JustBob July 25th, 2015 1:42am

Jim spends every weekend cooking for the homeless. The entire time he's cooking, he's smoking cigarettes, ashes sprinkling the burgers and what not. He's declined several requests to stop and now folks are trying to shut him down. Should they?

AJ13
07/28/15 1:47 pm

Sadly Jim is his own worst enemy. The smoking undermines the entire operation due to lack of cleanliness.

willow
07/27/15 6:07 pm

If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Starkey Nashville,TN
07/27/15 2:28 pm

No. The public should be informed, and if they want to continue eating his food...so be it.

monstermom Washington
07/27/15 9:29 am

64% would rather them go hungry. Wow...

AJ13
07/28/15 1:52 pm

We are assuming that Jim does not have a disease (i.e. HIV or Hepatitis). Hungry for a weekend is better than dead because you can't afford the medicine to control the disease. Jim is his own worst enemy by negating the work by being unsanitary.

monstermom Washington
07/28/15 2:01 pm

Excuse me? Ashes now becomes a terminal illness? Clearly you need a battle, someone giving away free food to homeless is your battle because they don't comply with your standards? Lol Alrighty.

EndTheFediFunny Iowa
07/27/15 8:21 am

Beggars can't be choosers.

ThePoliticizer Louisiana
07/27/15 9:12 am

Lol I guess you're not homeless

LeDerpityDerp We are not our failures
07/27/15 10:57 am

I have a feeling that the guy cooking really doesn't care too much if he can't do one thing..

ThePoliticizer Louisiana
07/26/15 6:48 pm

Ashy food or no food. The homeless can turn down the food if they want.

ChristianCuber Texas
07/26/15 4:29 pm

The beggar should just shut up and accept the free meal

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/27/15 10:59 am

The "beggars" are probably fine with it. Some outside/unconnected source saw it and got their panties in an offended twist. That's usually how these things go.

Ash28 USA
07/26/15 11:47 am

I always love a sprinkling of tobacco on my burgers! You keep being you, Jim.

badattitude no place like home
07/26/15 9:32 am

The only ones that mind should be the ones he's cooking for. The other choice they have is food from the dumpster.

McGreg0r
07/26/15 12:37 am

No...just stop eating his food...duh.

trollthepoll Pro Choice
07/25/15 11:03 pm

Still cleaner than letting them dog out of the trash. "Beggars can't be chooser"

MartyMcFlyx
07/25/15 8:54 pm

Jim is providing a service voluntarily and for no charge. Perhaps some homeless people prefer unsanitary food over none at all.

Mary05 who is that behind you
07/25/15 5:49 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Jim . . . tisk, tisk . . .

desss
07/25/15 2:32 pm

What if he cooked them at home? It never said he was at the shelter. So does that mean that I need to adhere to health codes when I cook at home? I can't dip my spoon in the ice cream then the cake batter without washing it?

johnnycub Bronx
07/25/15 7:02 pm

The question implies that he's not doing it at home.

EarlyBird Portland
07/25/15 11:39 am

Ask a homeless person if they'd rather have soup from the local shelter or a freshly cooked hamburger that might have a cigarette ash in it. 😃

I think Jim should be left alone.

Handstand .
07/25/15 10:31 am

For the record, I've had far nastier things in my mouth than a little cigarette ash.

Handstand .
07/25/15 10:28 am

The homeless are fortunate to have someone willing to take his time and use his resources to feed them. If and when they decide they don't want to eat the food, they won't.

joejoeiv Utah
07/25/15 10:09 am

He is giving the food away for free it is not a business exchange, so if the people receiving the food have a problem with it they can choose to not receive the food.

07/25/15 9:55 am

It violates health code. We have laws for a reason here, people. If you can't abide by health codes, you have no reason to run a restaurant.

Handstand .
07/25/15 10:22 am

He's not selling the burgers. He's giving them for free. Do you have to pass health codes when you have people over for dinner?

Didn't think so.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/25/15 10:35 am

Great point, I was thinking of reasking where Jim is having a neighborhood BBQ in the park and smoking away

Handstand .
07/25/15 10:35 am

Thank you bob.

07/25/15 10:40 am

He still runs a place in public for people to eat, free or not. If it were a dinner party, it is not inviting all of the public over. Jim is allowing everyonr over. Therefore healthcode laws need to be enforced.

Handstand .
07/25/15 10:42 am

Lemonade stands across America should be shut down!

07/25/15 10:45 am

Again, children selling lemonade do not have to follow code. They are not running a business. Same with teenagers being babysitters. It is when it becomes a business that it needs to follow code. In the case of Jim, it is a business.

davidwhite1 Building it Bigger
07/25/15 11:02 am

Put up a small sign that says this food does not comform to public health code standards; then let the consumer decide if they care or not.

RedHale Texas
07/25/15 11:06 am

Jim isn't running a business either, he's even making less money off it than the kids with lemonade stands! All Jim is doing is trying to give food to people who need it. No one has to take the food.

07/25/15 11:07 am

Jim is running a business more than the child. The child's will likely last for about a week or two. He needs to conform. We have laws here that everyone must obey who has a business. If he doesn't like, he can cook for his own neighbors.

RedHale Texas
07/25/15 11:26 am

So if a child was to have a lemonade stand every Saturday, you'd shut them down too?

07/25/15 11:28 am

If they were breaking a health code that severe and refused to do anything to rectify it, yes, I would. It's not hard to fix the problem here. It takes a little consideration and respect for both the law and the people he is serving.

RedHale Texas
07/25/15 11:35 am

The health code Jim broke honestly wasn't that severe, it probably made the burgers taste pretty crappy but that's about it.

07/25/15 11:37 am

He should not be permitted to break the law and violate health code because he wants to. He can also not be allowed to follow whatever laws he wants because he is giving food out for free. He can follow the laws like everyone else.

07/25/15 11:41 am

Yes, he should. He is, again, running a business of serving food to the public, even if it is for free.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/25/15 11:43 am

Ooo, harsh, those things cost money, that is like telling Jim he needs to pay the city for the privilege of feeding homeless people

RedHale Texas
07/25/15 1:00 pm

If I were Jim I would say it's just a hobby of mine to make hamburgers and I just happen to set them on this table before throwing them away and the homeless people are just eating my trash. You don't need a license to have a hobby.

07/25/15 1:16 pm

If he cannot follow health code regulations, he doesn't need to feed the people. He can find a new job.

RedHale Texas
07/25/15 1:53 pm

It's not a job. If anything it should be considered volunteer work.

07/25/15 1:55 pm

Even volunteers have to follow health codes. It's simply following the rules. It seems he feels he is above the law because he's not selling them.

unforgivnn
07/25/15 4:38 pm

It's fun reading the comments and watch poppunk constantly trying to adjust to make his argument. My personal favorite is that kids may have a business for lemonade, but since they won't last, it's different. How convenient!

unforgivnn
07/25/15 4:38 pm

This doesn't sound like a business. I rather doubt Jim is incorporated. So that argument is out. How about this...if you see Jim smoking while cooking and you don't like it, don't eat the hamburgers!

07/25/15 4:47 pm

I'm not and have not changed my argument. The fact that you must resort to personal demeaning tactics to get a point across makes me feel as though your point isn't all too strong. Talk with me again when you can remain civil. Goodbye

unforgivnn
07/25/15 4:54 pm

I'm not personally demeaning you. I'm pointing out inconsistencies in what you've said. I haven't called you a name or insulted you. My comments were entirely civil.

unforgivnn
07/25/15 4:54 pm

You stated that he is a business and must follow the code. He isn't a business. You said a kid's lemonade stand will "likely last a week or two", implying they are exempt. You implied Jim's "business" is more of a business than a lemonade stand.

unforgivnn
07/25/15 4:54 pm

I was unaware that some businesses are true businesses and some are only kinda businesses. Later, you changed and said kids must follow the code too at a lemonade stand.

unforgivnn
07/25/15 4:54 pm

Again, nothing here is a slander against you personally. I haven't called you an idiot or anything, nor will I. I'm simply deconstructing your argument. I'm sorry if you do not see the difference.

07/25/15 4:56 pm

I, again, have not changed my argument. Just because certain circumstances are different does not mean I was inconsisten. I apologize if you fail to see that.

unforgivnn
07/25/15 5:03 pm

So since Jim is giving food away to the homeless (and he is *not* operating a business - he isn't incorporated, etc), what law is he violating? And why can't people simply walk away if they don't like his cooking practices?

07/25/15 5:05 pm

Okay, assuming laws mean nothing to volunteers *serving* the public, key word serving, they should still have the respect to uphold health code for those people. Smoking violates health code. Since he is serving the public, he needs to obey it.

RedHale Texas
07/25/15 9:46 am

If they don't want his burgers they aren't being forced to eat them. Don't hurt those that want the burgers just because you don't like them.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
07/25/15 9:11 am

If he can't follow standard health code practices, he has no business making food for the public regardless if he's selling it or giving it away.

Handstand .
07/25/15 10:25 am

So it's in the interest of the homeless to go hungry, rather than take a chance an ash might find its way into his burger.
Got it!

rons on top of the world MA
07/25/15 8:48 am

He should switch to pot! Problem solved.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/25/15 6:06 am

It's not the 1970s. Shut him down. Or just remove Jim.

yeast Story Time
07/24/15 10:23 pm

Just put it in a garbage can or dumpster. Problem solved.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
07/24/15 9:48 pm

I volunteer at a homeless shelter and we serve means. We have to adhere to all the same health and food safety regulations that a restaurant does or we get shut down.

Wes28 CBus
07/24/15 8:54 pm

As long as the people eating are AWARE and still choose to eat the food, no he shouldn't have to stop.

Rosebud Ohio
07/24/15 8:26 pm

He needs to get in trouble with the health department... That's quite unsanitary. Health codes are there for a reason and I can't imagine that's not breaking at least one.
Ideally, someone else would step in as cook either temp or permanently.

TierasPet
07/25/15 4:26 am

There is a code here prohibiting that and it's a huge violation.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/24/15 8:15 pm

House until he stops violating health code

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
07/24/15 7:52 pm

Who is "they"?

The arrangement here is between Jim and his "customers."
They can easily "shut him down" by not taking his free food.
If they're still taking his food, then they must feel ashy food is better than no food.

MogoshKatz Wisconsin
07/24/15 7:41 pm

I'm surprised at the number of people who don't feel the homeless people he is serving deserve uncontaminated food. I don't smoke, I sure as heck don't want someone's ashes in my food.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
07/24/15 7:43 pm

I'm not aware of it being a health risk. Not eating on the other hand... So it's not for a lack of compassion. I've worked in food shelters, people need food. A lot of the clients probably wouldn't like the ash, but it's better than not eating.

MogoshKatz Wisconsin
07/24/15 7:46 pm

So because they are eating for free they don't deserve uncontaminated food? Especially when it would be easily avoided by simply not smoking while preparing the food? To me, it's a matter of having respect for who you are serving.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
07/24/15 9:09 pm

If the question is, close down, or continue serving with ash, my answer is unequivocally continue with ash. There is no hypothetical other food shelters to feed the hungry, and so I assume they have little option if they're eating there already.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
07/24/15 9:10 pm

If closing it down means they get an alternative food source, sure, shut it down. That's not how I interpret it, and judging by Bob's comments below, it's seems to be the intended interpretation.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
07/24/15 7:33 pm

"Mmmmm. Just like gramma used to make."

Zod Above Pugetropolis
07/24/15 7:09 pm

Are his customers complaining? Because he isn't doing anything the cooks and chefs I worked with in the 70s didn't do every day. I don't remember ever seeing one of the older broiler cooks without a cigarette in his mouth. Didn't hurt anything.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/24/15 7:16 pm

Yeah, I was trying to make it seem as it was some of the customers asking him to stop smoking

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/24/15 7:17 pm

And then attempting to shut him down for refusing

Zod Above Pugetropolis
07/24/15 7:32 pm

I took it to mean third parties, not the homeless themselves. But these days there probably is some kind of health department rule against it, and they probably can force him to stop. A few ashes still aren't hurting anything though.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/24/15 7:33 pm

I am surprised at the amount that would rather the people eat nothing at all than to eat ashy burgers

Zod Above Pugetropolis
07/24/15 7:37 pm

They wouldn't like the one I ate yesterday then. I had a flipping failure and watched dinner go through the grill like a quarter in a coin slot. Dug it out with the tongs, brushed it off, and hit it with extra fire to kill the cooties. Good as new.

rons on top of the world MA
07/25/15 8:52 am

Better then dumpster diving for a meal.

rons on top of the world MA
07/25/15 8:53 am

Zod, many a fine cook grill steaks directly on the coals. And do what you did. Not too many cooties live thru it.

rickvee Living the dream
07/24/15 7:06 pm

The perfect time for the phrase "beggars can't be choosers".

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
07/25/15 6:05 am

But they can ask to be respected.

rickvee Living the dream
07/25/15 8:10 am

They're getting free food. Not to mention, you wouldn't be able to taste ash in the amount of food he'd be cooking. If it was a cigarette's worth in one item like a burger or bowl of soup maybe, but not in a larger quantity.

rickvee Living the dream
07/25/15 8:10 am

I know from experience... I've dropped ash in my own food while cooking a few times.

LochnessMonster Milky way
07/24/15 7:02 pm

If they don't eat it they must not be very hungry.

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
07/24/15 6:44 pm

Food = legal.
Tobacco = legal.

I don't see a problem nor do I see a basis for the government to intervene given that his food is free.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
07/24/15 6:50 pm

Or some sort of other unsanitary conditions, like serving salad with his hands, coated in what appears to be blood and some unidentified yellow substance?

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
07/24/15 6:55 pm

We wouldn't want an HIV outbreak in the city's homeless population now, would we?

mc88 Cleveland OSU