Rotavele August 3rd, 2015 8:00am

I just remembered something (maybe) unusual from my childhood. My elementary and middle school had policies that if there was a physical fight: no teacher was allowed to intervene. Should teachers break up physical student fights or let them go?

MrsCrayonWax
08/06/15 2:53 pm

There should be authorized staff to break up a fight. You open yourself up for tons of lawsuits if you are just trying to save two kids from beating the snot out of each other but without fail, a parent will try to sue.

catpillow Florida West Coast
08/03/15 11:31 pm

It probably depends on how violent the situation is and if there are weapons involved. If it's a fistfight, maybe you could spray them with a hose to cool them off. Otherwise, call the police.

RepMorris Pennsylvania
08/03/15 4:37 pm

The teacher needs to have discretion. Only if the teacher believes they safely can. We should not force a little old lady teacher to jump between two high school boys who many times have the strength of grown men. there shouldn't be a one-size-fits-

arollaatoris Nomad
08/03/15 3:17 pm

Intuitively I would say yes they should break it up. But I can see why it might be a liability (they could get accused of fighting w/the students, they could get injured, etc). If they're not allowed to intervene, the school should definitely

arollaatoris Nomad
08/03/15 3:17 pm

have proper security personnel who can quickly respond

Mattlajoie83 Semi Charmed Life
08/03/15 7:46 am

I say let it happen men solve all their problems after a fight

iMatter2 I Used to Love H.E.R.
08/06/15 7:10 am

What about female students? There is such a thing...

MrsCrayonWax
08/06/15 2:54 pm

And if one of those students gets severely injured up to and including death? That's one hell of a justified lawsuit.

phen nebraska
08/03/15 6:06 am

One of the things I was told in college was that when teachers intervene, it can lead to accusations against teachers, set ups against teachers and other issues.... We were told to keep other ppl from jumping in and call security

getupbaby South City
08/03/15 4:45 am

Our school had a short lived policy of teachers only able to use a straightened arm to break it up. That led to teacher pummeling.

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
08/03/15 5:20 am

This user is currently being ignored

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
08/03/15 4:32 am

I can see the pros and cons in that type of policy.

TierasPet
08/03/15 4:23 am

I'd say break them up because violence isn't a great way to solve differences. At the same time, neither is expelling both students and making mountains out of mole hills.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
08/03/15 3:21 am

I remember those policies...they just moved everybody else out of the way let them fight.