Squidboy July 28th, 2015 12:53am

Jeb Bush said 'Job security is one thing; job entitlement is another. And every time a federal employee needs to be moved along, it shouldn't be a federal case.' Do you agree with Jeb?

suppressedID keep Summer safe
07/27/15 9:10 pm

Put the conditions in place for government and clear out the deadwood.

And teachers.

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
07/27/15 7:50 pm

As a federal employee, I completely agree. Bad performers should be able to be fired. It takes way too long to make it happen and HR often makes it impossible with the amount of paperwork required.

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
07/27/15 7:51 pm

I've been in the Gov 6 years and I'm already out performing people with twice the experience. It pisses me off that they don't get written up and eventually fired.

suppressedID keep Summer safe
07/27/15 9:07 pm

There are really good people working in government. It's a pity that they're overshadowed by people who have just checked out.

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
07/28/15 4:46 am

That is very true. There are four other people in my group with more experience than me; however, my boss only trusts me bc I have the whatever it takes mentality (which my boss has to and works more hours than anyone). It's frustrating!

RedDye40 Way Over Yonder
07/28/15 6:42 am

Same here! I do believe that people should be given opportunities to improve - but, after three-strikes you're out. It's especially difficult to motivate employees (w/o incentives) knowing that they know it's very difficult to let them go.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
07/28/15 7:28 am

I had many opps to work for government when I left the USN, turned them all down. I had enough. I couldn't work for any organization that allowed people to be completely negligent & incompetent and still get paid the same as someone who worked hard.

suppressedID keep Summer safe
07/28/15 7:34 am

Every workplace has career people who are just mailing it in.

But the public sector is prevented from giving bonuses and merit raises for staff. That would easily start to separate the wheat from the chaff and put gvt back on track.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
07/28/15 7:41 am

Slackers don't last long here. I could write a novel on the malfeasance & sloth I witnessed in the USN. You could make a decades long career of sleeping on the job, being drunk at work, smoking weed and more. Sure, you will never get promoted....

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
07/28/15 7:42 am

But lots of people are happy with $25/hr plus benefits and a healthy pension.

suppressedID keep Summer safe
07/28/15 7:57 am

Agreed. You can't teach initiative.

And as my old Economics professor used to say: the world still needs hamburger flippers.

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
07/28/15 3:29 pm

A coworker who's worked there a few years longer than I makes more. He couldn't hack the job and stress so he transferred into another position. Kept his pay. So he does half the work, has half the stress and still makes more than me!

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
07/28/15 3:32 pm

I've risen to be #1 in my division, my boss gives me as much room as possible. I get larger bonuses than everyone else, I telework more, I'm left alone, but I have more work and have harder work. Still sucks I'm not the top paid though.

HappyLez No Worries... Be Happy
07/27/15 6:34 pm

Lol.... When I think of Entitlements, I think of Congress

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
07/27/15 6:01 pm

Absolutely. You shouldn't need a permission slip from an ALJ every time you want to fire a bad employee.