MachoMatt84 August 4th, 2015 5:17am

For the vast majority of people, do you think subconscious, initial judgement of others is more based on the clothes an individual wears, or the color of their skin?

dessy Indiana cornfield
08/04/15 11:56 am

A combination of factors. I'll admit this, most people wear regular clothes. It's not likely that I will see a suit or "thug clothes" daily. Most of my judgement come from their appearance: skin color, hair style, tattoos, hair amount. But I don't

dessy Indiana cornfield
08/04/15 11:57 am

Make my final judgement based on that.

kermie gaytopia
08/04/15 6:55 am

Lots of people here fooling themselves. Good, decent people. But still fooling themselves.

MachoMatt84 Mountain climbing
08/04/15 10:48 am

What? You think most people automatically judge by race first?

kermie gaytopia
08/04/15 12:54 pm

I know we do, myself included. Lots of scientific studies have shown this. It's unconscious and unavoidable. It's hard wired in us. That's not a judgment, it just is. We'd all be better off acknowledging it.

JJJSchmidt San Marcos
08/04/15 5:38 am

My first instinct was clothes but I think people are overlooking something. There are more clothes out there than a suit or a thug uniform. I think given something neutral like jeans and a t-shirt, people would judge based on color.

chickencookie It really is
08/04/15 5:22 am

Definitely clothes. If I am walking down the street and I see a group of sharp dressed men in suits I think successful and educated. If I see a group of guys dressed in sweatshirts I'm thinking maybe I'll cross the street.

kermie gaytopia
08/04/15 6:55 am

OMG not sweatshirts!

chickencookie It really is
08/04/15 7:11 am

If it's night. I am alone. I am more apt to judge them then suit guys.

TierasPet
08/04/15 4:04 am

If the two choices, clothes but that's not what actually firms my first impression.

bethanyq Ess Eff
08/03/15 10:34 pm

I live in the Bay Area. Billionaire executives wear jeans and hoodies, and we still have racism here.

hiacynthia
08/03/15 10:34 pm

Clothing. If someone is dressed like a slob, that speaks volumes.

phen nebraska
08/03/15 10:33 pm

I think skin color depending on location. White lady in the middle of Hispanic community will notice color more than clothes

Zod Above Pugetropolis
08/03/15 10:30 pm

One pair of jeans and a flannel shirt looks pretty much like any other.

MachoMatt84 Mountain climbing
08/03/15 10:20 pm

I, for one, get my initial impression on most (if not all) people based on their clothes. I know whenever I see a guy, black or white, dressed in a suit and tie, I think "that guy looks sharp". However, if I see a guy, black or white, dressed...

MachoMatt84 Mountain climbing
08/03/15 10:22 pm

... like a gangster, I think "that guy looks like a thug". Clothes tell a lot about an individual and I'm thinking the vast majority also make their initial judgements based on someone's attire, not skin color.