my head voted no and moved on

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
08/14/15 5:23 pm

Of course not, just as liberalism isn't a mental illness - though many would say otherwise.

Just smile, nod and move on. You won't convince the troglodites that they are mistaken.

drself Gated Community
08/14/15 5:22 pm

Don't take it personal. Our battles are spiritual. Of course Christians will be attacked by non-Christians.

08/14/15 5:37 pm

I thought it was entertaining, if nothing else. I poked at the fire gently a little here and there to get a couple sparks to fly out and then I moved on. Didn't have time for that!

PyroSadist like my comments follow
08/14/15 5:19 pm

Only if they say they hear god talking to them

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
08/14/15 5:29 pm

I'll ask him about you.

08/14/15 5:38 pm

Doopy said evil spirits talk to him

PyroSadist like my comments follow
08/14/15 5:38 pm

Well since I doubt his existence I doubt he will reply. If he does however he won't say many nice things about me.

08/14/15 5:41 pm

Unless you eat shellfish. Then fuck you

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
08/14/15 5:44 pm

Ok, never mind. I won't mention logicman.
Really, I never knew you.

PyroSadist like my comments follow
08/14/15 5:46 pm

I love shellfish, had crabs for my birthday last week and we'll be having some shrimp tonight

08/14/15 6:04 pm

See what I mean? I even mention shellfish and I'm banned from prayers 😆

Reeze The TARDIS
08/14/15 5:18 pm

I saw that. What a horrible thing to say on so many levels.

political Georgia
08/14/15 5:21 pm

I want to know, but we all know that I'm the idiot that punches harder if you punch me.

political Georgia
08/14/15 5:28 pm

You might not always agree with me, but at least people know that have principles.

mc88 Cleveland OSU
08/14/15 5:29 pm

I'm all for punch this guy 👊🏻

mc88 Cleveland OSU
08/14/15 5:29 pm

Punching*

08/14/15 5:38 pm

Main poll about nature.

MrMilkdud
08/14/15 6:31 pm

I saw it, too. I stopped wasting time on that user a while ago. Very intolerant, and not just about religious issues.
Best to just move on.

08/14/15 6:41 pm

I hadn't had much experience with that user, but now I find myself with this desire to throw some dynamite on that fire just for the fun of it.

MrMilkdud
08/14/15 6:45 pm

Been there, done that.

MrMilkdud
08/14/15 7:24 pm

That's who!

mc88 Cleveland OSU
08/14/15 5:17 pm

The people who say shit like that are what's wrong with humanity

twss trump is a garbage human
08/14/15 5:16 pm

I'm so damn TIRED of the intolerance and name-calling around here (though I guess this was more of an outright insult against Matt). How about we let others hold their beliefs and STFU about it?

Sorry...rant over.

08/14/15 6:19 pm

Hurrah!!! 👏👏👏❤️❤️❤️👏👏👏

commonsense America isnt racist
08/14/15 6:26 pm

Questioning everything is the SOH way. But yes we should be respectful and not name call.

Mattwall1
08/14/15 8:17 pm

This is one of those times SOH needs a "3,000 x like" button

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
08/14/15 8:47 pm

If those beliefs didn't negatively impact the lives of others then I'd agree, but they don't so I won't.

twss trump is a garbage human
08/14/15 8:51 pm

MY beliefs don't negatively impact the lives of others. You probably don't know what those beliefs are, though. Still, your argument is invalid. I kinda hate to tell you this because you're cute and I like your spirit, thatguy, but fuck off.

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
08/14/15 8:56 pm

Whoa, calm down. It wasn't directed at you. I have idea what you do or don't believe. By "those beliefs" I meant any beliefs which do negatively impact others, which religious beliefs so often do.

Mattwall1
08/14/15 8:57 pm

Thatguy-yes, religious beliefs have been used to negatively impact others lives. You can say the same about almost all (if not all) political ideologies ever, and probably throw economic theories in there too. That doesn't make liberalism or

Mattwall1
08/14/15 8:59 pm

Conservatism mental disorders or mercantilists or monarchists inherently mentally ill due to their positions

twss trump is a garbage human
08/14/15 9:00 pm

I'll take this opportunity to recant my previous last words and apologize. That was uncalled for.

I agree that religious views CAN be harmful, but that's an exception, not the rule. At least not in the U.S. and certainly not on this app.

twss trump is a garbage human
08/14/15 9:05 pm

Maybe that's the difference between how we react to others on the app: I see others' views as an extension of the person. Unmoveable, unchangeable...mostly. I don't waste my time (well, not usually) getting offended by that. Holding a certain view...

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
08/14/15 9:05 pm

Matt - of course. I didn't intend to justify the labeling of beliefs as mental disorders. I was responding to the idea that we should never comment on/dispute others' beliefs, which I don't agree with

twss trump is a garbage human
08/14/15 9:06 pm

...isn't going to make me think someone is unintelligent or mentally ill. And I REALLY wish more people felt that way. Live and let live. It's an app. It's not here to make life harder. This is supposed to be fun, right?

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
08/14/15 9:09 pm

Twss - thanks. Apology accepted. I could've been clearer. I think constructive conversations can occasionally change minds, and I find debates fun, but I hear you.

twss trump is a garbage human
08/14/15 9:09 pm

And I think maybe I wasn't clear: commenting and discussing others' beliefs with them is fine, encouraged, fantastic and fun, even. Insulting others over their beliefs = dick move. In my opinion.

twss trump is a garbage human
08/14/15 9:15 pm

I can be a bit sensitive on this subject: I'm a Christian, though not a very vocal or devout one. I tend to let things such as what MachoMatt said happened to him, to hurt my feelings by extension. Not very logical, but that's the nature of emotion.

08/14/15 9:51 pm

There are just some people on here that you have to take with a grain of salt.

I'm not one to drop names, although several specific users are coming to mind at this moment, half of which are all over this poll's comments.

political Georgia
08/14/15 5:14 pm

Nope, but believing you are a man when you are really a woman is.

political Georgia
08/14/15 5:30 pm

I'm not laughing at their disorder. I hope they receive help. It amazes me that people embrace disorder though. It's worrisome. I had a leg and speech problem when I was younger. I'm glad that my parents didn't embrace my disorder.

08/14/15 9:54 pm

Leg and speech problems impair your ability to live a normal life. Being transgender doesn't. Or, at least, it wouldn't if you little twats would shut up and mind your own business.

political Georgia
08/14/15 9:58 pm

I'm just going by science. It is classified as a disorder.

08/14/15 10:00 pm

A disorder for which there is no cure.

08/14/15 10:01 pm

A disorder with which one would be able to live peacefully, if - I reiterate - everyone would just shut up and mind their own business.

08/14/15 10:03 pm

Cancer will kill you if you don't treat it. That's the lamest argument I've heard thus far.

08/14/15 10:24 pm

Again, disorders that make everyday life hard. There's an actual reason that a person with any of those disorders would seek out treatment. Having someone else tell you it's not normal isn't a reason.

08/14/15 10:38 pm

That's exactly what I'm saying. Good job, detective.

08/14/15 10:43 pm

Look at that sophisticated language. And I have no intention to go into the medical profession. Maybe you should, though, since you're so sure you can help people who are afflicted with the transgender disease.

ThomasJefferson Republic of Texas
08/14/15 6:21 pm

...I would say " too deep a subject to get into right now". But if you don't wish to talk about the subject further then I won't continue

commonsense America isnt racist
08/14/15 6:24 pm

I do that all the time!

ThomasJefferson Republic of Texas
08/14/15 6:26 pm

Yeah the app needs to make creating comments and finding comments easier, especially a poll app

08/14/15 5:07 pm

{sigh} No. I think I saw a whole poll about this recently. Honestly, do folks who think this also believe that the majority of humankind has been mentally ill for most of our history?

I find the idea that a god exists to be implausible, but I

08/14/15 5:08 pm

would never characterize those who do as having a mental disorder. That's just, well, kinda nuts.

08/14/15 6:12 pm

Seems kind of self explanatory to me, and I'd really rather not get into it further here, because I have no intention of turning this into a poll about the existence of God. That never ends well anyway.

ThomasJefferson Republic of Texas
08/14/15 6:20 pm

I can understand you not wanting to get into a debate about this, I don't know why people get so touchy over this, but I feel that the subject of theology and philosophy are very intriguing and intuitive so I wouldn't say it's "self explanatory"....

ThomasJefferson Republic of Texas
08/14/15 6:22 pm

08/14/15 6:23 pm

Agree, Susan. We will never resolve the G-d/no G-d debate in sets of 120 characters or less. I *appreciate* this attitude & the courtesy of those who don't believe passing on the opportunity to demean those who do.

08/14/15 6:34 pm

I think a "civilized" discussion of why people believe or don't believe in a god could be interesting, and probably helpful in some ways, but the potential for deterioration is huge, & also honestly it's not a subject that I dwell on much.

08/14/15 5:06 pm

If someone literally believed in Zeus, would you say they were mentally competent?

Reeze The TARDIS
08/14/15 5:20 pm

Yeah. They just have a different belief than I do.

Carolynn new jersey
08/14/15 5:04 pm

Absolutely not.

Rainey 633 Stag Trail Road
08/14/15 5:01 pm

I don't believe in a god, but I'd never put someone down because they do. That's ridiculous and unnecessary. I wish people could just learn to be kind to each other, no matter what our differences may be

08/14/15 6:24 pm

👏👏👏❤️❤️❤️👏👏👏

orgblu10 Shamerica
08/14/15 4:58 pm

Macho, that whole thread was disgusting. I guess it just goes with the territory these days. Remember, like the Bible says, "Satan is the god of this world," and sometimes his hatred and desperation surfaces through people. Good job all around!

mc88 Cleveland OSU
08/14/15 5:18 pm

Where is it?

orgblu10 Shamerica
08/14/15 5:22 pm

2 Corinthians 4:4

mc88 Cleveland OSU
08/14/15 5:24 pm

No I meant the thread lol

orgblu10 Shamerica
08/14/15 5:27 pm

Lol - I figured that out after I posted! I don't remember where I read it, but I'm sure Matt would remember.

08/14/15 5:36 pm

Main poll talking about spending time in nature. I reread it a few times and it just left me shaking my head in disbelief. I don't take any offense. I just see them as a lost ball in tall weeds

jvc1133 61535
08/14/15 4:58 pm

No, then there's been an epidemic. 😎

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
08/14/15 4:53 pm

Your going to go thru that the rest of your life, just say "bless your heart"( southern for kiss my ass).. And just go about your business.. Later at home you can add them to your prayers!

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
08/14/15 5:07 pm

I HATE that!!! Yes, there are some (too many, IMHO) who misuse "Bless Your Heart", but for many of us, including myself, it is a legitimate expression of concern, sadness, sympathy or the like.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
08/14/15 5:09 pm

Also, those who misuse tend to do so as a way of saying that someone is too dumb or crazy to comprehend something, not really the phrase that you mentioned.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
08/14/15 5:10 pm

Sorry, that is my pet peeve! 💜

08/14/15 5:33 pm

Bless your heart bamagirl 😉

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
08/14/15 5:39 pm

Well played, Matt! 😉

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
08/14/15 5:41 pm

It's the tone, with which you say it!.. Not just saying it... Sorry I did not mean to offend!

08/14/15 5:43 pm

Bless your heart mikey! Bamagirl won't say it to you, but I will! 👍

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
08/14/15 5:50 pm

I agree about the tone. I know you didn't mean to offend. I don't have many buttons, but the assumption that THAT phrase is always negative is one of them. I apologize for attacking you.

08/14/15 5:52 pm