Squidboy July 29th, 2015 7:37pm

You work in a job that mandates regular fitness tests (police, fire, military, etc). During a group test you see some of your out of shape co-workers cheating so they can pass. Do you say anything about it to your superiors or let it slide?

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/29/15 10:50 pm

I changed my vote from ignored to report considering you said something like fireman your police especially with firemen you need to be in shape people died when that's doesn't happen.

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
07/29/15 7:40 pm

Report them. Being out of shape in certain professions can cause deaths due to not being able to take the physical demands. Harsh but the reality.

Abolitionist Voice of the people
07/29/15 7:39 pm

Unless it directly affects my job, I mind my own business and let people get themselves in trouble.

KatG Liberal in Ohio
07/29/15 8:32 pm

In the jobs listed, I'd say it would affect you since they are the people who will have your back.

Kozmycz44
07/29/15 6:57 pm

Depends, even in the military not all MOSs (jobs) are physically demanding. That being said, I would then help them improve so they pass the next one. If they continue failing I report them

Mattlajoie83 Semi Charmed Life
07/29/15 6:23 pm

Think if u were the citizen would u want a out of shape cop running after someone that stole your valuables

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
07/29/15 7:41 pm

Or an out of shape firefighter running into a burning building to save your life, in that case seconds matter.

presrvd Phoenix
07/29/15 5:52 pm

Definitely call them out. Integrity first.

Korosensei Maine
07/29/15 4:35 pm

Report it they are responsible for protecting people's lives I don't want someone to die because my co-worker couldn't carry them out of a burning building

dessy Indiana cornfield
07/29/15 4:16 pm

Military, fire, police? Best report them tbh

Eaglepower
07/29/15 4:14 pm

I can't let it slide if people lives are on the line

polster2 US
07/29/15 3:39 pm

It's a matter of public safety. Report it.

LostTexan42 Deal With It
07/29/15 3:31 pm

I'd report it, but most of my superiors in the military cheated to pass their tests… yet they had the audacity to preach integrity.

PyroSadist like my comments follow
07/29/15 5:01 pm

Yeah that's true. In my 25 years in the Army I saw countless senior NCOs and Mid to high grade officers "pencil whip" their PT test and/or BS their tape test

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
07/29/15 6:11 pm

Yep, that was my experience too and it inspired the question. It really ticked me off, but reporting people got you nowhere fast. I let it slide....

PyroSadist like my comments follow
07/29/15 6:19 pm

It happened on a regular basis. Usually was just the desk jockeys and REMFs (I was one too)

Tesla Florida
07/29/15 2:51 pm

Report. If they slack off it could endanger lives.

azco
07/29/15 2:37 pm

A firemen force is a team effort. They cheat they let the whole team down. Peoples lives could be at risk or harmed because they aren't fit.

packers1 Wisconsin
07/29/15 2:09 pm

Putting lives in harms way because of individuals laziness is a pretty serious offense, in my book.

sydwel
07/29/15 1:59 pm

I would say something to the group first, and then report it to the supervisor if they didn't immediately get it together.

jvc1133 61535
07/29/15 1:23 pm

I'd say something aloud during the test.

bethanyq Ess Eff
07/29/15 1:18 pm

There's only so much "cheating" you can do for a fitness test. If the test can be gamed, frankly, that's a problem with the test itself.

PyroSadist like my comments follow
07/29/15 5:03 pm

Sometimes the cheating is counting a pushup or two that shouldn't count. Sometimes it's just out and out lying about how many were done.

bethanyq Ess Eff
07/29/15 6:22 pm

Then it's a bad test. First, it shouldn't rely on self-reporting and should have attentive proctors. Second, if quality is a factor, you need to objectively test the quality as well and not just the quantity.

So I still say the test is the problem.

PyroSadist like my comments follow
07/29/15 6:26 pm

No because you have to allow for not only human error but also judgement. Sometimes what I didn't count as a minimally acceptable pushup another grader would have said it was ok...the same goes for situps. The only part of the pt test that is not at

PyroSadist like my comments follow
07/29/15 6:30 pm

least somewhat subjective is the 2 mile run. Either you stayed on the track or not. Either you started when when the person with the stopwatch said start or not. Either you crossed the finish line before your allotted time passed or not. Simple.

bethanyq Ess Eff
07/29/15 6:32 pm

If the test criteria can be interpreted differently from judge to judge, then either the criteria are poorly described or they are not bona fide job requirements.

PyroSadist like my comments follow
07/29/15 6:42 pm

Again, it's somewhat subjective. Did the arm go at least parallel to the ground or was it off by a degree or two? it is not 100% black and white

bethanyq Ess Eff
07/29/15 7:10 pm

Sure, but my point is that if the difference is material and people are nonetheless able toe cheat, then there's a failure in the test. If the difference isn't material, or if you can't cheat, then there's no problem.

PyroSadist like my comments follow
07/29/15 7:14 pm

Anytime one person can exert pressure on another there is that possibility

mc88 Cleveland OSU
07/29/15 1:15 pm

I would probably tell them to get their shit together, or I will report them next time

mtbRIDER Gone riding...
07/29/15 12:41 pm

I'm turning them in. There is a good chance that my life could be jeopardized by their lack of fitness and I'm not about to put myself in harm's way because they are too lazy and feel that cheating in this scenario is ok.

TomM
07/29/15 12:55 pm

This is what I was going to say too.

iMatter2 I Used to Love H.E.R.
07/29/15 3:36 pm

Some of the "cheaters" in this kind of scenario are also some the finest and exemplary Marines I had the honor of serving with...

mtbRIDER Gone riding...
07/29/15 3:37 pm

Are you referring to Marines who are "Out of shape?"

iMatter2 I Used to Love H.E.R.
07/29/15 3:40 pm

Marine Corps standards are very different from other branches. That's one of the things that set us spart. Very seldom will you find a Marine who is "out of shape". If you can't meet certain requirements, your time in the Corps will be short-lived.

iMatter2 I Used to Love H.E.R.
07/29/15 3:43 pm

Cheating in these sort of events wasn't so much a matter of fitness, it usually happened after a good night involving adult beverages

iMatter2 I Used to Love H.E.R.
07/29/15 3:47 pm

Did I say cheating, I meant tactically improvising 😇

mtbRIDER Gone riding...
07/29/15 3:48 pm

I see what you are saying and I do agree that Marines are in excellent physical shape, but the question was referring to those who are "out of shape" and cheating to basically keep their job. I don't see Marines letting it get to this point though 👍