suppressedID July 30th, 2015 7:19pm

A new study uses "willingness-to-pay" to show WHERE people want to live. People are willing to pay a premium for areas that are (map): suburban, sunny, mild, safe, entertaining, and have greater school-funding. Do you agree with the premium criteria?

smartfart Florida
07/30/15 9:03 pm

Yes. I'm one of them. Moved to the best school system in the state (with slightly higher property taxes) just in time for my oldest to enter kindergarten.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
07/30/15 6:47 pm

I don't, because my primary criteria is weather, then weather, and again weather. It isn't working out for me at all this year. After that I look for a remote feel without being isolated, and diversity of outdoor recreational opportunities.

Wino I need a drink
07/30/15 2:26 pm

We just moved. I narrowed the house down by looking at schools, walkability of the location, and commute for husband. I paid a premium, but we value education, and family time.

greeengoddess Minnesota
07/30/15 2:26 pm

Greater school funding is especially important to me, and safety and entertainment are good too. The rest, I could take it or leave it.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
07/30/15 1:23 pm

Of course. I live in Sexton Mountain in Beaverton. It's a LOT cheaper to live in Gresham. Where would you rather live?

suppressedID keep Summer safe
07/30/15 1:53 pm

Well, since I live in Sexton Mountain, too...

Rosebud Ohio
07/30/15 12:50 pm

Absolutely. The town we want to buy a house in will have a place easily 50%-100% more expensive than where we're renting. But, it's older, more diverse, more developed but stable, has great schools, and is closer to more career ops.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
07/30/15 12:41 pm

People can say what they want, but their spending is a more accurate measure of their true values.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
07/30/15 12:44 pm

I paid more to live in a rural area so that I wouldn't have neighbors that I see regularly. It costs me in the form of 2 hours of commuting each day, but it's a fair price for what I get. Small town Oklahoma is safe, quiet, and has small town values.

suppressedID keep Summer safe
07/30/15 1:54 pm

So you're the contrarian who proves the point.
;-)

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
07/30/15 2:03 pm

I love the sound of cows moo'ing in the pasture behind my house, and the yapping of coyotes each evening at dusk as they set out on their hunt. We like to take walks along the road and smell the fresh air.

MadCow True GOP
07/30/15 12:23 pm

Nailed it. There are towns here in Kansas that really have no reason to exist anymore. People just live there because they've always lived there. Bleak.