StilettoMiss August 10th, 2015 11:19pm

The fundamental difference between America's left wing and America's right wing is that the left wants to send your kid to college and the right wants to send your kid to Iran.

chrismisen atlanta
08/10/15 10:54 pm

well, in the case of free college, the right wing understands that 1)money doesnt appear from thin air and 2)a college degree doesnt magically make humans better. and the left wing understands that war sucks and should be avoided at all costs

chrismisen atlanta
08/10/15 10:54 pm

maybe we could find a happy medium?

swervin Maryland
08/10/15 9:03 pm

If you add that the left wants everyone else but you to pay for your kids college, I will agree.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
08/10/15 8:28 pm

So… "Why talk it out when you can shoot it out?"

Yeah, I can see that.

mintpokepuffs Reading, Pennsylvania
08/10/15 7:21 pm

There are lefts in the military, and rights going to college...

kermie gaytopia
08/10/15 6:54 pm

Well if you generalize this more broadly, a significant difference is how each group sees their responsibility to future generations, yes

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
08/10/15 6:10 pm

*\(^o^)/*
...and not their kids...

makem Chinese Xinjiang Camp
08/10/15 5:09 pm

No no no, we want to send them to North Korea to rape and pillage.

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/10/15 4:57 pm

I wouldn't say it's the "fundamental" difference, no, but broadly speaking that's not a completely off-base generalization of one of the less-fundamental differences.

That said, there is a lot of modern left-based pushback against colleges.

Mattwall1
08/10/15 11:34 pm

Just curious, what left based push back? I've seen people complain about colleges leading to intellectualism or seeing them as liberal thought control centers, but I haven't seen too many anti college statements from the left (though I have seen pro

Mattwall1
08/10/15 11:35 pm

Trade school comments, though those aren't anti college).

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/11/15 7:52 am

Matt, I know a LOT of liberals who are ambivalent at best about college due to the high cost and dubious returns. It's a big thing in the Bay Area at least for people without college degrees to make great money (often in tech).

Mattwall1
08/11/15 8:13 am

But is that really being against the concept of college or the current college invest environment?

Mattwall1
08/11/15 8:14 am

Obviously, this is anecdotal, but I've usually seen/heard statements like that followed with "and this needs to change" not "college is inherently bad"

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/11/15 10:32 am

Sure - not that college is inherently bad but more that it isn't the right choice for everyone, which kind of ties in on some level with this notion that it's not cool to implicitly look down on blue collar workers, etc.

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/11/15 10:34 am

And so the "pushback" would be against the *cultural meme* of college as kind of a prerequisite for middle class life. Not against college in the abstract. But I brought it up because the poll asked if the left wants to send "your kid" to college.

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/11/15 10:35 am

So, to the extent that's getting at college degrees as a cultural meme, it isn't necessarily true that the left pushes this as universally as it previously did. Which, to be clear, I see as a positive. College *isn't* necessary for everyone.