Ebola1 Florida
08/02/15 5:43 am

Yes, plants have been shown to react to painful stimuli. And they do have their own form of chemical central nervous system so to say that because they're not like animals that they can't feel pain is short sighted.

MrEdwin Mystery
08/02/15 6:00 am

I asked this question because I was wondering what vegans/vegetarians who choose not to eat meat or animal products due to the ethical concerns involved would think.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
08/01/15 8:50 pm

No, not in any way that we experience pain. They have no nervous system and are incapable of experiencing it.

MrEdwin Mystery
08/01/15 8:53 pm

Just because they don't experience pain the same way as we do doesn't mean they don't feel pain though, right? I mean, plants don't have ears but they can use vibrations to hear what's around them.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
08/01/15 8:43 pm

They react to stressors, and even to parts being shorn off. They must be able to "sense" this. Would you call a reaction to such things as "pain"?

MrEdwin Mystery
08/01/15 8:48 pm

I can't say for sure, but I think it's certainly possible.

SugarShaq
08/01/15 9:56 pm

Does your hair feel pain when it's cut?

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
08/01/15 10:00 pm

I would say they experience something analogous to pain. But I'm a Daoist. I say most natural things have a soul.

Hey Edhwin. Are you just returning? Just got back from a year hiatus myself. And if memory serves, you have a brother, right?

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
08/01/15 10:00 pm

Late, does your hair utilize photosynthesis?

MrEdwin Mystery
08/01/15 10:03 pm

I've retreated more to lurking and then popping up here and there, I'm gonna see if I can start commenting some more. Yeah I have a brother, but I don't remember ever mentioning him here ;o

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
08/01/15 10:09 pm

It was a user here that regularly "harassed" you, and you in kind. It was funny. Can't remember who though.

MrEdwin Mystery
08/01/15 10:12 pm

Ah, I think you're talking about MisterE, we had similar names by coincidence and liked to troll each other. At some point people though we were the same user. Thanks, I see the big voices on this app haven't changed all that much :p

SugarShaq
08/01/15 10:18 pm

No, but my hair utilizes Clairol.