Gunfighter06 August 14th, 2015 12:05pm

Proposal: All able-bodied people must serve in the military or an alternative service organization (i.e. Peace Corps) for a minimum of two years before they are eligible to vote or hold public office.

Nik
08/16/15 3:56 pm

So this would eliminate the disabled and from the comments below (the need to own land) the poor...
Let's throw in that you must have at least a BA degree.

That would be messed up!

LibertyLover Pokemon 201461036800
08/16/15 12:45 pm

Only if you count religious service. I learned more from my two years as a Mormon missionary than from my six years in the army.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
08/16/15 12:41 pm

So, this basically means you have to earn the right to vote or hold public office, kind of like passing a driving test & exam before you can get a driver's license. I absolutely see the benefit in it. It would certainly result in a much more

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
08/16/15 12:41 pm

life-educated population with far less whiny, entitled people. I suspect it would result in better politicians & more cognizant voters too. But, I don't know. It doesn't force it on people, but does come close, so I'm on the fence.

ThatsSoReagan
08/15/15 4:27 pm

I mean it's a good idea, and other countries do similar things. but eh

evan2048 Michigan
08/14/15 5:11 pm

The people who vote yes to this are the worst kind of people

Seriously how fucking stupid and terrible are people

evan2048 Michigan
08/14/15 5:10 pm

The people who vote test to this are the worst kind of people

Seriously how fucking stupid and terrible are people

ezh2o Texas Hill Country
08/14/15 5:40 am

I would agree with your proposal and would add that a requirement of land ownership to qualify to have the right to vote . . .

iPolitix Political Party Animal
08/14/15 7:40 am

Well, that would certainly cut down on illegal aliens & dead people voting. Would there be a minimum amount, say for instance 50 acres of land? I can see Democrats selling like 1-inch square plots to molest that requirement.

ezh2o Texas Hill Country
08/14/15 7:52 am

Large enough to have a dwelling on it.

iPolitix Political Party Animal
08/14/15 7:56 am

Again, we would have to define "dwelling". Those Dems are wily SOBs.

iPolitix Political Party Animal
08/14/15 5:37 am

If you're not willing to serve your country, you're unfit to lead your country.

DocLove
08/14/15 12:42 pm

What if you're a community organizer?

iPolitix Political Party Animal
08/15/15 4:36 pm

Gawd! A communist!?!? That's even worse!

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
08/14/15 5:06 am

To my followers: I think one huge problem with our political system is that we have people who have never served who are now making laws and policies, with no experience or perspective to back it up.

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
08/14/15 5:08 am

I am opposed to the draft because I believe it violates the 13th Amendment (involuntary servitude). This proposal would keep service voluntary while driving down the number of uninformed and low-information voters.

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
08/14/15 5:09 am

People who have never served in uniform (or alternatively, helped the needy) should not be allowed to send other people to war.