FemmeAdamWest August 10th, 2015 6:43pm

Women: Pretend you're getting married. Does 'making sure your bridesmaids don't outshine you' factor into your decision when picking out their dresses?

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
08/15/15 3:21 am

I would never have a wedding. Hypothetically though, I really don't care. Wear whatever. I'll be in plain clothes and looking as ugly as ever.

lasarah
08/12/15 12:20 pm

I said no, but I wouldn't want them wearing super dramatic sequined ball gowns either.

chickencookie It really is
08/11/15 10:12 am

The bride always stands out in my mind.

Rosebud Ohio
08/11/15 5:54 am

Absolutely not. I want them to look and feel beautiful too.
As an aside, when we got married it was so small that we didn't have anyone standing up with us, especially since our best friend couldn't make it.

TierasPet
08/11/15 4:46 am

No, not at all.

blackb7
08/10/15 7:32 pm

I said yes but I more meant that I wouldn't want the colors to be so bright or it to be so puffy (etc.) that it drew copious amounts of attention.

twss trump is a garbage human
08/10/15 7:24 pm

That's really a thing? Interesting...

anonymousmn Minnesota
08/10/15 6:33 pm

Haha! I made my bridesmaids (my sisters) wear this. I thought it would be something they could wear again when they went to dinner or something.

www.etsy.com/listing/240826205/floral-dress-vintage-bridesmaids-dress?ref=market

anonymousmn Minnesota
08/10/15 6:33 pm

Ours was a baby blue background though. 1993 was a fun time.

cheermom New Jersey
08/10/15 5:27 pm

When I got married, I let my bridesmaids each wear what they wanted to as long as it was Ivory and long. Everyone looked beautiful because they were wearing what looked good on them.

jmw7477 Indiana
08/10/15 5:23 pm

My wedding was nice, but very low budget. I had one bridesmaid. She just happened to have a dress that matched our colors.

KatG Liberal in Ohio
08/10/15 5:03 pm

No. I let my girls pick the dress they'd wear. Only stipulations were that they all had to agree, nothing short, and I had to like what they chose. They did good :)

Wino I need a drink
08/10/15 5:00 pm

I brought the three I wanted to be bridemaids (others were the SILs) shopping and they narrowed it to two choices and two colors while I drank mimosas with my mom. All the women then voted. I arranged the colors of the wedding based off that.

nnifer Alpha Quadrant
08/10/15 4:54 pm

Put them in a floral print mermaid dress. Because that would be hilarious

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/10/15 12:10 pm

Not even remotely. I was much more worried about not picking out something they'd hate or have to spend a lot of money on. I picked out three different styles that came in the same color and asked them to each choose their favorite of the three.

LadyA Earth Explorer
08/10/15 11:54 am

I'm all about style and design. I'd want them to look as gorgeous as possible.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
08/10/15 11:53 am

I thought this was some movie made myth but I met someone who admitted that she had kept that in mind while shopping. She showed me the picture of the dress and I totally believe her.

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/10/15 12:11 pm

That takes a serious level of insecurity. If she's that worried, she should have picked uglier bridesmaids.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
08/10/15 1:34 pm

You're probably right on both points.

I don't believe you can be outshined by a bridesmaid during your wedding. Doesn't matter if she is pretty, if the dress is pretty, or both.

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/10/15 1:50 pm

I agree. Your bridesmaids may be better looking, but *no one* (at least no one who isn't an asshole, and your bridesmaids can't be held responsible if you invite assholes to your wedding) seriously makes a wedding day about one of the bridesmaids.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
08/10/15 4:57 pm

I agree, but would add one point. Hypothetically, suppose that for some strange reason, a bridesmaid DOES outshine me.

So what? The purpose of the day is to marry the man I love, not to be an egotist and be center stage.

Rainey 633 Stag Trail Road
08/10/15 11:53 am

I let my bridesmaids pick their own dresses. As long as it was black, knee length, and had some sort of straps I didn't care what the bought. It made them very happy

Maj Worth Economist
08/10/15 11:52 am

When I got married, I'm pretty sure my bridesmaids looked better than I did. But both of my bridesmaids were foreign, and I asked them if they'd wear their traditional clothes. So one was dressed in kimono, and the other in a sari. 😊

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
08/10/15 3:43 pm

The three of you probably took some beautiful pictures together! (I hope!)

inge MIA
08/10/15 11:47 am

No way. I would make sure I picked dresses thay flattered them all and made them feel good.

Kay41 the Midwest
08/10/15 11:47 am

No, not at all. I'd want us all looking as beautiful as we can. I would only say that I wouldn't want them wearing white.