Show Of Hands January 23rd, 2013 12:00am

Should women be able to serve in all the same military active combat roles as men?

01/31/13 5:15 pm

There's been plenty of times when leaders make mistakes and this feels like one of them.

War is VERY ugly. Judging of this topic should be left to those who have truly been there on ground combat. This is a VERY political topic, which has nothing to do with the warfare that is ground combat.

01/31/13 5:09 pm

Not to mention, this didn't work out a year or more ago when it was initially brought into the military. Not sure it's going to work out now, however we are in peacetime, so I see why it (politically) would now.

01/31/13 5:06 pm

I'm saying the Joint Chiefs of Staff make a recommendation and it is whether Panetta (and the President) want to push an objective or not. That's what I am saying. So, putting it all on the JCOS that they only recommended it is confusing when it is ALL leaders that came to this conclusion.

susanr Colorado
01/31/13 8:15 am

Are you saying that Panetta came up with this on his own, without the advice & recommendation of the Joint Chiefs? Or that the Chair just handed Panetta a hastily written letter that wasn't based on any prior consideration of the Joint Chiefs? Or what scenario exactly?

01/31/13 1:07 am

Susanr, actually you are wrong. There is the Joint Chiefs of Staff that are a group of military officials who guide as a military advisory committee to the President and the Secretary of Defense (Panetta). Therefore, who makes the shots? Oh I was right...

susanr Colorado
01/30/13 2:15 pm

It was the Joint Chiefs of Staff who made the recommendation. The Chair of the Joint Chiefs put it in a letter to Leon Panetta. Panetta announced it.

DuBoisZ
01/30/13 5:39 am

Honestly no. Nothing against women but unless they are gladiator women then no it's just not natural for them. The spit image is a women being back home at the house doing w/e she does while the man does the hardship. Not the other way around or same case scenarios.

01/30/13 3:33 am

JD, my husband (0311) was in Afghanistan this past year on a Advisory Team. FET teams were attached to them. They caused problems on their deployment (and got guys killed), even though they just went on a few patrols. I know the one guy who got killed to save a woman who was on the FET.

01/30/13 3:12 am

Active duty? Are you an infantryman?

01/30/13 2:59 am

Actually, women get sent to the main base to serve out her period days... Infantrymen can barely get food, water, and supplies, but let's send the woman out every month...

01/30/13 2:57 am

Since when did this question go from women in combat to republicans not winning elections ? LOL. *facepalm*

01/30/13 2:54 am

If there's ANYBODY a civilian should listen to about this topic, it's a damn infantryman, so give this guy way more credit because you all, including wives and family members, don't understand sh*t. (No offense, but you must walk a mile in their shoes, right?)

01/30/13 2:51 am

Kush, I 100% agree with you. My husband is an 0311 and after 4 combat deployments, I hear things, he tells me things, and I watch him hurt every day. The sh*t I hear is something women will never be able to deal with, which is sh*t the media will NEVER tell you.

01/30/13 2:48 am

Also, think about it, Panetta comes out with this right before he leaves as the secretary of defense AND during peacetime (because now is closing of the century of conflicts between Iraq & Afghanistan).

Warofthetom Odessa
01/30/13 2:46 am

If I go into battle and become injured, I want someone by me who can carry me out, and since women don't have to be as physically fit as men, they may not be able to do it.

01/30/13 2:45 am

I really wish infantrymen would answer this question and give us insight that we, aka civilians, don't understand. Like my husband who is an 0311 in the USMC, 4 combat deployments later. It's not about who is stronger; it's deeper than that. Women should not be in combat. Period.

raccoonan
01/29/13 6:55 pm

It's not like women have never been on the battlefield before. Should every woman be in combat? No, just like not every man should be. But denying a fit woman a place in a combat unit purely because she is a woman? That is sexism, and that is oppression.

ravens1 Birdland
01/29/13 3:46 pm

yes and no, but I respectfully do say men are more fit for combat, and I know women can be fit for it too. I think women should be doing things with computers and things off the battlefield because that's just as important

Skoopsotrill13
01/29/13 8:30 am

I feel like they deserve the right to do any role available so long as they are properly trained. If they can do the job as sufficiently as a man by all means go ahead. But I dont want to hear complaints and hearing oh this is unfair or excuses when things go wrong. It's what u wanted deal with it.

sarahpaige73
01/28/13 9:43 pm

Reality check: As a woman I am fully aware that I'm not capable of having the natural strength that men have. Do I consider it oppressive that I can't lift heavy machinery as efficiently as a man? Absolutely not. There is plenty else a woman can do in the military than prove herself as a man.

EmWalt Meet Jim the Duck
01/28/13 3:57 pm

Not exactly respect you're showing.....

ishady 86451132020
01/28/13 3:12 pm

Newsflash non believers there are some women out there that will kick your ass.
They deserve the right to try out like men.

ishady 86451132020
01/28/13 2:41 pm

Those Islamist rape squads are they legitimate rapers?

andwick
01/28/13 9:53 am

I train with them all the time, they can do it.

andwick
01/28/13 9:51 am

People forget we are not throwing them in the fight, they are volunteering and want to fight. If the have the courage and pride to fight for their country we should let them.

kush777
01/28/13 2:10 am

First of all, I AM a United States Marine Infantryman... And with all due respect, woman will never be as qualified as men when it comes to any combats role, especially an 0311 Infantryman. Maybe a field medic but nothing else. They are NOT physically or mentally strong enough. Trust me, I know...

JPolgarFan
01/27/13 10:46 pm

In other words, myths are projections of what we aspire to..and can become. If we would only let go of our "traditions" and prejudices. Something tells me you don't believe it possible though.

JPolgarFan
01/27/13 10:42 pm

Myths are grand ideas in men's minds that become realities my friend.

ScrewU Gone
01/27/13 9:37 pm

How is wanting to spare women the horrors of warfare "anti-woman?"

Do you have ANY idea what it's like to see someone's arm ripped off by an RPG? To see men fighting to get out of a burning HMMWV after an IED strike?

Stupid civilians.

Onamor
01/27/13 7:39 am

Like it or not, women are NOT as physically strong as men. PERIOD. Can you see a woman running to the frontline with those heavy assault firearms? Please!!!!!

JAsher Fishers, IN
01/27/13 12:25 am

And what if you're a man, but a smaller man, say 175 lbs, who needs to drag a man of 275 lbs to safety? What are you going to do then? Should the smaller man be disallowed to join, or hulking muscle man? Because, obviously, if you can't drag someone, then you shouldn't be allowed to join...right?

JAsher Fishers, IN
01/27/13 12:20 am

Okay, you weigh 195 without gear, but the guy you're responsible for dragging to safety weighs 270 without gear. Now what? Weight doesn't make a bit of difference, and that argument is tired.

BroM Western New York
01/26/13 6:10 pm

I thought you were going to a historical perspective to say how irrational it is now.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
01/26/13 6:09 pm

Nah. Prisoners should clean highways.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
01/26/13 6:08 pm

You want to put women on the ground face to face with Islamist rape squads? Good luck with your conscience, if you have one.

kingzope
01/26/13 5:54 pm

Yeah if you have a daughter and you're ok with this, you're incredibly naive.

I think the only people who should be allowed to vote on this are current active duty military. Vast majority of you people that are for it never even served.

Oh and yes I did :)

cduttwolf Middle Earth
01/26/13 5:28 pm

Because one woman's actions reflect all?

01/26/13 3:54 pm

So you're okay with what happens to captive women in combat? People are idiots to agree with this. Let's send your daughter. NOT MINE!

BadWolf The Library
01/26/13 2:34 pm

People are claiming its in their genetics to protect women. Criminals have genetics.

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/26/13 1:06 pm

The question was for women so I figured what about prisoners. Equal rights for everyone......

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/26/13 1:05 pm

Had to throw in a curveball for people. Come on man why so negative. I was simply stating a solution to combat effectiveness.

JPolgarFan
01/26/13 12:50 pm

And wtf does this have to do with the original question?

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/26/13 12:49 pm

We should use prisoners as our combat Soldiers. Sane ones that did not commit harmful crimes against someone else. But we give them choices during times of war. If They serve without any infractions, they get paid and a significant amount of time gets knocked off. Oh wait libs will say its unfair.

JPolgarFan
01/26/13 12:45 pm

Gudit, Trihn, Boudicca, Joan of Arc, Artesima, The Valkyries (I know Myth, but badass), Fu Hao, Anhotep, Zenobia

But nah women can't be badass warriors....it's a man thing right.....

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/26/13 12:44 pm

That's awesome, is that why you named yourself commonsense. Your post is dead on.