RVA August 3rd, 2015 12:29am

You're at the grocery checkout line with produce the cashier is clueless about. You tell them what it is, but they cannot find the item's number. They arbitrarily pick a similar item, which turns out to be cheaper. If you say nothing, is it stealing?

greeengoddess Minnesota
08/08/15 5:26 am

I work in a grocery store, and if I can't find a produce item's PLU and the store is busy (too busy for it to be worth it to page someone who works in produce), I will ring it up as, for example, $2 produce department, or any price that I estimate is

greeengoddess Minnesota
08/08/15 5:28 am

slightly less than the item's actual worth. The owner of the store has told us to do this. It's better for the business to not waste a customer's time and lose a dollar or two than it is to risk losing the customer.

DiLaughing Arkansas
08/07/15 1:18 am

It's not stealing when you're doing your best to pay the right price. The employee made an incorrect choice after getting the facts. On the other hand, if you had been overcharged, wouldn't you have asked her to correct it?

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
08/06/15 9:15 pm

If I tell them what it is and they mess it up, it's on them

stickpony Georgia
08/03/15 4:54 pm

I would tell the cashier what it is
and/or the price. The cashier was new.

phen nebraska
08/03/15 6:47 am

That's why I like the self checkout lines. Then i look up the number and hopefully know what I'm buying

jvc1133 61535
08/02/15 9:10 pm

Taking advantage of stupidity. 😎

RVA Uptown, Fan District, RVA
08/02/15 8:18 pm

Who me? What? Nahhh.

RVA Uptown, Fan District, RVA
08/02/15 8:20 pm

Just kidding. I bought poblano peppers. I refuse to make tacos without them. Cashiers never get it right. I even spelled it out. There were a lot of people behind me, and it was about a $2 difference. I just wanted to go home.

WildRice With a side of sass
08/03/15 4:17 am

What? Poblano peppers aren't that exotic! The worst we got was when we asked about leeks and they pointed us in a non food aisle...

RVA Uptown, Fan District, RVA
08/03/15 4:43 am

Ha! That's pretty bad. No, they're not, but some cashiers just don't know them. I think she ran them up as Anaheim peppers. I've found that a lot after the fact when I look at the receipt at home. So odd.

greeengoddess Minnesota
08/08/15 9:36 pm

The PLU for poblano peppers is 4705, for future reference.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
08/02/15 7:28 pm

No, because time is money. It's not worth it to the store to spend 5 minutes getting it right to charge you a dollar more while 5 customers wait. Enjoy your good karma and move on.

alkie New York
08/02/15 7:19 pm

Excuse me miss, that ribeye is $5 more. Or just be quiet which takes less effort. Her mistake.

susanr Colorado
08/02/15 7:15 pm

I don't think it's stealing, but it isn't being completely honest either. I would point it out to them.

Kay41 the Midwest
08/02/15 5:55 pm

No, you were honest with what the item was. At this point, it is a lack of training on the part of the employee and the employee knows they chose the wrong item.

RVA Uptown, Fan District, RVA
08/02/15 8:23 pm

Pretty much. I spelled it out properly and all. There was about a $2 difference. I don't consider it stealing under the circumstances. If it were $2 the other way I still wouldn't have said anything, as I typically just want to get home.

cpaswr just say the letters
08/02/15 5:41 pm

All businesses bear the risk of loss.

Dazey Beagles Rule
08/02/15 5:38 pm

You have an obligation to act honestly when engaging in commerce. If you know they are under charging you from the agreed upon price, then you are stealing from them by lying about it.