kimberlyhope July 28th, 2015 10:28pm

Why is it when a cop gets in trouble, they get a paid vacation? I understand they have to investigate, but if they do and the cop is found not at fault, the cop can be paid afterwards. Am I right?

lovesquirt Hawkeyes
08/03/15 11:12 am

Some say it's been like this for a long time and now we're exposed to it because of all the new tech and social media.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
07/31/15 8:17 pm

a teacher gets caught having sex with a student, they get put on administrative leave. Why? They caught them. That confuses me. A cop gets caught doing something they shouldn't be doing, same thing. Fire them.

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
07/28/15 5:44 pm

Are their children supposed to starve in the meantime?

sentiment Texas
07/28/15 5:42 pm

Four words ... innocent until proven guilty. People have bills to pay they don't stop to vet out frivolous claims.

Vayl Reason over common sense
08/03/15 10:29 am

That's what I thought too at first, until I read "if the cop is found not at fault, they can be paid afterwards." This solves both the innocent until proven guilty problem, and the problem with the cop getting a paid vacation out of the investigation

sentiment Texas
08/03/15 2:46 pm

It depends on how long the arbitrations go on.

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
07/28/15 4:32 pm

Unions. Just like teachers and any other heavily unionized profession, the union ensures they get paid until the investigation is complete.

susanr Colorado
07/28/15 3:40 pm

I imagine that, like with citizens in general, there's a presumption of innocence. And cops have to pay bills like everyone else. I'm not unhappy with them being suspended with pay.

Also, I'd hardly call it a "paid vacation." Whether or not they

susanr Colorado
07/28/15 3:40 pm

did anything wrong, and whether or not it can be proven, they're probably not having a lot of fun, or spending time at a resort. Plus, these days, they may well be under extreme public scrutiny.