Rosebud August 14th, 2015 12:27pm

Since having little girls, I've noticed a lot of sexism ingrained in our culture that surrounds kids from birth. Do you think this has a significant impact on kids as they grow up?

garrettr Alabama
08/18/15 11:25 pm

My daughters r always told they can't do so and so because they are a girl and I usually explain if they wish to play with "boy" items they may. Also applies to my younger sons the other way around. My eldest son was allowed to play with "girl" items

MaxineL New Jersey
08/14/15 4:34 pm

Girls are taught that they are not good at math and science

inge MIA
08/14/15 9:39 am

I never noticed until having a boy myself. It seemed to be okay that I was a tomboy, for the most part, playing with "boys" stuff...but when my son wants to do what mommy does, try nail polish or play with a doll, I instantly think of what others

inge MIA
08/14/15 9:41 am

Will say. I hate that I was groomed for that to be my first thought and not it's what my 5 year old wants, who the eff cares if it doesn't fit gender steryotypes.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
08/14/15 9:15 am

We try to raise our kids gender neutral. My boy still played with cars. They would turn sticks and everything into guns. They loved making car noises. My daughter preferred teddy bears. Although my middle son was a cuddle bunny too.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
08/14/15 9:15 am

My daughter was an overachiever. But she was the youngest.

aj1545 Cat Lady
08/14/15 8:57 am

Oh yes. Ive studied this a bit in my gender classes. Its fascinating.

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
08/14/15 8:19 am

It's the parents job, to help your children rise above these stereotypes, give them wings so they can fly over those barriers, but also give them roots so they have a firm base to launch from..

xSonofLibertyx
08/14/15 8:01 am

BREAKING NEWS: The male and female genders have been discovered to be different in both appearance and personality.

Libs love science until it isn't politically correct.

sojourner present
08/14/15 9:33 am

Your comment isn't on point or relevant. Take the examples given. Why should a girl be told it takes a man to prune a tree?

inge MIA
08/14/15 9:37 am

I think you missed the point.

PresWK Minnesota
08/14/15 7:54 am

The only sexism that really remains in our society is that spewed out at men by Tumblroid SJWs

ronderman North Carolina
08/14/15 6:49 am

You think we have sexism issues? Try going to the Middle East.

Mattwall1
08/14/15 7:03 am

I don't think anyone is saying it's worse here than it is there. The fact it's worse there really isn't a valid excuse

Rosebud Ohio
08/14/15 7:15 am

That someone else has a worse problem doesn't invalidate your own.
My husband broke his ankle in multiple places last year, severed multiple tendons and tore nearly through the Achilles. That it didn't fully tear his Achilles doesn't negate the fact

Rosebud Ohio
08/14/15 7:17 am

that he has a pretty serious permanent injury from it.
Btw- I have been, though not for long.

Mattwall1
08/14/15 7:18 am

Have been saying it's worse?

Rosebud Ohio
08/14/15 7:22 am

He said try going there was more my point.
Worst I experienced was a bunch of men oogling me (which really ticked off my dad, whom I was with btw). It likely wouldn't have been safe to not be walking with men and a local guide to be frank, but it

Rosebud Ohio
08/14/15 7:24 am

feel different in that way than walking in sketchier areas of many big cities here.
Yes there are separate gendered issues there, but the sexism is everywhere.

aj1545 Cat Lady
08/14/15 8:56 am

So because its worse somewhere else we should ignore it here? Sounds like a cop out.

leilu SoCal
08/14/15 6:14 am

It is everywhere! While I do draw gender lines with my kids (boy wears boy clothes, girl wears girl clothes), I make sure that each has an opportunity to do whatever that want. Others will have an impact, but not as much as mom and dad.

leilu SoCal
08/14/15 6:16 am

I might just follow up on comments they here. On the drive home I would bring up the tree trimming and make sure my kids knew that it was a tough job and it needs to be done carefully but anybody can do it (I wouldn't stress the'even girls can do it)

Rosebud Ohio
08/14/15 7:19 am

I brought it up right then, and when my grandpa repeated himself and grandma jokingly said I sounded like Aunt S (liberal, single, feminist in her 50's- bug family abnormality) I told her that I don't care if it's said, just not around my developing,

Rosebud Ohio
08/14/15 7:20 am

easily influenced and impressionable children. I believe they understood my point. They're normally pretty good about respecting my parenting.

sojourner present
08/14/15 5:32 am

I have a son and a daughter. I've noticed the difference since birth. For example people would comment on how smart or strong he was, but would only comment on how pretty she was (both are incredibly smart and good athletes).

sojourner present
08/14/15 5:35 am

In high school sports I often hear the female teams referred to as the girls team while in the same conversation the male team is the men's team. (Not always but enough that I've noticed).

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
08/14/15 7:36 am

I've noticed the same things and mine are 4 and 11.

Rosebud Ohio
08/14/15 5:30 am

Some examples:
Yesterday my grandpa was pruning trees. Older daughter (OD) asked if it was hard to do. He replied that it takes a big, strong man to do it (rather than big, strong person).
Girls are told not to get their pretty dresses dirty, when

Rosebud Ohio
08/14/15 5:33 am

boys don't get the same message when they're curious about messy outdoor things.
My great aunt told OD that she can change their mind as much as she wants, bc that's what girls do.
OD has some "boy" clothes she loves. Not sure from where, but she got

Rosebud Ohio
08/14/15 5:35 am

the idea they're boy only clothes and she can't wear them.
People comment much more on my girls looks then their abilities.
Younger daughter (YD) has pretty short hair and loves it. We've been told to just let her grow her hair out bc she is a girl.

Rosebud Ohio
08/14/15 5:36 am

We have a son on the way, and my husband gets a lot of comments about he must be so excited to have a kid on the way who he can hunt, fish, and build with (which in and of itself assumes he does that himself).

Christian1459 Cookin Trouble
08/14/15 6:50 am

I agree. Where you grow up, the environment; this is why I believe nurture effects and creates personality a greater amount than nature does.

Maj Worth Economist
08/14/15 9:27 am

Interestingly enough, I've noticed this because I have a boy. He doesn't like getting dirty. He doesn't like loud noises. He wants long hair. He likes pink. He likes jewelry. He takes cooking classes.

Maj Worth Economist
08/14/15 9:29 am

It really makes you wonder who came up with these unspoken rules? What sort of sense do they make? Girl babies aren't more physically fragile than boy babies. Why do we treat them as if they were? How can we buy into this shit?!