Cole12 August 13th, 2015 9:50pm

In general, would people with Downs syndrome be better off if they had never been born? (I'm not asking if you think fetuses with Down syndrome should be aborted.)

08/16/15 4:35 pm

K--,1. No one on TTY his app can challenge my belief system with a random question or comment.
2. I took the idea that he posed causing me to question the belief system of the rest of the world and the sad direction it is going.

nnifer Alpha Quadrant
08/14/15 1:28 pm

Food for thought: in New York, the state pays an average of $1.2 million per year for each adult who is developmentally disabled. This is for habilitation services and healthcare. Plus they receive SSD and food stamps.

nnifer Alpha Quadrant
08/14/15 1:29 pm

I know I'm not answering the poll question. I just thought I would add more information

DuckAndCower
08/15/15 2:05 am

That doesn't sound like it could possibly be correct. Where does that much money go?

nnifer Alpha Quadrant
08/15/15 4:34 am

Most people with dev dis also have extreme health issues. Expl Down syndrome have many obstructed bowel issues and ear nose throat issues. They also get very early onset for Alzheimer's. Most downs babies have older parents too. Therefore, they can't

nnifer Alpha Quadrant
08/15/15 4:36 am

care for the children so they end up in a residential placement. All of these services are very expensive

nnifer Alpha Quadrant
08/15/15 4:39 am

About 10% of families stay very involved with the adult children. Most lose interest and only visit on Christmas and maybe on birthdays. The state ends up holding the bag.

Brandon2018 Stocks Are Overvalued
08/13/15 11:41 pm

Everyone deserves a chance at life.

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
08/13/15 8:57 pm

There are some disabilities that I might say "yes" to for this question. Downs is not one of them.

08/14/15 10:58 am

What are the ones you would say yes to?

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
08/14/15 11:08 am

Things like Tay-Sachs, Niemann-Pick, etc. Anything that essentially guarantees the child a short, pain-filled life.

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
08/14/15 11:12 am

My mother is a care-at-home case manager, a healthcare worker for families with terminally ill children or children born with severe congenital disorders. I grew up with many such children in my life. Most of them had pleasant enough experiences of

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
08/14/15 11:14 am

life. But for some of them, existence was nothing but agony. As hard as it was to see, I can't imagine how hard it would be to live it.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
08/13/15 7:15 pm

I met a young man yesterday that was 8 years out of high school & living a great life.

He would vote for his life.
I would vote with him.

catpillow Florida West Coast
08/13/15 7:13 pm

I spent a semester giving eye exams to retarded people. I was a bit afraid when I started, but I found the Downs Syndrome people to be absolutely delightful, friendly, forgiving, obedient, with a childlike joy for life.

knetzere Illinois
08/13/15 6:18 pm

They clearly have joy in their life and bring joy to others what else can you ask for

Sentinel Ya ie wa noh
08/13/15 5:39 pm

Just one smile from a child......should answer your question. .......

08/13/15 4:44 pm

It bothers me that this question when comes to someone mind. Either you are sick, having a bad day with a survival needs person or totally uneducated. Um willing to give you reasonable doubt, one time, that's it's a bad day

Cole12 ...
08/13/15 4:53 pm

I'm not sick. I'm having a pretty good day. I'm not uneducated. I simply like asking controversial questions that make people reconsider their most deeply held beliefs.

alek12 Orlando
08/14/15 12:57 am

I've seen Cole around this app a lot and follow him. I don't think he's sick. He asks questions no one else does and is willing to talk and debate about things that no one says out loud. I like it and appreciate that he does it.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
08/14/15 7:11 am

He's obviously not sick and this is obviously a great question.

08/14/15 8:25 am

My question is why is it just ppl with Downs? Basically the question is asking if special needs ppl are worth the air they breathe? Why not ask about ppl with depression, bipolar, autism, FAS.....

alek12 Orlando
08/14/15 9:24 am

He didn't ask it that way at all. He doesn't have some malicious intent. He's genuinely curious what people think.

08/14/15 10:57 am

So why single out Downs? Why not simply ask if ppl with special needs should be living.

alek12 Orlando
08/14/15 11:29 am

Because there are different cases and he was curious about this one. Idk why you're so upset about it.

08/14/15 2:03 pm

I relate it to a very Nazi style of thinking. Those 'less perfect' should b allowed to live. Why would anyone think that BC of a disorder or disease they don't deserve life.

alek12 Orlando
08/14/15 2:05 pm

It's just a question. I doubt he's approaching it that way. If he thinks that, it's his opinion. You'd have to ask him. I wouldn't want to have a child like that but if others do, more power to them.

08/14/15 2:37 pm

Well, he is not commenting on this poll any more.

And I hope you don't have a child or grandchild who is anything other than perfect.
My son with autism makes our life what it is today. I would not trade him for Amy 'normal' kid

alek12 Orlando
08/14/15 2:39 pm

I'm actually not going to have children.

alek12 Orlando
08/14/15 4:06 pm

I don't really have the desire or interest to have any.

Posco BBQ Enthusiast
08/15/15 9:09 pm

The question isn't asking if we should kill those who are born with Downs Syndrome, only if it'd be better if they didn't have to experience life with Downs. Even though I don't think they'd be better off not being born, it did make me think about

Posco BBQ Enthusiast
08/15/15 9:12 pm

what level actually makes life worth living. Just imagine all of the newborns who die within minutes of being born. Those are (lives?) that would have been better not existing.

08/15/15 9:15 pm

A couple minutes is long enough of that's what is planned. As those religious folks say, God has a plan. Maybe God's plan is for someone else to be affected by those couple minutes. To change someone else's life for the better.

08/16/15 4:42 am

As they say, either that orngps has a sick swmc of humor to make thing interesting..
In our house, we still pray every night for the baby we lost in a miscarriage. Tell our other kids he left to be in our hearts so they would never be alone

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
08/16/15 8:08 am

I like him. He asks ballsy questions. Not the same 123,567,234 questions on the same question.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
08/16/15 1:09 pm

Just because someone asks a question that may challenge your own personal beliefs doesn't make them sick. I, for one, appreciate that Cole gets people thinking and talking about things that others might not.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
08/16/15 2:33 pm

Questions of the same subject * I'll blame autocorrect because my mind has gone south for the summer lololol

evoecon nearest binary system
08/13/15 4:40 pm

We should always eliminate non-normal people from our society. Those autistic kids need some relief from their lives.

08/14/15 10:59 am

My autistic son is very happy with his life. He plays, laughs, swims, watches movies with us, goes to school... What relief can you offer him

evoecon nearest binary system
08/14/15 11:04 am

My comment was sarcastic in nature. I abhor the concept of aborting Down Syndrome children. To do so would be establishing a principle of legally aborting non-normal pregnancies (autistic, or physical deformed).

08/14/15 11:10 am

Thank you. With knowing you or your time of writing, sarcasm is not something I read

evoecon nearest binary system
08/14/15 11:14 am

It is hard to convey sarcasm in writing.

08/14/15 12:59 pm

It sure is.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
08/13/15 4:40 pm

I think having a disabled life is better than no life at all. The only reason a disability has a negative connotation at all is because there are people without disabilities.

It's relative. Having a disability is not objectively worse.

kermie gaytopia
08/13/15 6:49 pm

Life is overrated.

alkie New York
08/13/15 4:17 pm

This is like the saddest poll question ever. 😔

badattitude no place like home
08/13/15 3:37 pm

No, most downs kids are the happiest people you'll ever meet. They have their problems. And it's hard work to care for them, but. They are loved and they love people.

badattitude no place like home
08/13/15 3:38 pm

Now if you're talking about sociopaths, they should definitely be aborted. Evil animals in human skin.

andrewmac Paris
08/13/15 3:18 pm

No!!!! Definitely not. My cousin has Downs Syndrome and he has one of the best and happiest loves of all the people I know

kermie gaytopia
08/13/15 6:50 pm

This question isn't about your quality of life, it's about his.

andrewmac Paris
08/13/15 6:52 pm

Did I SAY it as me? No l! I didn't! I said HE has a happy life NOT me

kermie gaytopia
08/13/15 6:54 pm

Sorry, you said happy love not life so I misunderstood. My bad.

skinner Wisconsin
08/13/15 3:10 pm

No, every life has value, even those with mental or physical disabilities.

alek12 Orlando
08/14/15 12:58 am

If every life is worth something, then why do we let petty criminals rot in jail for the rest of their life or let human rights violations run rampant?

skinner Wisconsin
08/14/15 5:19 am

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Injustice happens, but that doesn't mean valuing every life is not the ideal.

rlands
08/13/15 3:09 pm

No...I know people with Downs who have great lives...