FacePalm August 3rd, 2015 9:29am

Is it more acceptable to make negative, derogatory generalizations about an entire group of people (which must include each member individually as well as collectively) than it is to limit the critique to one person in particular? Please Explain.

meb1 somewhere in MN
08/07/15 5:25 am

People/politicians often look for someone else to blame. Gays, women, Jews, Mexicans... Then they seem to start believing their own garbage. Hitler comes to mind.

catpillow Florida West Coast
08/03/15 11:20 pm

It certainly happens a lot, but choose not to do that.

phen nebraska
08/03/15 5:56 am

People now a days don't like blunt criticism for one reason or another...too weak mentally I think. But yes its easier and more acceptable to paint with a broad brush and label groups

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
08/04/15 12:09 am

Why is it more acceptable? Shouldn't it be less acceptable to make a derogatory comment about many people than just o e?

phen nebraska
08/04/15 5:14 am

You would hope so. But it's 'better' to say that a group does something that to say Bob does something. I don't know why though. One of those double edge sword BC sooner or later, nothing you say is right.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
08/04/15 7:02 pm

If someone is being an ass, I will call out that someone. I am not going to assume or imply that everyone who shares some characteristic be it religion, gender, political stance, with that individual also shares that person's asshattery.

phen nebraska
08/04/15 9:10 pm

First.. Love your use of asshatery..
Next, I think a lotnod the tines the comments are made is jest...is.. Men are dogs. Women are emotional. Simple lil things like that are still a broad brush

TierasPet
08/03/15 4:20 am

It seems to be. When you put everyone in a box and tell a lie over and over again, people start to believe the whole group is bad. It's more fair to pull out the bad apples and directly point at them, but it takes more work.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
08/03/15 5:06 am

I think it takes more courage, too. It's easy to blast the faceless masses, especially under cover of anonymity.

TierasPet