Show Of Hands August 28th, 2012 12:00am

If you won a $20 million lottery, would you continue to work half-time or more doing something you love, or retire and lead a life of leisure?

SillyNiner New York
09/04/12 11:14 am

I'd be bored if I didn't and plus I'd be afraid I'd lose everything due to crazy spending g or lousy economy or stupid politicians ruining the country....God I hate my imagination lol

09/04/12 1:40 am

I would go crazy but everything have so much fun ^_^

Go broke :(

End up working again

jamjay Atlanta, Ga
09/02/12 2:20 pm

Work after a couple of years.
Too young to do nothing all day for ever.

jms in the middle of Nowhere
09/01/12 2:06 pm

stephie- that's one of my dreams!!! I looked into it a year or so ago and a 6-month, around the world cruise was about $22,000/person!! When you don't have car payments, rent, utilities, etc, it's not a bad price. But I would go nuts with the shopping so I would have to figure in about $50K for me!!

stephie4 Shockadelica
08/31/12 11:12 pm

I only work from home for like ten hours a week so I have some extra $ to support my shoe habit, so I definitely wouldn't work. I'm pretty sure I could get my husband to quit his job so we could take an around the world cruise.

EIT Near You
08/31/12 4:59 am

I'd probably stop working in my immediate field and do something I really love instead. Nevertheless I'd still work! Challenge the mind, that's the only way to surely keep the brain healthy!

TheClan09
08/30/12 10:34 pm

Working isn't enough, double the job+ million of any number is enough to pay the grocery bill a year. A billion maybe 3 months.

Dream Hogwarts
08/30/12 10:31 pm

I'm 13, almost 14, that wouldn't last me until retirement!

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
08/30/12 9:40 pm

I'd keep working. I'd pay all my debts off and help my family, but I wouldn't stop working.

joyfully
08/30/12 8:10 pm

I am a full time college student right now so if I won that kind of money right now I would go from full time and i will have the money to move out of my dad house and get my own place and a car I would be able to only have to care for myself and not my dad and brother

cowboy Doors of Perception
08/30/12 6:41 am

@HGolightly 20 million doesn't go as far as it used to? What the hell man? You have to be pretty rich to say something so arrogant. If you can't have 20 million and make something out of it, there's something seriously wrong with you.

sally123
08/29/12 10:55 pm

fetal development. But alas I got cancer when I was young so any money my parents saved for college went to my deductible year after year.... Must be nice to have state insurance!!!!

sally123
08/29/12 10:52 pm

I answered play because it would mean the absolute world to me although some may see it as work. I would spend the money on tuition so I could get a bachelors in chemistry then go on to get a masters in public health and hopefully do research on the effects environmental toxins have on...

drheadman Nowhere in Particular...
08/29/12 10:26 pm

Can I do both? I love my job and don't see it as work. Twenty mil isn't too shabby. A normal person could live the rest of their life with that kind of money. I would still need some extra cash, as I live a swanky lifestyle...

HGolightly California
08/29/12 9:52 pm

20 mil does not go as far as it used to, especially in LA and after paying taxes assuming 20 mil is before taxes. I would have to work at least part time.

uturn55 Florida
08/29/12 5:27 pm

Either way, my point was, that it wasn't at all the fault of any Baby Booming, those people paid into it just like everyone else, and what's-her-face was just being ignorant and evil.

uturn55 Florida
08/29/12 5:23 pm

Now it's not just the kids today getting the shaft, but those just going into retirement now are equally screwed. They are now trying to implement a new plan where we can have more control over our SS funds and today's kids just might have it a little better at retirement age if that happens.

uturn55 Florida
08/29/12 5:18 pm

@lovejoy, No it doesn't sound familiar at all. Social security was set up as its own department and was supposed to take care of us after age 62. But the government borrowed from it some time ago figuring it would be replaced later. They went further into debt, never did pay it back,

MrWalrus Undergrid
08/29/12 5:07 pm

Uturn55. Actually what happened is that one year after the Federal Government started Social Security, they said it would be a tax. So in reality, it was never there. Sound familiar?

MrWalrus Undergrid
08/29/12 5:04 pm

After taxes and a good investment portfolio, I could get $600,000 to $700,000 a year in interest. I would be comfy and not need to work.

lilraerae Tuscaloosa
08/29/12 4:58 pm

I would still work because I'd open up my own business and make more money.

jms in the middle of Nowhere
08/29/12 11:02 am

AbuBakr- please see my note below to Taboo and apply it to yourself. Don't be a stupid, ignorant loser. I'm not saying you are right now but if you do what you say you would do with the money, you would become one.

jms in the middle of Nowhere
08/29/12 10:57 am

Bondi- I'm over 40 and certainly not a burden on the economy when I spend more in a month than you see in 6 months. And I'm not talking about spending on bills. I'm talking spending because I want to. Oh, and I don't have SS at this point. I'll be sure to request your donations when I do get it.

jms in the middle of Nowhere
08/29/12 10:52 am

Taboo- and then you would end up a stupid, ignorant idiot living off welfare when the money ran out and you got sick from the STD's those whores gave you.
You're better off to stay in school. Yes, I'm a Mom and that's what Moms say because we are smarter than you.

jms in the middle of Nowhere
08/29/12 10:50 am

If it was something I LOVE, I would still work. If I didn't have any work that I really loved, I would travel!!! I would learn the things I've always wanted to learn.

BeNotAfraid missing my sunrise
08/29/12 8:34 am

I'm not sure. Tell ya what, give me the $20M, and six months. I'll get back with ya, lol.

08/29/12 7:46 am

@TabooGoose lol that won't last for awhile kid.

ACLRR South Carolina
08/29/12 6:45 am

Already retired. Set up income for life and contribute to my favorite charities.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
08/29/12 5:59 am

I tried having a summer off while in school. I got bored and sore from sitting around. I'd rather establish my own company and be the idea man, while letting someone else oversee the day-to-day nuts and bolts of it.

TabooGoose
08/29/12 5:57 am

I would have crazy parties and a lot of women, during the day I would play a lot of basketball and go make fun of all the other kids who have to still be in school

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
08/29/12 5:42 am

We would probably buy a lot of land and build a farm. Though I would love to work at Disney or Universal again

THEohiostate
08/29/12 4:36 am

Being an architect, i would find it hard to draw things, and not be able to make it a reality. I would defenitely continue working.

uturn55 Florida
08/29/12 2:19 am

Fact is ( dipstick) the government borrowed money from social security, against laws, and couldn't pay it back. That's why you guys are screwed, not because of baby boomers. And honestly as soon as we DO die ASAP we won't have to listen to your simple minded whining.

uturn55 Florida
08/29/12 2:12 am

Furthermore you sound like someone who wouldn't mind burying your folks for destroying your future. Wow, what a freakin' idiot. Brush up on your history a little before you go blaming people.

uturn55 Florida
08/29/12 2:06 am

Hey Bondi, I'm old but I did figure out math,,, if you put even half of that money in a bank that pays 3% interest, and you lived as though you were a regular working class, you could live very well just off the interest. In fact at that rate of spending you couldn't spend it all in a lifetime!

obamasuxx
08/29/12 12:10 am

One question where "both" is a legitimate option.

08/29/12 12:02 am

The under 50k will work because they know that $20 million will not be $20 million half of that money will probably go to the government fundings and the baby boomers who don't deserve a penny due to the fact that they had destroyed this great country's economy. Ban Social Security.

08/28/12 11:59 pm

Over 40 are a burden to our economic budget and must be controlled. They believe that $20 million will solve their problems, but thats because they are old and near their death beds and dont care for the younger generation. This is the reason why the baby boomers had failed our economy.

08/28/12 11:57 pm

Under 21 I am proud of you.
Over 40 and baby boomers, I hope you all die ASAP because you parasites are eating the Social Security.

JHawk3205 MD
08/28/12 10:44 pm

After taxes that doesnt leave you w much... Enough to survive, sure, but not enough to guarantee financial security for the rest of your life, especially if you have a family..

praetorianus65
08/28/12 10:15 pm

Not surprising - young people want to accomplish something while older ones are fine with leaving the rat race. It should however still be pointed out that if you have money, you have the means to accomplish a lot without regular employment. Your money works, not you.

elbow82 Veganland
08/28/12 9:35 pm

Like flpt, I would donate to animal shelters/orgs, and travel. I'd also like to work with something vegan-related and create art, perhaps for sale.

praetorianus65
08/28/12 9:11 pm

The only reason that comes to my mind why keep on working for profit is if you are a businessman and simply enjoy making money. Maybe you own a business and it is your life and you want it to grow. But this isn't the majority who voted work.

praetorianus65
08/28/12 9:08 pm

You could travel the world and write a book about it - don't worry about finding a publisher, you can afford self publishing. Or if you like mountain climbing you have the time and resources to climb any mountain. Or do unpaid charity "work " - the list is endless.

praetorianus65
08/28/12 9:05 pm

Some people seem to think this is between being active or vegging out - it is not but instead between keeping payed employment or not. You can be extremely active without "working ".

dotsonj
08/28/12 9:02 pm

I would definitely take some time off to travel, but I couldn't stand just sitting at home all day doing nothing...

vette
08/28/12 8:57 pm

If you love what you do, you'll never "work" a day in your life