LeftLibertarian August 7th, 2015 10:15pm

There are no savage and civilized peoples, there are only different cultures.

Wooperth Blue Dog Democrat
08/07/15 7:10 pm

Saudi Arabia isn't just different - it's savagery.

Execution for adultery, leaving Islam, insulting Islam, etc.

That's not culture. That's barbarism.

Wooperth Blue Dog Democrat
08/07/15 7:11 pm

And did we mention their methods? Heads cut off, hands cut off, stoning to death, and flogging.

LeftLibertarian The Age of Outrage
08/07/15 7:25 pm

It is worth mentioning the Saudi government is backed by the US government, so could we also be looked on as savages? Also, I think the US government is not a fair representation of its citizens, and I would argue the Saudi one isn't either.

jmahippo Texas
08/07/15 5:25 pm

The entire middle east is an example that proves this false those who disagree are really stupid

LeftLibertarian The Age of Outrage
08/07/15 6:54 pm

I don't find Middle Eastern culture to be savage, and much of terror organizations and dictatorships that attack basic liberties are a result of interventionism, not cultural inferiority.

tsd715 New York City
08/07/15 7:03 pm

Well said LeftLibertarian.

LeftLibertarian The Age of Outrage
08/07/15 7:29 pm

Woop, Israel is hardly short of crimes against international law either, I don't see them as more "civilized"personally.

jmahippo Texas
08/07/15 7:51 pm

Thats pretty sad you dont see them being more civilized then towel heads who put peoples heads on spikes in parks

jmahippo Texas
08/07/15 7:52 pm

Not to mention international law is a joke if it weren't for the U.S the U.N woudnt even exist we can do whatever we want

LeftLibertarian The Age of Outrage
08/07/15 8:04 pm

I mean heads on spikes versus Israeli atrocities in Gaza, than that versus American torturing without trial, versus North Korean camps, maybe none of us are civilized, or maybe actions of a powerful minority aren't a representative of the population.

tsd715 New York City
08/07/15 8:07 pm

LeftLibertarian, it's not worth it. Either he's a troll, an Islamaphobic racist, or both. I know it's hard an I've done it before, but try not to feed their idiocy, no matter how much hate and vitriol they spew.

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
08/07/15 4:00 pm

I would classify most of the things ISIS has done as uncivilized.

tsd715 New York City
08/07/15 7:04 pm

But they cetainly don't represent a whole civilization.

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
08/07/15 7:41 pm

They might say they do. It just depends on what perspective you take.

tsd715 New York City
08/07/15 7:49 pm

They do claim to represent all Muslims, but they are wrong.

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
08/08/15 5:01 am

But their goal to establish an Islamic state, which follows their own culture and beliefs. Which is why I disagreed with the poll question. ISIS (and other extremist groups) in my opinion should be considered due to the "culture" aspect.

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
08/08/15 5:05 am

The question said "cultures" and due to the expansion and power of ISIS in that region, I had to disagree with it. I did not claim ISIS represented all Muslims. When culture is defined it doesn't qualify what shouldn't and shouldn't be included.

tsd715 New York City
08/07/15 3:19 pm

Absolutely agree. When people are happy and content in their civilization, no matter how savage it may seem to the West, we should respect it, or, at the very least, leave it alone.