Show Of Hands October 29th, 2012 12:00am

Would you be better at a job in sales, or customer service?

db4of4
11/03/12 5:38 am

You are right but it is the 2nd time in two years

habibicharles
10/31/12 9:02 am

I'm in the wedding industry, and I've been so blessed with amazing couples. Making them happy & giving them a quality product makes me happy. But in the beginning I still have to sell my services, but I hope my work & my personality sells it for me. Asking for $ always makes me feel uncomfortable.

habibicharles
10/31/12 8:54 am

What if the product was good but over priced and way too expensive? That's what my situation was.. And too much pressure to sell.

Evan812
10/30/12 11:29 pm

I hope everyone knows this isn't the first time in recorded history a tropical storm has hit the northeast...

kaik12 Twin Cities, MN
10/30/12 10:35 pm

I had to do both as a hostess at a restaurant, and I excelled at both. However, I would prefer customer service. I'd rather be helping people than trying to make a quick sale, and I wouldn't like trying to meet a quota.

Weave77 Indianapolis
10/30/12 2:51 pm

I think I could be successful in either (I've been told that I have excellent people skills), but my conscience would rest a lot easier if I worked in customer service rather than sales... I feel a lot better helping people than selling them crap that they don't need/can't afford.

Pacific
10/30/12 12:33 pm

Sales, id just use duct tape to tape stuff to people, and if they dont buy anything, leave it there so when they leave with that device, they will be charged with robbery unless they pay for it

virginia1
10/30/12 10:37 am

I would be good at both if it was a good product. I would do poorly at both if the product was lousy.

hippiedude fields of green
10/30/12 9:35 am

I hate selling stuff, but customer service is even worse. There are so many assholes

FaceMoose Over There
10/30/12 8:27 am

There's an element to selling that is not part of straight customer service. The trying to convince someone that they need a product is difficult if you are not already well suited for it. Some people can sell ice to an Eskimo. Most people, however, cannot.

FaceMoose Over There
10/30/12 8:24 am

Sales is exhausting and sucks monkey balls. Customer service is slightly less exhausting and in a different way. In customer service yes you get more angry customers, but you also get better stories to tell later. Plus I just don't have the personality for selling.

Harrith2
10/30/12 7:40 am

What's the difference? If you're good at sales, you are focused on serving the customer.

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
10/30/12 7:27 am

neither..salespeople are slimy and lie but I'm too lazy to even try to sell anything. And customer service, people can be rude and abusive. I'd be quick to tell someone to #$@! off and get fired.

wirenerd Somersworth
10/30/12 6:50 am

To me, sales is about trying to get people to buy things that they don't need, while customer support/service is about helping those people get a refund for the things they bought but didn't need. Therefore, I would much rather work in customer support/service.

10/30/12 6:26 am

I'd be terrible at both. In sales you lie to people, in customer service people yell and lie at you. Both make me die a little inside.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/30/12 4:29 am

I have been offered so many sales jobs it's not funny but I also like doing customer service.

christine1986
10/30/12 4:28 am

Both are service jobs dealing with customers. I think they would both be terrible. But as I have worked sales before and I know for a fact it's lame I choose service.

clux40
10/30/12 3:29 am

I have 0 patience. At least in sales I don't have to deal with everyone's problems.

habibicharles
10/30/12 12:18 am

100% can relate. Nothing like doing your best to make people become fans of what you do. Sales feels sleazy..

habibicharles
10/30/12 12:16 am

I've always sucked at sales, but loved connecting with clients/customers & making them happy, which was exactly why I was let go from Jenny Craig. They want more focus on sales than weight loss & the client.

2katz I live in Nebraska
10/30/12 12:13 am

In fact, just today I got a second job in customer service. Looking forward to getting started.

FreeBird1
10/29/12 11:20 pm

At least in sales I'm the annoyer and not the annoyee.

akgoat UniversityofAlaska
10/29/12 10:13 pm

I sell ice to the Eskimos.

heatherlin
10/29/12 10:02 pm

Sales, my mom is a realtor and my dad is a business owner so it's kind of in my blood and I always beat everyone in fundraisers in elementary and middle school.

prterri
10/29/12 9:24 pm

I was awful at sales when I tried it. I am incredibly good at customer service. I enjoy making people happy, and if selling them something is part of that I can do it. But getting someone to buy something they don't want or need just so I get a commission isn't my thing.

JanuaryLove
10/29/12 8:54 pm

I am fascinated by the percentage of under 21s who think they would be good salespeople. Is this because they haven't yet been rejected 100,000 times?

I despise sales, but do well in customer service situations. Thank God I am able to stay home and raise kids and not have to be in either position.

commonsense America isnt racist
10/29/12 8:46 pm

They are both horrible.

dabrat East Coast
10/29/12 8:41 pm

Both require the same skills/philosophies - listening and delivering, sales is all about customer service.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
10/29/12 8:35 pm

Stupid question. Sales is mostly customer service.

AnnieM The Island
10/29/12 8:30 pm

I am not a good saleswoman. I never was good at that. Customer service, on the other hand, well, nearly every job I've ever had if I wasn't hired to be high up on the customer service ladder, I was put there quickly. I seem to have a knack for making people feel welcome & diffusing tense situations.

suro New York
10/29/12 8:25 pm

Neither, really. Would prefer not to deal with the general public like that.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
10/29/12 8:18 pm

I can sell a fish a glass of water

KudosToYou California
10/29/12 8:14 pm

I wouldn't be able to stand the nasty people. Put me in sales, it'll take a bit but I can get over being shy.

KudosToYou California
10/29/12 8:13 pm

Funny way of showing it.

snafu Washington
10/29/12 8:09 pm

I suck at sales, I was a banker once and hated every minute of it, felt like a used car sales person when I was pressured by management to shove accounts, loans, etc. down people's throats. That's why I got out of banking.

moonshot More often I know nothing
10/29/12 8:08 pm

Sales is all about building relationships and solving problems. It's also one of the highest paid professions in the world.

curtron basement of the Alamo
10/29/12 8:07 pm

I hate people, so probably deceiving them in sales.

kjos PNW
10/29/12 7:55 pm

Some day I'll get 'FIRST.' I'll finally know what it like. I can't wait. Oh, wait. I don't care. I'm not 12.

kjos PNW
10/29/12 7:51 pm

Now I am.

alfy21
10/29/12 7:42 pm

Aren't they very much alike?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/29/12 7:39 pm

I couldn't sell a bucket of cold water to a guy with his pants on fire, but I could help him fix his problem. I love customer service and the challenge and reward if doing it. I hate the mind-numbing boredom of sales - if the product was worth selling, it would sell itself without my help.

hippiechick North Carolina
10/29/12 7:39 pm

I'm a horrible sales person, but I'm good at keeping a smile on my face and being polite to mean and nasty people.

tamtam
10/29/12 7:39 pm

Now I'm first :)

nnayllek Cliffs of Insanity
10/29/12 7:33 pm

Been there, done that for both. Neither is easy, but sales is less likely to make you want to off-yourself at the end of the day.

Wert A picture of my junk
10/29/12 7:28 pm

Who said it needs to be political?