MeganEllis July 30th, 2015 12:37am

As a adult do you use the value of x or y in your everyday life or am I learning this at school for nothing?

tsd715 New York City
07/29/15 6:13 pm

As a naval architect or any kind of architect there is a lot of algebra involved.

firefly5 the verse
07/30/15 8:44 pm

As a physicist, I'm right there with you.

tsd715 New York City
07/30/15 8:56 pm

Absolutely. Regular architects certainly have their share of physics, but office buildings don't have to float, move at 40 mph, and be able to launch helicopters and missiles at targets on land, sea, and in the air.

Ollie15 young conservative
07/29/15 5:58 pm

Not an adult... But probably depends on your profession.

susanr Colorado
07/29/15 5:53 pm

Sure. You might recognize that you're actually using them, but if you do anything at all with numbers on your life, you will.

Ru12bseen Ignoring the Ignorant
07/30/15 4:31 am

I'll add, as I have on previous polls about learning things that seem like they've no practical purpose, learning the process is in itself worth while. It changes your brain and makes it able to compute and consider things it previously could not

firefly5 the verse
07/30/15 8:45 pm

It's true. Your brain makes connections that you don't realize it's making.

susanr Colorado
07/30/15 8:53 pm

Very true, both of you. I remember being in an analytical chem lab with a guy who was sure he was going to be a neurosurgeon, & was disgusted that he had to "waste" time doing stupid titrations. My brain cycled through about 5 different ways that

susanr Colorado
07/30/15 8:55 pm

doing that exercise might be beneficial to a physician, starting with the obvious about pH levels in the body & going on to things like learning patience and how to do things very very carefully. I have the same lack of empathy for people who just

susanr Colorado
07/30/15 8:57 pm

don't "get it" that learning a foreign language isn't all about how to order in a restaurant if you vacation in Italy, or getting a job translating. But then I'm a proponent of education for the sake of stretching your brain and general knowledge and

susanr Colorado
07/30/15 8:58 pm

being a better citizen of the world anyway l, no matter what your job or profession ends up being, & that seems to be a pretty unpopular opinion these days. (Sky-high tuition rates aren't helping my cause, either.)