Praetorianus August 2nd, 2015 3:19am

In fictional novels and movies that have a big clash, like Independence Day, usually the "good guys" win. If you see a movie where the "bad guys" flat out win, provided you don't identify with them, would you likely be angry/disapponted?

fcdrvr
08/02/15 7:39 pm

Just once I'd like to see the coyote pummel the roadrunner. Poor guy tries so hard

xSonofLibertyx
08/02/15 6:49 pm

Star Wars episodes 3 and 5 are exceptions, because the story doesnt end with those movies

wigjones55
08/02/15 4:55 pm

I read Punish the Sinners by John Saul as a teen and at the end when the protagonist is closing in on the killer the killer takes him out for getting to close and continues his killing. Then the book ends and I was shocked the bad guy won.

14573 Scary Numbers
08/02/15 1:30 pm

I also always love the movie theories that come out about how the good guys aren't. Like how in the Lion King Scar was a legitimate revolutionary and Mufasa had it coming.

wigjones55
08/02/15 4:51 pm

My impressionable 8 year old daughter saw a show on YouTube about how Scar was actually the victim and would argue with people over it.

14573 Scary Numbers
08/02/15 5:01 pm

Yeah. If you listen to the song where he recruits the hyenas he doesn't promise then land, or power, or anything like that. He promises them food, something Mufasa denied them occupation of the good land simply because he didn't like them

14573 Scary Numbers
08/02/15 5:01 pm

He threw them into exile in a land with no food on essentially racism.

14573 Scary Numbers
08/02/15 1:28 pm

I loved Watchmen. The "bad guy" didn't necessarily win because although his plan was very much evil and killed millions it brought in a strong shade of grey to the unrealistic duality that good vs. evil fights always have.

Isomax TIC TOC
08/02/15 9:18 am

We don't have to watch a movie to experience the bad guys winning. It's reality

swervin Maryland
08/02/15 6:30 am

I usually cheer for the bad guys. I just wish they would kill the good guys when they captured them, instead of spelling out their plots while the the good guy comes up with an escape plan.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
08/02/15 6:28 am

No. That simply means there's room for a sequel. Hopefully the original didn't stink.

cpaswr just say the letters
08/02/15 6:00 am

I like Fallen and The Usual Suspects because the good guys didn't win.

TierasPet
08/02/15 4:47 am

Yes because it's usually documentaries and that's not fiction.

jvc1133 61535
08/02/15 4:47 am

I'd just never watch it again. 😎

slickspin Heart of Texas
08/02/15 1:31 am

This is why American movies/tv are sooooo boring. You know 'evil' always loses and the "good guys" will win. SPOILER ALERT - "Cabin in the Woods" humanity loses. Good movie in general, if you can tolerate the gore....

PrinceOberyn Vive LEmpereur
08/01/15 8:50 pm

I prefer books with morally ambigious characters and such. The Accursed Kings, Dune,and of course, A Song of Ice and Fire (plugging ASOIAF for the 5956th Time) are some of the best at this.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
08/01/15 8:45 pm

No. It means there'll be a sequel. This is 'Murica after all.

mc88 Cleveland OSU
08/01/15 8:22 pm

No, I like winning.

political Georgia
08/02/15 8:40 am

Me too - so does Trump

gow488 Wisconsin
08/01/15 8:22 pm

Not at all since I always root for the bad guy in the movies

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/01/15 8:25 pm

Depends. I root for them if I think they aren't really bad. Like the Sith Lords, or the Klingons.

Lance007 Libertas est super omnes
08/01/15 10:52 pm

Whoa. Someone actually thinks the Sith aren't evil. Do their constant quests for iron-fisted rule over massive empires not prove that?

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/01/15 11:36 pm

Empires bring civilization. For example, the Roman empire civilized the ancient world, its fall brought about the dark ages. We only know of the Sith through rebel propaganda and of course the movie makers, it's really one sided :P

Lance007 Libertas est super omnes
08/02/15 8:36 am

But the Sith are trying to bring an empire to planets that already have civilization, and they aren't shy about massacring the innocent (blowing up planets, remember) or... well, pretty much slaughtering the innocent. They really like doing that.

Lance007 Libertas est super omnes
08/02/15 12:24 pm

And actually there are quite a few books, comics, and video games that provide more insight into the Sith as well.

Jsd789 Centrist
08/02/15 12:30 pm

Let me jump in here... The Sith Lords may have a record of brutality but they keep the galaxy in order and the average citizen appears to live well. However, when the rebels win, they hurl planets into chaos controlled by local warlords. They show..

Jsd789 Centrist
08/02/15 12:32 pm

.. no intent on fixing any political issues, but rather focus entirely on killing the higher ups to avenge personal feuds. All they do is create chaos. Plus, though the Sith blew up Alderaan, it's the home planet of the leader of the rebels, and...

Jsd789 Centrist
08/02/15 12:33 pm

.. there's reason to believe they fund/train rebel soldiers. If someone blows up a country where almost everyone funds/supports ISIS, then would you see them as evil?

Lance007 Libertas est super omnes
08/02/15 12:38 pm

The rebels and ISIS have very little in common. Nowhere do you see the rebels throwing gay Bothans off of buildings.

The average citizen may appear to live better, but they live completely in fear, and even just being at the wrong place can end

Lance007 Libertas est super omnes
08/02/15 12:40 pm

Their life. Also, we are talking about the Sith here, not the rebels. The Sith have a history going back thousands of years, the rebels less than a decade.

14573 Scary Numbers
08/02/15 1:24 pm

I actually like the Sith a little because they embrace feelings. The Jedi endorse restraint and stoicism whereas the Sith believe that emotions should not be repressed. Most Sith find one emotion they focus on fully expressing.

14573 Scary Numbers
08/02/15 1:24 pm

Unfortunately the most well known Sith, the Emperor, had hate as his emotion of choice.

Jsd789 Centrist
08/02/15 1:49 pm

Yes the emotions shouldn't be repressed. Even if it's anger. It's only natural.

14573 Scary Numbers
08/02/15 1:52 pm

When he said "Good let the anger flow through you" he wasn't encouraging Anakin to be evil he was validating him as 'dude you have every right to be pissed'

Lance007 Libertas est super omnes
08/02/15 3:19 pm

Uh, I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much every Sith ever has anger as their "emotion of choice".

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/01/15 8:21 pm

Generally no, I like to be surprised and predictable outcomes often bore me because it's so common.

fracy A deeper shade of blue.
08/01/15 8:20 pm

Not at all. I like stories that don't play to convention it just needs to happen logically.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/01/15 8:23 pm

I mentioned Independence Day. This is exactly where it's implausible Earth wins. Planting a virus in an alien computer just won't fly. Of course I sided with Earth but they should have lost.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
08/01/15 8:28 pm

Dude, don't try and fuck with independence day. That movie rocked

sea California
08/02/15 3:35 pm

The first time I watched that movie, when they explained the plan to upload the virus, I was waiting for the real plan to be unveiled. But nope, the plot really was that stupid. I was in disbelief.

sea California
08/02/15 4:34 pm

Good thing the aliens used Macs. If they used windows Earth would a been screwed!