Show Of Hands October 23rd, 2012 12:00am

Should parents raise a child as a member of the opposite sex if the child shows early signs of gender identity disorder? (UQ)

HPNerd Hogwarts
10/29/12 2:08 pm

Let them decide. Don't raise them as either, let them go the way their body and mind want.

cowboy Doors of Perception
10/29/12 10:50 am

Really? That's called child abuse. What the hell is wrong with people? Aren't parents supposed to protect children from whack-jobs? This question disgusts me.

brinrawson Knoxville and DC
10/28/12 2:12 pm

As a small child, you can't really know if it is them playing or really the disorder. Let them decide when they're old enough to know what's happening.

EarlyBird Portland
10/28/12 8:13 am

What a complete lie! Your nose just grew 2 feet.

edmo4
10/28/12 8:04 am

RoganKenzie, even if a child cannot comprehend, why enforce societal stereotypes on what should be an individual's expression of self?

10/28/12 5:14 am

An individual is transgender with or without surgery. The term transsexual is outdated, and for the most part, has been replaced with the term transgender. Love the username, btw ^.^

10/27/12 8:12 pm

I don't have the cites in front of me but there are existing studies that indicate that people with more androgynous qualities are more successful in life. If a girl or has dolls and dinosaurs that's a good thing. It gives a person more insight into either sex.

ivylynn
10/27/12 7:54 pm

@rogankenzie: for those heterosexuals who believe that homosexuality/sexual orientation is a choice I have only one question- when did you choose?

anonymousone Georgia
10/27/12 7:26 pm

In high school, I remember there was a boy there who would sometimes wear a long skirt. I asked him about it, he said he just liked them, and if girls could wear pants, why couldn't he wear skirts? Was he gay? No. Trangender? Nope. He just liked the style/feel of them.

anonymousone Georgia
10/27/12 7:21 pm

The kids I've known who felt like they were born in the wrong body have generally been raised with a strict sense of male/female behavior/roles. Not saying that's a rule. But, I think just being supportive in general is the best approach.

anonymousone Georgia
10/27/12 7:17 pm

I think it's not a choice of what gender they are, but let them have their own personality free from the sense that their personality is based on gender.

anonymousone Georgia
10/27/12 7:14 pm

Amen! It's the roles we're given that lead to confusion. Stop telling kids what their gender/race/age/nationality/economic status makes them, and let them grow!

anonymousone Georgia
10/27/12 7:08 pm

Let your kids be themselves. Don't put them into gender roles! How many kids grow up feeling like they aren't a member of their own gender based on a narrow view of what that means?

kgirl1992
10/27/12 1:02 pm

No but if your son is sayin repeatedly that he wants to be a girl, maybe let him pick what he wants to wear even if it's pink

kgirl1992
10/27/12 1:01 pm

It depends, if they show really strong signs I will. Not if its just the regular toddler stuff "I don't wanna be a girl cause I like trucks and only boys like trucks...." But my view is you try to keep kids gender neutral as you can, let them wear what they want and play with what they want...

PeppyHare Do a barrel roll
10/27/12 7:47 am

That would be just more confusing and damaging.

BadWolf The Library
10/26/12 9:16 pm

This isn't about sexuality

BadWolf The Library
10/26/12 9:16 pm

What is wrong with wearing a Cinderella dress?

BadWolf The Library
10/26/12 9:15 pm

So when does a child develop the ability?

BadWolf The Library
10/26/12 9:15 pm

You obviously don't understand the question.

truth1 Florida
10/26/12 6:54 pm

Is tony going to be banned for posting troll questions?

Duh?
10/26/12 12:55 pm

So.... If your a democrat and your boy is a bit girly you put a dress on them?

I don't get it.

snuzzy
10/26/12 8:32 am

I accidentally posted the rest of my response on the main thread. Oops!

snuzzy
10/26/12 8:31 am

Oops! That was supposed to be in reply to the question about giving our son a conderella dress if he really wanted it. Sorry.

snuzzy
10/26/12 8:30 am

Understand though that our son is autistic & mostly nonverbal. He doesn't insist on much so if he does we pretty much give it to him.

snuzzy
10/26/12 8:20 am

Yes I probably would if he really wanted it.

RoganKenzie Ohio
10/26/12 7:58 am

So we should let young children make life altering decisions?

RoganKenzie Ohio
10/26/12 7:54 am

Think>> You're really helping to end this country's inability to cooperate...keep it up!

RoganKenzie Ohio
10/26/12 7:49 am

Its like anyother disorder, if a person feels suicidal that doesn't make it o.k for them to act on that. In the same vein feeling like you're "in the wrong body" doesn't mean the best solution is to act on those feelings.

RoganKenzie Ohio
10/26/12 7:40 am

JFradley: In my experience Sexual Orientation is a choice.

RoganKenzie Ohio
10/26/12 7:38 am

That's a rather weighty choice to be left up to a child.

RoganKenzie Ohio
10/26/12 7:37 am

In the case of children they don't have the capacity to make a decision like that so the parents ought to go with what is societly acceptable until that child is capable of making those choices.

RoganKenzie Ohio
10/26/12 7:35 am

I don't think that playing with G.I Joes has much affect on one's sexual choices.

RoganKenzie Ohio
10/26/12 7:34 am

Children don't biologicly have the capacity to make such a weighty decision so the parents should just take the safe route and go with what occurred naturally.

10/26/12 1:22 am

Thank you level headed America!!!!!

StoneGeorge California
10/26/12 12:00 am

I would not get my son the Cinderella dress. There are times where children need a leader, someone to show the right path even if they are kicking and screaming along the way. They will be making their own decisions soon enough.

AnnieM The Island
10/25/12 11:39 pm

Shih tzus and hamsters are two different species, not two different genders. Not even close to a relevant argument or analogy.

AnnieM The Island
10/25/12 11:34 pm

So how many hail Marys or how long should I beg God for mercy for choosing to have surgery to correct my scoliosis.
I mean, He created me with scoliosis, so I must have been a selfish, idiotic, jackass to try to correct God's work.

AnnieM The Island
10/25/12 11:31 pm

...vice versa.
It's uncommon, but happens. It isn't simply a girl preferring boys clothes and playing sports, it's a true feeling down to your core that you were born in to the wrong skin and it can make the person feel like an outsider and feel like every moment of their lives is a lie.

AnnieM The Island
10/25/12 11:29 pm

Gender Identity Disorder isn't just an odd personality quirk or a teen going through a rebel-without-a-cause phase. It's a disorder where the person truly feels that he or she was born in to the wrong body. A girl truly feels Ike she is in every way a boy except for her reproductive organs and...

AnnieM The Island
10/25/12 11:24 pm

Out of honest curiosity: Suppose your 3 year-old said he wanted Santa to bring him a Cinderella dress and was adamant about it. Would you get him a dress-up set/dress as a gift?

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
10/25/12 10:02 pm

Is a G.I. Joe considered a doll?? since some say boys shouldn't play with dolls and I knew lots of them as a kid who had them and who are straight AND gay...

tdubbs12
10/25/12 6:53 pm

Why can't a boy show feminine traits and still be a boy? Why stereotype gender traits?

emsies Seattle
10/25/12 6:16 pm

BS.
Absolute BS.

emsies Seattle
10/25/12 6:16 pm

Depends on how early the signs are. Some boys just like to play with dolls and some girls just like to play with trucks, that doesn't necessarily mean they have a gender identity problem.

zab
10/25/12 5:01 pm

Theres an inherent problem with this question in that it adheres to the gender binary to begin with. Dont raise the child as any gender, let 'em choose for themselves

snuzzy
10/25/12 4:21 pm

To start that now would be inappropriate. It would only generate more confusion later on IMO.

snuzzy
10/25/12 4:19 pm

We have a boy & a girl. Our little boy (3) will put on a dress if his sister (8) is playing dress up. That doesn't mean he has gender identity issues. I won't starting buying him dresses because of that. When he is older if he feels like he's born in the wrong body I will be supportive THEN....