gow488 July 30th, 2015 8:14pm

Do you consider yourself part of the middle class?

susanr Colorado
07/30/15 4:34 pm

Sort of, by default. I'm certainly not wealthy and I'm definitely not living in poverty.

alynn Somewhere wonderful
07/30/15 2:19 pm

I'm middle class for my part of the state. In my mom's part of the state, where the cost of housing is about 75% lower, I'd be much better off. For what I pay for my city studio apt, there I could own a gorgeous 4 bedroom home on 20 acres of land.

RVA Uptown, Fan District, RVA
07/30/15 6:21 pm

Well, you're definitely right about that then! You could get a very sizable house/land there.

alynn Somewhere wonderful
07/30/15 6:44 pm

Yes! My parents have 80 acres and a beautiful home on land that was completely undeveloped. They paid twice the market value for 50 of the acres, landscaped, dug a well, and built their home...all for under $200k.

RVA Uptown, Fan District, RVA
07/30/15 6:47 pm

Damn. I'd be lucky to get a lot here for that. In this part of the city, that is. It's funny...I look at the city records for my house and my land is about 3000... Square feet :( What did I pay for!?!

alynn Somewhere wonderful
07/30/15 6:51 pm

I know what you mean! An apt like mine in their area and in the heart of "town" would probably run me $200/month. I pay $1044.

RVA Uptown, Fan District, RVA
07/30/15 7:03 pm

$200 a month is insanely low. I went to JMU. My senior year, we had a 4 bedroom, 4.5 bath, 3 story, 2k sq ft townhouse overlooking the entire "city" AND you could see WVa from the back porch. We paid $425 each ($1700 total). I want those prices back.

alynn Somewhere wonderful
07/30/15 7:06 pm

Yes! When me and the man start looking for a place together, I'm afraid of what the prices will be for a 2BR apt in DC.

RVA Uptown, Fan District, RVA
07/30/15 7:08 pm

The dual income is helpful though. That's why I rent out two bedrooms. Splitting my house three ways is a lot easier. DC is...expensive, though.

alynn Somewhere wonderful
07/30/15 7:13 pm

That's smart!
DC is indeed expensive...but worth it. He makes his living finding affordable housing for others though, so he knows the good deals, and the still affordable but up-and-coming neighborhoods. That should help us a lot!

phen nebraska
07/31/15 4:01 am

According to this chart... Barely

ImageAccess
07/30/15 1:43 pm

How do you define middle class?

Is there an arbitrary earning amount? Is it based on accumulated stuff? Is it about your security status in society?

Curious, because I've always felt poor even though I'm not when compared to others.

gow488 Wisconsin
07/30/15 1:52 pm

I don't think there's a definitive definition to middle class since it's a subjective term so feel free to make up your own definition.

ImageAccess
07/30/15 2:33 pm

Ty Gow/Gem.

According to this, I'm on the supper low end. But this is based solely on income (I'm assuming pretax dollars).

If we're talking physical assets as well? I'm far better off than most Americans. Most don't have a pot to piss in,

ImageAccess
07/30/15 2:35 pm

let alone own the window to throw it out of.

Very deceptive way to calculate, in my opinion. Why? Last I remember reading, the average American has $5k in retirement and $13k in CC debt.