FarmerManE August 11th, 2015 12:22pm

A couple weeks ago, my pastor was talking about how yoga is "ungodly" because it teaches the practice of emptying the mind through meditation. Any chance yoga = ungodly?

Brrrrrrrrr
08/11/15 10:49 pm

I've said it years ago. One thing Christians must never forget is that satan is constantly trying to corrupt the soul. Common sense dictates that he will utilize things that sound completely benign, so never let your guard down.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
08/11/15 11:40 am

Yes, but he got the reason wrong. The reason is that in yoga meditation, you use a mantra, which is usually the name of a Hindu deity. This is basically invoking a demon.

FarmerManE djent
08/11/15 7:57 pm

I think that's what he said. I remember something about Hindu in there

bringstheeagle Colorado
08/11/15 10:21 pm

I've been a yogi and a Christian for years and I'm certified to teach although I don't. And a mantra is not required to meditate and most Americans including me do it for exercise and relaxation. Nothing says you can't meditate on Jesus. I do.

bringstheeagle Colorado
08/11/15 10:23 pm

However, indeed I do understand his point. Also, all yoga is not Hindu based.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
08/12/15 9:34 am

Thanks for the clarification, Eagle! That's good news!

MrsCrayonWax
08/11/15 9:13 am

Yoga is for the most part non religious meditation. What is wrong with emptying your mind of all the conflicting ideas that are causing you stress and anxiety?

iPolitix Political Party Animal
08/11/15 6:42 am

Yep. Not just that, the Smurfs are communists & teach witchcraft, Dungeons & Dragons summon demons, rock music makes you have premarital sex, metal makes you commit suicide, Procter & Gamble's president a Satanist, Disney shows promote evil magic...

iPolitix Political Party Animal
08/11/15 6:44 am

Christianity shouldn't base theology on Chick Tracts & supermarket tabloids. Oh yea, and Bigfoot had Jesus' baby & is living with Hitler in Utah as a Mormon. Proly. 😞

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
08/11/15 5:36 am

Naw. When I ran in the xianity circles, this was often propagated by men from their pulpits who didn't really have any idea what they were talking about. They heard it somewhere and used it as a launching platform to further scare their sheep.

MrsCrayonWax
08/11/15 9:14 am

Exactly! In my day with those folks, I had to clear my mind if all the crap they were filing it with.