GrandmaALiCE August 10th, 2015 1:24pm

Inspired by a rather odd thread I just stumbled onto. You are the victim of a crime. An acquaintance describes your situation as "wrong place, wrong time." Is the acquaintance "victim blaming" you?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
08/10/15 5:43 pm

No, that is nothing like victim blaming. They aren't saying the victim brought it on him or her self, or that they shouldn't have been there, almost the opposite. They are commiserating with the victim and noting that it could have been any of us.

Kay41 the Midwest
08/10/15 11:12 am

It definitely wasn't meant as victim blaming. This woman was literally in the wrong place at the wrong time meaning that the violence perpetrated was done to her specifically because of where she was standing. Think took that in a completely

Kay41 the Midwest
08/10/15 11:13 am

different context and didn't want to hear that point made.

susanr Colorado
08/10/15 10:39 am

Not at all. It's just saying that circumstances came together at that particular time and place such that *whoever* was in that spot then was going to have something bad happen to them. That's the common use that I've seen, & there has been

susanr Colorado
08/10/15 10:41 am

utterly *no* victim blaming involved at all. Sometimes it's even the person who was affected who has said, wryly, "I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time."

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
08/10/15 10:47 am

Did you see the CaptainbString poll that inspired thus? It's about the SF murder by an illegal immigrant. There was a really bizarre thread. Somebody made the "wrong place, wrong time" comment and user Think just went nuts about it!

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
08/10/15 10:59 am

I just noticed the other poll is a month old. Here's how I came across it.

Somebody shared one of Captain's other polls. When I get a shared poll from somebody I don't know, I like to look their poll history. So, I stumbled onto this.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
08/10/15 11:01 am

I just thought that whole rant by Think was so strange, that I made my own poll. But, until just now, I didn't notice how old it was.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
08/10/15 5:45 pm

I don't even need to look at the poll. Knowing who went "nuts" about it explains everything.

missmorganmarie ...
08/10/15 6:53 pm

exactly what I meant in that poll susan

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
08/10/15 10:38 am

No. Crap happens. Impossible to avoid *all* of it no matter how proactive you are.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
08/10/15 10:35 am

For those who say it's victim blaming, I'd like to know why.

Korosensei Maine
08/10/15 10:17 am

Victim blaming would be saying "you should have known not to go there at that time" all they are doing is saying it was unfortunate coincidence

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
08/10/15 9:32 am

I don't think so. It's not like saying well she deserve it the way she was dressed. Which was my mother's attitude toward rape. I some cases.

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/10/15 7:59 am

It could be a mild form of victim blaming, depending on how they mean it. But they could also just be saying it was unfortunately inevitable.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
08/10/15 8:04 am

"... unfortunately for her, wrong place wrong time. there was nothing she could have done"

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/10/15 8:05 am

Yeah, that doesn't sound like victim blaming to me.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
08/10/15 8:05 am

For this, the poster (not me) was ... uh, let's just say, "severely chastised."

Rosebud Ohio
08/10/15 8:15 am

That's not victim blaming then.

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/10/15 8:22 am

They were chastised specifically for victim blaming? Wouldn't literally saying "there was nothing she could have done" kind of cut against any supposition of blame?

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
08/10/15 8:42 am

See CaptainBString's poll about the San Francisco murder by the illegal immigrant.

It's a really strange thread towards the bottom of the poll.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
08/10/15 11:02 am

However, it's a pretty old poll that inspired this. See my explanation to Susan above.

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/10/15 11:38 am

Wow. That's some grade-A nuttery going on in that comment thread. The reaction to her comment was bizarre and completely out of left field.

And no need to explain referencing an old poll - sometimes old articles get posted for reference too, etc.

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/10/15 11:39 am

If anything, the closest to victim blaming that thread gets is people suggesting that her having a gun would've changed anything. That's closer to victim blaming since it says she could have prevented it by making different choices deemed relevant.

rickvee Living the dream
08/10/15 7:29 am

He's saying, "Shit happens".

Rosebud Ohio
08/10/15 7:25 am

If it's meant as "you shouldn't have been there" yes.

sydwel
08/10/15 7:07 am

It depends on intent. I generally interpret that phrase alone to mean the individual was unfortunate, their situation couldn't have been foreseen. But it's definitely victim blaming if the intent is "you put yourself in a bad situation".

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
08/10/15 7:57 am

I agree. In this case, it was clearly meant the first way.

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
08/10/15 7:02 am

No. Victim blaming would be more like "you should have known better than to be there at that time".

TierasPet
08/10/15 6:43 am

Not necessarily. Many people who are victims of crimes are victims because they are in the wrong place at the wrong time. this in no way makes it their fault.

shygal47 Florida east coast
08/10/15 7:07 am

plus, "wrong place, wrong time" is just an over-used aphorism.