SonofThunder August 1st, 2015 10:31pm

Knowing that it would cost far less then previously thought to colonize the moon, would you be in favor of the U.S. Doing it?

ronderman North Carolina
08/02/15 4:11 am

10,000,000,000 is nothing with the way this country throws money away.

Hooah Fmr. Zia
08/01/15 5:34 pm

Yes, but I think we should make or an international effort just like the ISS

Mark3
08/01/15 4:44 pm

I can think of some I'd like to go there.

14573 Scary Numbers
08/01/15 4:28 pm

Absolutely. I don't care if it cost trillions we need to do it as a vector and first step towards our future.

SonofThunder peace
08/01/15 4:43 pm

Agree 100% but luckily it won't cost nearly that much.

14573 Scary Numbers
08/01/15 4:45 pm

Was there a cost estimate put up somewhere? How much are we talking for Moon Base Alpha?

SonofThunder peace
08/01/15 4:50 pm

Yup says it right in the article. It was projected to cost about 100 billion. But they said it's about 10 billion.

SonofThunder peace
08/01/15 4:51 pm

If NASA couldn't do it, I bet a company like spaceX probably could. Also if spaceX can master their reusable rocket project I bet it'll be even cheaper.

14573 Scary Numbers
08/01/15 4:54 pm

I'd argue thought that the first moon base is an important precedent and it'd be better if an established world power was the first to settle the moon

SonofThunder peace
08/01/15 4:57 pm

Yeah but spaceX is an American company. If NASA helps fund it it's a victory for America. That being said I do see your point.

14573 Scary Numbers
08/01/15 5:12 pm

It's really breaks down to whoever lands on the foreign planet (not necessarily the moon) OWNS that area. Corporate government worries me. Colonization needs to be done by someone with a Constitution not a profit margin.

SonofThunder peace
08/01/15 5:54 pm

What can I say? I trust Elon Musk quite a bit. At the end of the day the man is a pragmatist, he'll do whatever it takes to take us further than we've ever gone. If that means giving the reigns to the government so be it. I personally don't care how

SonofThunder peace
08/01/15 5:54 pm

It's done as long as it gets done. However again your point is well taken, because at the end of the day we never know what might happen.

14573 Scary Numbers
08/01/15 6:13 pm

Yeah I can understand the position that any moon base is better than no moon base.

FATSHADOW Cyborg Gorilla
08/01/15 4:03 pm

Nothing up there of value...but lets do it as a "Fuck You" to the Russians...

After they get us there.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
08/01/15 3:35 pm

Of course. As a platform to expand farther out. Also, to produce goods that are best produced in a vacuum, and people with certain health issues may fare better in low gravity. Also good for hazardous industry.

swervin Maryland
08/01/15 4:21 pm

Let me get this straight, you think they will want to ship hazardous materials via rocket to the moon, just so that it's safe to work with them, just to have to ship it back to the Earth for use?

14573 Scary Numbers
08/01/15 4:30 pm

Not at all. This is talking about a base on the moon. The goods would be produced and used on site. Whether the materials would be available on the moon is unlikely but we're talking about a full time establishment.