Show Of Hands July 7th, 2012 12:00am

Do you think this week's scientific discovery of the Higgs particle, nicknamed the "God particle" by some, holds important meaning for us average folks or just for the wild-haired physicists?

ishady 86451132020
07/17/12 11:36 am

Discoveries like these could lead to a new source of energy or new types of computers and the end of oil dependence. Everyone could be affected.

lorith79 Culver City, CA
07/14/12 10:20 pm

Oh wow, now some day we'll be able to better understand gravity...I guess it could help everyone if we could extract it from our bodies to lose weight...

surgeon
07/14/12 6:11 am

Back in the 1400's a bunch of guys were sitting around saying who cares if the world is round, just tell me how this changes my life. If we had taken that money and spent it on the peasant folk we could have eliminated famine too.

Perot4Prez
07/10/12 7:38 pm

@spoiler: Thank you for getting it.

I meant not being normal as a compliment.

I am envious of your childhood dinner conversations.

mrcoyote Casa Grande
07/10/12 12:01 am

I dunno what it is so ima say everyone

07/09/12 1:27 pm

If they took the total money spent on that project, and used it wisely, starvation and famine could possibly be stricken from the languages

Mr.logic California
07/09/12 10:37 am

Just tell me how this affects my life, and I'll change my opinion. I need a more convincing argument than "you're just ignorant."

al3cn
07/09/12 6:46 am

Physics discoveries always affect society in some way or another.

07/09/12 5:27 am

We've known about the Higgs Boson for decades, we just couldn't prove it. It's "discovery" only proves that humans can figure stuff out before we know for certain. Now math works again-yay!

spoiler Michigan
07/09/12 4:38 am

My dad is a quantum mechanics professor/researcher. The dinner conversations w the family and the guests that shared our home when I was growing up we're not "normal" by any sense of the word. Every conversation was enlightening and mind blowing. I wish all pplcould be so lucky to experience this

spoiler Michigan
07/09/12 4:33 am

@fakesound- lol are you serious? It became the god damn particle as a joke is what I said. They just took the "damn" part out and decided to call it the "god particle". I'm going to go ahead and assume you don't know any relevant physicists, because they are NOT normal ppl lol.

Perot4Prez
07/08/12 11:52 pm

Not falling within the definition of the societal norm is not always a bad thing.

Achieving excellence beyond what is considered normal for the common person should be celebrated.

When I say that physicists are not normal, I mean it as a compliment for they truly are extraordinary.

Perot4Prez
07/08/12 11:48 pm

@FakeSound: They are not normal. Amazing pianists are also not normal. They are NOT like everyone else.

They have developed an extraordinary gift to a level not possessed by others. What they can do cannot be achieved by the common person. It is not normal to be able to do what they do.

tabbser
07/08/12 11:36 pm

Wasn't the name 'goddamn particle' rejected by some editor someplace for a publication and hence they dropped the 'damn' part ? It was referred to as the goddamn particle because of the problems in finding it. Hence why it's cost $10B to date to actually find it.

bnnt Los Angeles
07/08/12 11:28 pm

Now if they could only do some good, like curing diseases, an abundance of clean water, and stopping starvation then I would be much more thrilled.

FakeSound Arizona
07/08/12 10:33 pm

@Perot4Prez
No, they ARE normal. They're just like everyone else. Amazing pianists don't experience their world any differently than mathematicians (assuming no one here is a savant). Please do not commodify physicists like some prop. They're just dudes trying to find out how the world works.

FakeSound Arizona
07/08/12 10:31 pm

@spoiler
That, actually, is not true. It became the "God damn particle" as a joke.

Perot4Prez
07/08/12 10:05 pm

@DrReid: In my experience, physicists experience the world around them in an extraordinary way.

They are NOT normal and they should be proud of it.

nice_atheist Connecticut
07/08/12 9:22 pm

It was coined as the god particle after an author wanted to call it the godd*** particle but his editors advised him to change it.

sbakh1012 New York
07/08/12 8:54 pm

Scientists for now but it will soon affect us

DrReid Ever present.
07/08/12 8:12 pm

Everyone... And remember, physicist are normal people too.

TheWatcher Ohio
07/08/12 5:56 pm

EVERYONE. This is picking away at the particles that make up the universe. FUCKING EVERYONE.

BeagleFace
07/08/12 4:39 pm

Pinkyusuck: Yep, scientists will keep searching for answers. But I hope that people can keep in mind that curiosity is what drives science forward to benefit the public. If there's a scientist whose soul motive is to disapprove the existence of God, I wouldn't consider them an asset to science.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
07/08/12 4:18 pm

Science will keep searching for smaller and smaller particles of matter to determine what holds the universe together. Eventually, they will find there is nothing smaller to discover, and that the only explanation left is that God holds it together. I just skipped all the searching for particles.

anarchy4s South Carolina
07/08/12 2:15 pm

*...atheist, and couldn't disagree....

anarchy4s South Carolina
07/08/12 2:14 pm

I'm just of the opinion that the extreme level of logic and balance found in nature is the product of design, not accident. One of my best buddies is an atheist and. Pulsing disagree more with me, but he's still a good friend...we're proof that discussion can happen without vitriol.

anarchy4s South Carolina
07/08/12 2:11 pm

RJ: saw your comment earlier. Thanks. Glad you can Be open to the idea that science an religion dont necessarily have to be diametrically opposed to each other. If that's your opinion, fine....but it doesn't have to be the "go to" talking point was my only motivation in saying that.

monkxo New York
07/08/12 2:06 pm

I accidentally hit everyone. I don't know what it is though ...

anarchy4s South Carolina
07/08/12 2:05 pm

Beagleface: I wish you were close to me...of be chasing you down trying to get a visitor's tour of your lab. :-)

StakaLee
07/08/12 1:01 pm

She blinded ME. With science!

BeagleFace
07/08/12 1:00 pm

anarchy4s: haha you've hit the nail on the head in my opinion! Glamorous it is NOT! At least not my lab... :)

anarchy4s South Carolina
07/08/12 11:42 am

...I envy those that were able to dedicate their lives to a mostly anti-glamorous field in the name of knowledge and human advancement.

anarchy4s South Carolina
07/08/12 11:41 am

I respect both theoretical and experimental scientists for their unique perspective of the universe, regardless of their field. I can understand the concepts and basics, but when it comes to the "nitty-gritty" math, anything aside from basic calculus leaves behind pretty quickly...

anarchy4s South Carolina
07/08/12 11:38 am

Beagleface: I don't live in a lab, but I'm one of those "hobbiest" fans of physics. Mainly because I keep on the Science Channel or the History Channel when I'm not watching the news. Surprised to see myself in such a minority!

forte6627 Ugh
07/08/12 11:34 am

Well this will change a number if theories into scientific laws soon.

BeagleFace
07/08/12 11:29 am

So I AM a wild-haired researcher ( although I spend all my life in a genetics lab, not a physics lab). It makes me happy to see that many of you self-proclaimed non-scientists share in the excitement of this discovery! As for the rest of you there's more to life than what you're consciously aware of

Perot4Prez
07/08/12 11:29 am

Finding it took phenomenal effort, but IMO it changes very little.

Physicists have been assuming it existed for almost half a century. Initially, all this does is validate those assumptions.

It will take years for this to be a real game changer.

anarchy4s South Carolina
07/08/12 11:01 am

*without that particle
*thinking IN those terms, its not IRREVERENT

....autocorrect. Ugh.

anarchy4s South Carolina
07/08/12 10:58 am

...that's a BIG FREAKIN HOLE in the standard model of physics, and should be humbling. We can put a guy on the moon, but don't know why that rocket and astronaut have mass! This boson answers that (hopefully). ...thinking I those terms, it's not irrelevant AT ALL to call it the "god particle".

anarchy4s South Carolina
07/08/12 10:56 am

Guys; spoiler's right. There's nothing disrespectful to any deity by calling it the "god particle". It simply shows that physicists, like everybody else, have a sense of humor. It's a fitting title on a second level. Without thy particle, we don't know why matter has mass...

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
07/08/12 10:46 am

Important for everyone IMO, unless I'm a wild-haired scientist. Lol

If you don't know what it is, at least read the Wikipedia article (where I discovered it), then do what you wish after that.

spoiler Michigan
07/08/12 8:58 am

This is a huge find although there is still a lot of research needed to confirm it. Without the Higgs Boson particle nothing would contain any mass. It's pretty amazing. It is incredibly small and it's rate of decay is incredibly fast. In order to capture this, it took an amazing amount work

spoiler Michigan
07/08/12 8:55 am

Fakesound- that's completely inaccurate. Its called the "god particle" because Higgs himself had such a hard time finding it. He always said "God damn particle" hence, "god particle".

FakeSound Arizona
07/08/12 8:00 am

@veritas...
It was named at a time when science and religion were forced into the same room and forced to fight each other—which neither side really wanted. Then, by a bunch of pretentious jerk-offs they were forced to hug—which neither side needed—and now people call it the "God" particle.

FakeSound Arizona
07/08/12 7:55 am

Republican ignorance never ceases to crack me up.

HarmieV Connecticut
07/08/12 7:55 am

I believe all people benefit from a greater understanding of our universe, of the particles that make up our own bodies.

07/08/12 7:01 am

Basically it means that physicists aren't completely wrong about everything. Seriously, most theories relied on the assumed existence of the Higgs boson so finally finding it is a huge relief to physicists.

lac
07/08/12 6:26 am

I do not think this impacts most of us at this point. It has cost $10 billion to have mixed conclusions about this particle. Until there is practical application of any science, the day to day impact is nonexistent. This "discovery" does not impact my need to get up and go to work.