smarttexan July 25th, 2015 5:47pm

A study out of Luxembourg found that kids who defied authority were likely to earn more as adults (when iq, education etc were normalized). Will your kids earn more as adults? If you don't have kids, think of a kid you know.

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
07/26/15 8:00 pm

They better be. Someone's got to take care of me when I go (even more) senile.

twss trump is a garbage human
07/26/15 6:36 pm

Even though it's frustrating and often maddening, I'm thankful that my sons can be little anarchists. They'll take the world by the tail someday.

PresWK Minnesota
07/25/15 8:13 pm

So if I've been a little shit my whole life does that mean I'm more likely to be rolling in the dough later? Nice.

SticksandStones Proud Prude
07/25/15 5:14 pm

As a child, I don't defy authority pointlessly. I guess I'll make less money, but I'd rather not do stupid things simply because I'm told not to do stupid things.

melmeltx funky town, texas
07/25/15 3:35 pm

I would consider that true... risk taking can pay off big in career, if you can manage that risk (aka don't get in TOO much trouble) in adolescence and actually get to the career.

sea California
07/25/15 1:59 pm

This is true. Nobody is looking out for you except for you. So if you don't advocate for yourself you won't get as far financially.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
07/25/15 12:25 pm

My older has potential. She's attending MCAD for furniture design and planning to sell independently.

My youngest does exactly what I told her not to do right after I told her. She'll probably become a Walton.

TierasPet
07/25/15 12:01 pm

Mine definitely should and apparently so should I. :)

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
07/25/15 11:38 am

This is true. Defiant kids become leaders. Compliant ones become civil servants. Of my kids....one was defiant and has excelled, the other ....not as well.

kermie gaytopia
07/25/15 12:30 pm

What's wrong with being a civil servant?

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
07/25/15 12:38 pm

Nothing. The question correlated a behavior to income. Public employees typically don't take as many risks as someone in business, or earn as much. People who defy authority are more often entrepreneurial and earn higher incomes. I've been both.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
07/25/15 12:39 pm

In public sector my extra effort and creativity were not rewarded. I've become wealthy working in private sector technology.

sea California
07/25/15 1:57 pm

They either become leaders, or they just end up in jail.

wolf124 California
07/25/15 11:25 am

I'm not sure I believe the results. In my experience the kids who defied authority spent more time in jail than earning a living.

smarttexan More Moderate Than U
07/25/15 12:00 pm

Well, I'm not sure it meant criminal defiance. Maybe just questioning and ignoring. Not setting the house on fire or killing the family pets.

wolf124 California
07/25/15 12:03 pm

Ah...i see. I was thinking the extreme.