Maj August 2nd, 2015 7:58pm

Is being boorish and callous a sign of honesty?

markm72 Cornwall,PA
08/05/15 1:04 am

No; it's just a sign of bad manners.

BusinessJustin Tamriel
08/02/15 8:41 pm

I hope so. I've often been called callous and concede that I truly am at times. I steer away from being boorish though, opting for a more respectful tone in my debating. Hopefully my own callousness isn't perceived too negatively.

bringstheeagle Colorado
08/02/15 5:21 pm

Good choice of words for the poll and good poll.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
08/02/15 3:14 pm

No, just a sign of being boorish and callous. You don't need to be either of those things to be scrupulously honest. Behaving badly in that way, with or without using honesty as the excuse, is a choice that strongly suggests a lack of character.

bringstheeagle Colorado
08/02/15 5:20 pm

Yea. That's what I was gonna say but you said it better so I won't repeat it.

TierasPet
08/02/15 2:50 pm

I don't think so but I also don't think you need to be cruel and uncaring to get your point across most of the time. If you have to resort to that, you can pretty much be assured the person you're talking to is not listening anyway.

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
08/02/15 1:47 pm

You can be honest and still take people's feelings into account. However, if I don't care for you much, I'm less likely to lessen the blow of honesty. If you're an adult and I work with you, "suck it up cupcake".

Dazey Beagles Rule
08/02/15 1:58 pm

I know many people like that. What's generally missed is that being honest about your opinion of the moment doesn't necessarily mean you're right. It's not uncommon for the "just being honest" folks to end up with egg on their face.

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
08/02/15 2:26 pm

If I'm speaking up about something, then generally it's true and I've already weighed pros and cons. Especially at work. I typically have the don't speak up unless asked policy about ppl.

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
08/02/15 2:27 pm

But after a certain point as an adult you should be able to accept constructive criticism and not need softeners. I think softeners often garble the actual message or aren't genuine.

Dazey Beagles Rule
08/02/15 2:33 pm

There's a sliver of truth to that. I can only say that it's not uncommon for the "just being honest" folks to be merely sharing their "truth", which doesn't necessarily mean it has any value or legitimacy outside of their opinion.

Dazey Beagles Rule
08/02/15 2:34 pm

The discretion and filter you mention for yourself is a good thing. I'm just speaking generally.

Dazey Beagles Rule
08/02/15 1:41 pm

No. It's a sign of being rude and unfeeling just as the words are defined. That doesn't necessarily translate to being honest.