ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
08/10/15 9:49 am

It's new and improved! !!

Me: oooooooh. I need this..

Someone else: you know it's the same thing but they just put the "new and improved " just to get you to buy it right?

Me: buys it

paytonvdh Wisconsin
08/10/15 8:48 pm

Ho can something be both "new" and "improved?" If its new what did you improve? Damn media

Shua01 Ohio
08/08/15 1:15 pm

When it comes to food, Totally!

melders Entertainment Sometimes
08/08/15 10:14 am

"What you call love was invented by guys like me... to sell nylons."

--Don Draper

gevans792 Utah
08/08/15 8:01 am

As an advertiser I love this question. If you think advertising doesn't work on you, you're the most susceptible.

airmack N.Y
08/07/15 7:49 pm

Most of the time companies over advertise and that just makes me not want to even look at their product.

susanr Colorado
08/07/15 3:20 pm

I'm sure it does in some cases at least. (Thanks a lot, Jony Ive, for making me lust for that Apple Watch that I really don't need.) But I think most often I'm completely turned off to a product or a company when I see their advertising.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
08/07/15 7:41 am

With the exception of simple announcements of products I want, no.

Someone says they have a good price on Han Solo in carbonite ice cube molds, I'm there.

ohm62
08/07/15 6:17 am

It works very well in me: the more I get bugged by a company's ads, the least likely I am to buy their products, as a very conscious, deliberate act of retribution.

Bobnpt The Ocean State
08/07/15 4:29 am

Of course it does. It works in everyone, whether they know it or not. To say "no" is wrong.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
08/06/15 11:09 pm

Sometimes. Depends on the form of advertising. I'd say coupons are the most effective for us, especially dining/restaurant coupons.

Pip
08/06/15 11:07 pm

It also helps that I almost NEVER see advertisements. For the most part, all I do is video games and programming. So there's no ads to see. And on my browser I have an ad blocker.

Pip
08/06/15 11:06 pm

Nope. I only buy what I need mostly. And if I'm buying something I want, I go out and research it and all its competition before purchasing.

azco
08/06/15 11:01 pm

We don't think we are convinced by it but sub consciously we are

tylerb Calfornia
08/06/15 9:46 pm

It works if I'm looking for that type of product or it would be a useful and productive product in my life.

malcsisyphus South Barrington
08/06/15 8:56 pm

I call bullshit on the naysayers denying the success of an entire industry.

dickluger
08/06/15 8:44 pm

To everyone who said 'No' yet still managed to answer this poll (on a computer or cell phone or tablet)... Congratulations! You've been sold! You are a susceptible consumer pawn!

shark
08/06/15 8:25 pm

A lot of people like to think it doesn't work on them but it actually does.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
08/06/15 8:40 pm

I think it always has some affect. However, if you dig your heals in and refuse to buy junk, then they can't get you to make the action they desire.

clarc
08/06/15 7:48 pm

Most advertising doesn't work on me, at this point a lot of companies are getting just plain desperate and I find it pathetic, but it would be just plain arrogant to say that all advertising doesn't work on me.

Oboette17 Senioritis
08/06/15 7:06 pm

Yeah... I sit watching TV or whatever, and think, they're using this propaganda technique! And then I think, and it's working... On me... I'm so gullible and persuadable.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
08/06/15 7:03 pm

I love Crazy People but advertising seldom is so effective.

gonzoboy Arizona
08/06/15 5:39 pm

One ad sticks out in my mind. It's a Subaru commercial that's not advertising any specific model, but their safety. Cars are being shown completely crunched, and officials on hand are saying, "They lived". I like that, but I'm not buying a Subaru.

brettshel Bernie Would Have Won
08/06/15 5:15 pm

I know too much about how advertising works to let it affect me. I work in that business, so I know all the little tricks they utilize to get your attention. It's actually kinda scary how they can manipulate you, without you even realizing it.

singkitty In the cloud
08/06/15 6:25 pm

^this! I was going to say most people who say "no" might not understand how subliminal advertising can get!

DonWichita Kansas
08/06/15 4:17 pm

Yes on some things.

RedHale Texas
08/06/15 4:12 pm

Advertising works on everyone. You can't go somewhere you don't know exists. Also, advertising is a subconscious thing, if you hear something being called 'the greatest' or 'the best' enough times, you will start to buy in to it.

jlheathfam
08/06/15 4:05 pm

So studies show strong sales in response to advertising, but no one is effected. Unlikely.

nyjewboy USA
08/06/15 3:18 pm

I tend to find most ads to be racist, sexist or just generally stereotypical so they don't generally inspire a purchase

RedHale Texas
08/06/15 4:13 pm

You sound like a very over-reactive person.

s4mm1 MD SLP
08/06/15 6:46 pm

When I read comments like this I automatically assume said commercials aren't racist and/or sexist. People are offended by everything

CorblaKhan Team Skynet
08/06/15 2:22 pm

Possibly negatively. Or for the band who's music they use. I find most ad content to be insulting as hell.

Wooperth Blue Dog Democrat
08/06/15 1:15 pm

It almost always gets me interested, unless it's some sort of medicine or law firm.

I like hearing what product creators have to say about their products. You understand it better than.

rbrown Kansas
08/06/15 1:15 pm

No, I'm not much of a consumer and buy as much stuff 2nd hand as I can.

Handstand .
08/06/15 1:05 pm

Christ, I gave you people too much credit. I thought this was an intelligent group. The 58% that voted no, proved me wrong.

We are ALL affected by advertising! It's everywhere!

sea California
08/06/15 1:22 pm

Affected is different than "worked." I don't own an apple watch, a bmw, or have Geico insurance.

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
08/06/15 12:55 pm

Only beer advertising. Whatever beer advert comes up, it makes me want a Sam Adams.
All other advertisements just make me pissed off that the product being advertised even exists and compel me to wish death upon the makers of the product and advert.

146787456777 .......
08/06/15 12:29 pm

Of course, it works on everyone to some degree. If it didn't businesses wouldn't spend so much money on it and it wouldn't be so pervasive in our society

Mrvoter
08/06/15 12:37 pm

I've actually intentionally avoid businesses that I believe advertise too much lol.

cmeszko99 New York
08/06/15 12:21 pm

Advertising works on everyone.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
08/06/15 11:47 am

It works on everybody.

CudOfCow Oregon
08/06/15 11:19 am

I'd like to say no but I've bought enough weird stuff in my time to say that yes it probably has some subconcious impact.

TiredofIt Texas
08/06/15 11:05 am

I don't know what this question means. Do I go out and buy stuff that is advertised? Yes. Do I ONLY buy stuff that is advertised or buy stuff ONLY because it was advertised? No.

swervin Maryland
08/06/15 10:38 am

Probably. If they did a good enough job, I really wouldn't know it worked, would I?

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
08/06/15 10:36 am

I regularly remember the commercial or ad I saw... and couldn't tell you what product it was advertising if my life depended upon it!

Nope.

simplyjoyful Texas
08/06/15 10:34 am

If you don't know that advertising works on you then it works really well. Advertising isn't just commercials. It's color, placement, font, wording ect. A psychologist first came up with products at the register and celebrity endorsements.

sea California
08/06/15 1:25 pm

Disagree. It may make me aware of a product and of the image they want to convey, but I do have something called logic and free will.

dudley northern Virginia woods
08/06/15 10:22 am

Doesn't convince me but sometimes it's entertaining. I especially like the Lincoln/Geico one and the Slowski turtle ads.

MurrayHitchens The Truth Wins Out
08/06/15 10:20 am

They do very little. I'm way more likely to get a bad impression from the desperateness I see in a company's commercial than to see something I like. I save almost all of my money. I'm basically marketing's worst nightmare.

TheCameron UCF
08/06/15 10:05 am

Just because you don't go out and buy everything you see advertised doesn't mean it doesn't work.

mojorisin Missouri
08/06/15 10:01 am

Take a marketing class and learn what real advertising is than say it doesn't work. Anything you have ever purchased was because of advertising. It's not just commercials or billboard signs on the highway.

swervin Maryland
08/06/15 10:37 am

So when I buy apples from the farmer's market, that's because of advertising?

blockfisher Clinton, CT
08/06/15 11:23 am

Did the farmers market have a sign that said "fresh picked apples"? Then yes you went there because of advertising.

swervin Maryland
08/06/15 11:42 am

No. It has been there almost every weekend for years. You drive by a see a ton of cars parked outside of some shanty looking buildings. It catches your eye. You go in, see people selling everything from apples to rabbits.

mojorisin Missouri
08/06/15 2:48 pm

Did you pick a certain type of apple over another? Did you pick a certain apple over another apple because of the advertised price? Did the sign that said apples direct you to the apple stand?

jlheathfam
08/06/15 4:07 pm

Do you see apples pictured? Do you only buy apples?

benjaminjump Columbus, Ohio
08/06/15 9:49 am

Advertising works on everyone. Most just don't realize it.

awkwardism dissent
08/06/15 9:47 am

What is advertising supposed to do exactly? Make you want to buy something or tell you about the availability of a product and what it's for.

awkwardism dissent
08/06/15 9:58 am

If you're asking if I get information on products being provided to the general public via TV radio signs the Internet or subliminal dream insertion and product placement, with a catchy tune, than yes.

cato Santa Barbara, California
08/06/15 9:42 am

Not none at all. Never did.

Maj Worth Economist
08/06/15 9:30 am

Today I'm going to Shop-Ko because it's the start of their back to school supplies sale and I always save a TON of money. I went to a shredding event with my mom because she needed seven boxes of papers shredded.

Maj Worth Economist
08/06/15 9:34 am

I bought a pork loin at Safeway last week because they had a coupon for it at $1.69/lb. I saved $10 at the hardware store because I signed up for their email list. All of that was because of advertising. None of it was radio or TV.

Maj Worth Economist
08/06/15 9:36 am

People don't even know what advertising is. And even then, a lot of of people think it's only a bad thing.

dale41 Lets play two
08/06/15 9:28 am

Most of the time no, as I work in an advertising field and know what to look for. However, anyone that answered no is wrong. Advertising works on everyone. If not, companies wouldn't dump 100's of millions of dollars into it.

packers1 Wisconsin
08/06/15 9:26 am

Advertising is everywhere. No one is immune to it.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
08/06/15 9:20 am

It works on all of us whether we consciously realize it or not. Advertisers are pretty slick now and use a lot of psychology-based tactics to get through to people, if even subconsciously.